BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question Sheepskin Mits? Loosening Grime?

Can anyone recommend a brand of sheepskin mit for car washing? Preferably something that can be ordered over the internet (my local car stores are just terrible).

Also, is it acceptable to hit my car with Megs QD before applying two bucket method? I know that I'm not supposed to scrub at ALL with the mit, but I'm thinking that maybe this could help to loosen some of the worst grime so that I won't have to go back and attack it again afterwards...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
Can anyone recommend a brand of sheepskin mit for car washing? Preferably something that can be ordered over the internet (my local car stores are just terrible).

Also, is it acceptable to hit my car with Megs QD before applying two bucket method? I know that I'm not supposed to scrub at ALL with the mit, but I'm thinking that maybe this could help to loosen some of the worst grime so that I won't have to go back and attack it again afterwards...

Thanks!

Go to autogeek.net, the sheepskin wash mit they sell is by far the best quality I've found. I would recommend a couple sheepskin wash mits in your wash bucket, one for the top/trunk/hood and upper area's of the sides of your car. Then another sheepskin for the lower areas, nose, back. I would not use the Meqs QD spray before you wash. Just rinse the car off really well, then get your wash mits really soaked in your favorite car wash soap. Use really light pressure when using the mits, just let them glide, then rinse in your rinse bucket.

Ensure at the end of your wash day you rinse your sheepskin mits in clean water then let them air dry. I made the mistake of leaving them in my wash bucked with a sealed lid, and ruined two mits.
      08-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

08-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

John, much thanks for the words of wisdom!

What about stubburn stains though? I park on the streets of DC, so when I DO finally get around to washing, there's bound to be some crap on there that won't come off with a swipe or two of a sheepskin mit. Do you recommend I just repeatedly wash the car with those until the stuff has come off, or is there another way of going about this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
John, much thanks for the words of wisdom!

What about stubburn stains though? I park on the streets of DC, so when I DO finally get around to washing, there's bound to be some crap on there that won't come off with a swipe or two of a sheepskin mit. Do you recommend I just repeatedly wash the car with those until the stuff has come off, or is there another way of going about this?
Depending on what your dealing with (tree sap etc.), just a regular wash may not remove the stains. First thing, I would recommend you buy a good sealant (Zaino I highly recommend:biggrin.

Next, if after a regular wash, you still have these "stains", your going to need something more aggresive to remove them.
In all fairness, if you have tree sap or something on the paint remain after a good wash, then what ever it is, its probably slowly etching into your clear coat and will require immediate attention.

I would try using your spray detailer with a good microfiber cloth after your wash to remove anything that is left on the paint. If it is not easily removed, then your going to need to polish the paint to remove it.
      08-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Polish the paint using Scratch X?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Polish the paint using Scratch X?

I'm not a big fan of Scratch X, however, you can use it with a foam pad to try and remove small surface defects. I would only use it on very small area's.

For tar and even sap, I would recommend-

This has worked well, I would use this first. Then wax/seal after use.
      08-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

So after washing/drying, the apply this stuff? Do I need to wash/dry AGAIN after doing that, or can I skip straight to waxing? (I can't imagine having the time to seal unfortunately)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Zaino also makes a cleaner/swirl remover wax. It does a fantastic job removing small scratches and Debris. You can apply a Zaino sealer right after. I know it's tough to find the time, but if you reserve one long afternoon and apply a few coats of Zaino, wash and detail times will be cut in half. I try to always keep a fresh coat, tree sap and grime simply falls off the car with light pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

I like using 3M imperial hand glaze to remove anything left after washing. The quick detailer works as well, and doesn't remove the wax like the IHG does. Another option is using a clay bar, which I recommend looking into. It is good to clay before waxing if nessecary (when you feel roughness on the paint). After using a clay bar you should rewash the car. if you use Quick Detailer, or a glaze you don't need to rewash
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

You guys have been great, thanks so much for all of the help! Can I do this:

1. Wash
2. Megs Quick Detailer on remaining spots
3. Wax

I know that looks SUPER simple, but just theoretically speaking, if I didn't have time for anything else, would that be an acceptable protocal? Also, if I were to go with something that simple, what would be the best wax to use? Still Zaino?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

Yup, that should work out for you. I like Meguires #26 High Tech Yellow. It makes the Montego Blue on mine look a lot darker and richer. Lots of people swear by Zaino, but its different from most waxes out there and should be used in conjunction with their whole system.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'm one that lives by Zaino. I just find it's easier to apply, last longer and has greater protecting properties. Agreed, use in conjunction with other Zaino products. There are plenty of other great products out there though, I haven't tried them all but was happy with Zaino so I stuck with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Before going to a polisher I would try a claybar. Just remember the claybar takes off any wax/sealant so you will need to reapply afterward.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Red face

What if I don't know if the dealer waxed my car prior to delivery? If I use the two bucket method before re-waxing, can I be assured that the previous coat of wax has been removed?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What if I don't know if the dealer waxed my car prior to delivery? If I use the two bucket method before re-waxing, can I be assured that the previous coat of wax has been removed?

Wash the car with Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent......the high alkaline content will strip any wax on the vehicle. This is a recommendation from the Zaino web site.

I only do this when I want to strip the car of any wax/sealant.

From the Zaino web site-
Step 1—STRIP THE OLD WAX
  • <LI class=body-font>Wash the car, going top to bottom, with Dawn Ultra® liquid detergent. <LI class=body-font>Thoroughly rinse the car with a pressurized hose and spray nozzle. Make sure all detergent soap is gone. Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car. :biggrin:
  • Dry completely using only clean, soft, absorbent towels.
      08-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

CBLW, here's a simple plan to keep your car looking great-

Upon delivery follow these steps-

1. Wash with dawn
2. Dry car with a large Microfiber detail towel (Purchase this at Target, its the large one in the detail section)
3. Wax Car with- NXT Tech Wax 2.0(apply to the car and let dry to haze, remove with microfiber, this stuff is so easy to remove its amazing!!)
4. In between wax jobs and after every car wash use mequiars ULTIMATE QUIK DETAILER....

Only use Microfiber cloths on the car..... Grey ones from Target work great for detailing:biggrin:
      08-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Dish soap should do the trick, or a claybar.

I like clay.

Appreciate 0