BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Low Tire Pressure after being away on travel for 4 days

Upon return from a trip, my new 135 is showing Low Tire Pressure in the rear left tire?! It wasn't there when I left it, and no one touched it when it was parked in my garage while I was away.

I checked the pressure to be 28psi, and went to put some air back in at a local gas station. I'm not sure if it was the pump or my tire, but the tire lost a significant amount of pressure when trying to fill it back up, and dropped to 21psi.

Is the tire flat, or could it just be temperature related while it was sitting for a few days? Since these Run Flat Tires are unique, I'm not sure. It was very strange how it didn't hold any air from the pump. BMW Assist wasn't much help either, and just said best bet is to bring it in, and not drive on it anymore. If the tire is flat, would it not be able to hold air like I was observing when trying to pump it up?

Ugh, this is annoying...so strange how I see this warning now, and not when I was driving it before leaving town.

Any input's appreciated...thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

28psi is too low for sure. And I've had bad/worn air hoses damage the air valve stem core to the point that it leaked air badly.

Check the tire for any foregn object damage (nails, screws, etc.). If OK go to another air source and make sure to APPLY ENOUGH FORCE while adding air to get a good seal. Use your air gage to set the pressure to 38lbs. You will likely need to reset the TPMS per the manual. Drive it and check air pressure daily to determine if there is a slow air leak.
      08-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

thanks mikeo...I found out that air pump was out of order, and went to another today, and filled it back up. No visible damage as far as I could tell. Going to drive on it a little, and see if it leaks over the next day or two.
Appreciate 0