BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

Arrow Pen, Elbow marks on doors

I received some markings on the inside of my doors (I have the leader taupe package, so am not sure if the doors also have the leather trim.maybe not). One is on my driver side do to my elbow rubbing on the top panel of the door while I drive wearing short-sleeve shirts and the other is a blue pen mark on the passenger side due to a little accident.

I tried to stay away from chemicals and rub off the residue with a plain micro-fiber cloth. But the stains are not coming off.

Does anyone suggest any practical way to get these markings off? I am willing to go to the chemical path. Just what is gentle to use?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
2AD Tanker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Black Sapphire Metallic

I would try a leather cleaner such as Meguiar's or Mother's
and then also condition the seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

303 Upholstery cleaner is excellent as well.
      09-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger127 View Post
I received some markings on the inside of my doors (I have the leader taupe package, so am not sure if the doors also have the leather trim.maybe not). One is on my driver side do to my elbow rubbing on the top panel of the door while I drive wearing short-sleeve shirts and the other is a blue pen mark on the passenger side due to a little accident.

I tried to stay away from chemicals and rub off the residue with a plain micro-fiber cloth. But the stains are not coming off.

Does anyone suggest any practical way to get these markings off? I am willing to go to the chemical path. Just what is gentle to use?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!
I would try some mild detergent on a 'Mr Clean' Magic Eraser. Try it on a not so obvious spot first.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

before U try Mr Clean's Magic...

Read this... anyone else who thinks this is magic...read it!!! a very bad suggestion for leather!!!!! anywhere!!!!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14439

EspressoBoy

PS
If you really think I am kidding...buy it, take it to an old wallet or some other hard leather area and see what the result is!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

I've used it on the hard plastic area my 3 series - on the door sill to remove a tough scuff mark left behind from a red shoe. It worked great!
Also used it on the Alloy rims (removed the grease like magic)!

Spotted no signs of damage on those surfaces...

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
before U try Mr Clean's Magic...

Read this... anyone else who thinks this is magic...read it!!! a very bad suggestion for leather!!!!! anywhere!!!!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14439

EspressoBoy

PS
If you really think I am kidding...buy it, take it to an old wallet or some other hard leather area and see what the result is!!!
I have used magic eraser on tan Naugahyde before - and it worked great. I would definitely try in on an unobscure area first. Just use enough pressure to get it off, you don't need to force it. Unfortunately, if the ink has soaked into the leather it might not come off - you might have to get it dyed by a pro.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Lester, maybe you did not read my original post?

Let me explain for those who didn’t read it...
Mr Clean Magic works like sandpaper; removing a fine layer depending on how new and how hard you press the block. For hard plastic that has scuff damage, it's perfect, sanding away the permanent scuff. For leather it can remove the plastic coating and pigment. Then you will have to get professional help and maybe even replace the leather/leatherette.

As long as wtiger127 reads the details on Magic... then he can decide on what to do. If the rest of you want to continue to believe in `magic` and use it for everything... it`s your car! I went to the trouble to find the info, and to tell people that every magic has a secret, and the secret is now known.

EspressoBoy

PS
ONE, this is the right place to use magic, rims and hard plastic.

Lester,
I went to the trouble to find this for you. I am sure you also want to help people...
Taken from
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8194655AAxcoNx

"Please do not try milk or toothpaste these are silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
Magic erasers usually remove finish and pigment along with the ink."

I am just providing the info, anyone can do as they like to their own car. I just am trying to give complete information on what I have found out. Good luck all in cleaning your cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
ONE
YearOneOfThe1
Rep
Drives:

Thanks EspressoBoy... you da warrior!

Delivered: 08 “Year One -11- Of The 1” 08 - Debadged: 08 “Day One -11- Of The 1” 08
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

Yeah, thanks. That is really good info.

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger127 View Post
Yeah, thanks. That is really good info.
meSha thinks so too...

I hate the idea of someone damaging their car from a lil ol piece of white spongy foam. Always nice to know what yer using.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, Expressoboy - My experiences with the Magic Eraser have all been positive. Anything around the house, from cabinet doors, eggshell and flat latex paint, bookshelves, counter tops, aluminum blinds, fan blades, aliuminum windows, glass etc etc. I have even cleaned white leather tennis shoes, my tan naugahyde seats in my '81 320i as well as the white headliner. No detrimental effects.

As I pointed out, I would not use it on leather unless it is tested on a small inobscure patch first. When it comes to cleaning stains on leather, you are sometimes faced with whichever option will do the least harm. (One of the reasons I chose black leatherette).

I appreciate the research. I will continue to use the Magic Eraser for a lot of my chores, in fact I just picked up a six pack of the double duty ones (in the pink wrapper). They will clean where nothing worked before.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

At first I really thought it was a sponge with some chemical in it. By putting some water on it, it would activate that chemical. Anyway, after reading, as we all know... that's not the case.

I am very happy with the product too. But just imagine, someone gets a small spat on their clear display for viewing tachometer/speedometer. They read here that someone says magic will remove everything. They wipe and next thing they know, the display is blurry, and they keep wiping!

Lester, I have a pack of 4. I love it too. I know you said to "test" it. I think every “cleaning agent” says that. Anyway, we have all killed this topic and I don’t think anyone in 1addicts can possibly use Magic Eraser and not know what it does. I personally think it should be called “microscopic abrasive sponge” but I guess they would not sell as many!
BTW they also have other versions of the magic eraser... Has anyone tried them yet?
I bet we all have magic clean cars! I also wish they sold a degree of polishers... I remember working with plastic when in public school... making a plastic keychain... cut, sand, polish...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

For the ink you can try lysol. I have used it on my microfiber couch and clothing and it took ink stains out with no problem. I did try it on a girl leather pocket book or at least she said it was leather. It kind of fayded it a little. Nothing really bad but I am not sure how it will work on car leather.
      10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
danmcg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

I just got rid of pen marks on my red leather seats just 2 days ago by using rubbing alcohol on a microfiber followed by leather cleaner then conditioner. Put the alcohol on and rub gently for a little but and the pen will start to slowly disappear. I FREAKED out when I saw it. It was marks about the size of a quarter. The cleaner didn't do anything when I tried it on its own. Just make sure you use some conditioner afterwards cause the alcohol will dry out the leather...
Appreciate 0