BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have no garage or carport / car cover or not?

I do not have a garage or carport, but I have my own parking spot right in front of my home.

I want to get a real nice car cover since I only drive my car on the weekends.

I've heard I could risk scratches/swirls with having a cover. What's better for the paint? Exposed but washed and wax regularly or covered and removed every weekend?

:iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Get a little canopy/tent set up. They are cheap and can cover just your spot. It avoids the swirls from the cover and avoids the sap and crap and whatever else nature throws at it from being in the open. Now to see if its allowed for your area..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

I strongly encourage you to consider a lightweight (but multi-layer) cover such as Weathershield by CoverCraft. I've used one of these for many years now, both when the car's at work and at home. Too light to hurt the surface, also very easily folded and plopped in the trunk, or later removed and placed on the car. I'm using one now on my Civic EX and it's a 30-45 second exercise, every time, depending on how much wind. Being light, it absorbs virtually no water and many's the time - I live in Florida - where the minute a heavy shower ends, I need to fold up the cover and put it in the trunk. No big deal.

The elastic rim gives up after about 5 years but is easily replaced. Inexpensive, easily handled, occupies a very small space in the trunk, excellent U/V protection - this has been a simple but pleasing solution over the last two cars and 13 years.

(BTW my son has a custom-built cover made of Kimberly Clark fabric, a very nice job but of a MUCH thicker, multi-layered fabric. What a huge hassle and it all but fills his Z4 3.0Si trunk. Cost twice as much. No, thanks...)

Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
this is great feed back. thanks.

I was considering a cost is no concern top of the line car cover, but now I can see the disadvantages of a heavy cover. Good if u never take ur car out often for weeks at a time, but could be a hassle each week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
I strongly encourage you to consider a lightweight (but multi-layer) cover such as Weathershield by CoverCraft. I've used one of these for many years now, both when the car's at work and at home. Too light to hurt the surface, also very easily folded and plopped in the trunk, or later removed and placed on the car. I'm using one now on my Civic EX and it's a 30-45 second exercise, every time, depending on how much wind. Being light, it absorbs virtually no water and many's the time - I live in Florida - where the minute a heavy shower ends, I need to fold up the cover and put it in the trunk. No big deal.

The elastic rim gives up after about 5 years but is easily replaced. Inexpensive, easily handled, occupies a very small space in the trunk, excellent U/V protection - this has been a simple but pleasing solution over the last two cars and 13 years.

(BTW my son has a custom-built cover made of Kimberly Clark fabric, a very nice job but of a MUCH thicker, multi-layered fabric. What a huge hassle and it all but fills his Z4 3.0Si trunk. Cost twice as much. No, thanks...)

Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I vote for wash and wax regularly. The problem is not with the cover itself, but from micro particles of dust and other crap that then get rubbed between the car and the cover, especially if the cover gets moved around in the wind, which it will if you park outside in Florida. On the other hand, Jack in St. Pete seems to have had good experiences with covers in FL, so YMMV.