BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question Hodgepodge of Questions

Hi all, admitted newbie here, with a few first timer questions.

Now, before anyone nails me to the stake for going about collecting answers in this fashion, please be advised that I have done my absolutely damndest to obtain answers to these quandaries by searching this, and other forums as much as possible (during WORK hours no less).

I'm frusterated and ready to simply get some definitive information, so I'm now choosing to go this route. If you don't want to help me or you find this irritating, that's fine, no problem -- just please don't use this thread to tear me apart for asking, I really need the help!!

Anyway, here are my burning questions, if you have any useful input to provide me with, please just post the number of my corresponding question next to your reply (so that I know what a specific response is referencing). THANK YOU!!!

Question #1.: The city forced me to apply one of their hideous inspection and parking permit tags to the front windshield of my new car. I am concerned about the sticker leaving a permanent mark on my windshield if and when the time comes to peel it off. Does anyone know if there is a precaution that I should take to avoid this happening? Anything I can do to make sure that there is no lasting mark left after removing the sticker?

Question #2: My black car has a couple of small hairline scratches that I have noticed (i think that they were possibly there upon delivery, but i'm in no mood to battle it out with BMW). I've done a pretty bang up job of limiting the noticability of the scratches with Meguiar's ScratchX, but the car is new and I know that they're still there - so it's gonna bother me. Anyway, I have a terrific detailer guy, so i think that I'm just going to take the car over to him and have the scratches buffed out. My question is: these aren't DEEP scratches, but after the car is buffed, will it be necessary for me to re-apply clear coat and wax to the buffed area (or dread -- even to the entire car)? If so, what kind of clear coat and wax is recommended? I'd really prefer to avoid a full scale wash of the car right now -- I just started a brand new job and I'm pretty swamped.

Question #3: Dusting interior electronics and other delicate inside the car equipment... does anyone have a product o duster recommendation for this? Nothing needs a true detailing yet, but I'd like to limit dust buildup as much as possible.

Question #4: Cleaning Gray Poplar wood trim? Again, doesn't need to be "cleaned" per se, I'd just like to keep it shiny and new lookin'. Product suggestions?

Thanks again everyone... especially for your patience. Feel free to haze at will.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
xSegFaultx
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, I feel like you must have been web abused before. No need to apologize for asking a few questions. I think you will find the people on this board very friendly and eager to help when they can.

Let me take a crack at these questions. I'm no professional; these are just my thoughts and my experience, so take them with a grain of salt.

1) I've had tags on my windows that I have removed after two years. They did not leave any trace after carefully scraping them off (be sure not to scratch your window) and using a Goo Gone or similar product to remove the residue. It just takes a bit of elbow grease and patience. I think tags would be more inclined to leave an outline if you didn't keep the glass clean.

2) Someone else with more knowledge may have to chime in on this one, but the way I see it is if they are just light scratches and are being buffed out, the factory clear coat is still there. A wax or polish afterwards, I'm sure, would always be highly recommended, but not necessary.

3) I typically just use a microfiber cloth on my interior. I hate Armor All, but do use a general purpose automotive interior cleaner every once in a while. If you are using it on something delicate, just go easy on the cleaner and spray it on the towel instead of the device.

4) I treat the trim as I do the rest of the non-leather interior, as outlined above.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Appreciate 0