BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Large Scratch From Plastic Garbage Can

Started to pull out of my garage an hour ago and the PDC was beeping. It usually beeps a bit since it detects the sides of the garage opening, but I saw something red blink for a second, then heard a little noise, and before I knew it, I saw a brown plastic garbage can next to my door.

It was the perfect storm so to speak, a stealth attack, since the PDC goes off for the door frame, and the side mirrors were in. Can was too short to see in the rear view.

Bottom line, I have no idea how plastic could do this, but there is a decent scratch on my brand new car with 1200 miles on it. It shows white in 2 spots, but otherwise looks more like a plastic scuff mark rather than anything else. However, the quick detailer didn't take it off.

I called Griot's and they said since it can catch my fingernail, not much I can do.

Bottom line, can anyone provide me an estimate for a repair and give me a recommendation for a place near Monmouth County New Jersey?

Thanks for any input. Photos to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Need to see photos to better understand
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I went to take photos and the battery was dead. I used some Meguiar's Scratch X and it didn't do all that much. Battery is charged and photos will be up tomorrow.

What happened was the ridge of the garbage can must have just rubbed up against the driver's side of my car. I couldnt see it in my rear view since its too low, and my side mirrors were in.

Think about the odds here that I managed to do this and not knock over an empty plastic garbage can. Just my luck.

I rub my finger on it and I can feel the scratch with my nail. Thats in the worst part (which is not that big)

I think bottom line is that I want to get my car professionally detailed and waxed at the end of september early october in anticipation of the winter salt.

Thanks again for all the help fellas, it puts my mind at ease.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

pictures would be great.

Larry where in NJ are you?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain View Post
pictures would be great.

Larry where in NJ are you?
Give Phil a call he is a great detailer....

Other wise....use touch up paint, wet sand, then polish using some Menzerna PowerGloss and finish with Super Intensive Polish and finally PO106FF. Use Orange and White pads respectfully. If you have any questions please feel free to PM

PS: Stay away from scratch X
      08-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

just do what I did and call it a birth mark and live with it!
      08-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you don't want to fix it yourself call some of the local car dealers and see who they use for touch up repairs. Most dealers use them for rock chips and minor damage.

I once watched a bumper being repaired at a Lexus dealer because of transporter damage. They wet sanded the area, mixed the paint, sprayed color and clear coats, buffed all in a couple of hours.

If you want to do it yourself and it is not through the color coat:

1 - Fill the scratch with clear coat (most auto parts stores have this).

2 - Give the repair a couple of days to dry.

3 - Take a low nap cloth (the blue disposable shop towels work ok, non-woven disposable towels are best if you can find them, the best around the house is old underwear), stretch it over a credit card. Lightly dampen the cloth with lacquer thinner. Working at 90 degrees to the repair cut down the clear paint you applied to the level of the original clear coat.

Touch up paints are lacquer based factory automotive paints are not. So the lacquer thinner cuts the paint repair but not the factory paint. It may take several tries but you can alway remove all the clear you apply with the lacquer thinner and try again. This method works with color coats also.

As always, try this out in an inconspicuous area first to be sure you do not damage anything.
      08-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

by 'hanging the fingernail' on the damage, are you sure it's not the garbage can that transferred some of its plastic material to your bumper on impact? seems kinda odd that your paint would get scraped right off with such a low impact with a very flexible object...

if that's the case though, a clay bar or a good polish would get it right out.

i'm not a big fan of the 'fill with touchup paint' method, with or without clearcoat, especially on a new car. you will always still see it and it will drive you crazy. usually on bumpers, they sand the scraped area smooth, and blend the paint/clearcoat on the edges of the painted area. it's a very simple job, really.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Yes, I have to wonder if the "fingernail hang" is actually some of the plastic from the garbage can transferring to your finish.

I'd try Darth One's suggestion, and see if it works. If it doesn't, there is nothing lost. You just move on the the next more aggressive step (machine polishing).
Appreciate 0