BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
brikman45
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

covered oil changes

Hi All,

Like any good Addict, I paid for a BMW oil change after the initial break-in period. Now my trip computer is saying I don't need service until my car reaches 22K miles!

My question is this: am I entitled to an oil change covered by BMW every 15K miles, or only when my computer tells me its time to go in? My SA tells me that I'm only eligible for an oil change when the computer says so or when the age of my car hits 1yr. Wouldn't this be a negative incentive for paying for a non-covered oil change as it "resets" the computer?

Thanks,
Brian
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Oil services are covered when the car says they're due or a year has passed since the last warranty oil service. The counter should not have been reset when you had your oil changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

guess im in the minority, but i didn't get an oil change at 1000 miles. i know it can't hurt, but i guess i figure if the car needed an oil change this early, the dealership would have told me so....i mean its extra money for them....
thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikman45 View Post
Hi All,

Like any good Addict, I paid for a BMW oil change after the initial break-in period. Now my trip computer is saying I don't need service until my car reaches 22K miles!

My question is this: am I entitled to an oil change covered by BMW every 15K miles, or only when my computer tells me its time to go in? My SA tells me that I'm only eligible for an oil change when the computer says so or when the age of my car hits 1yr. Wouldn't this be a negative incentive for paying for a non-covered oil change as it "resets" the computer?

Thanks,
Brian
i paid for a non-covered oil change. they shouldn't reset the computer. i suggest you contact them ASAP and get them to reset it back. BTW, you can do the non-covered oil changes at indy shops to save $.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Recently had my oil changed; no computer reset.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
guess im in the minority, but i didn't get an oil change at 1000 miles. i know it can't hurt, but i guess i figure if the car needed an oil change this early, the dealership would have told me so....i mean its extra money for them....
thoughts?
the dealer won't tell you you need an oild change until the free one is scheduled. regardless of this, people who have changed it at 7,000 miles have said that the oil and filter looked pretty filthy. some people have done oil analysis at the required 15,000mile mark and said that the results said it should had been changed before then.

why don't the dealers tell you to get it changed, its money in their pocket?

couple of reasons:
1) they don't want to contradict BMW, their boss, in any way.
2) they are already working at max capacity, so whether you pay for an oil change or not, they will make the same amount of profit that day (they only have so much mechanic time and its already being paid for by BMW when people come in for warranty/scheduled repairs).

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0