BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

TMS Cool Willy pads

Has anyone try these? What are they like on the track compared to stock? Does it give better braking ability as well as the ability to stay out on the track longer? I have a modified track pad for the fronts which is working well (but less bite than stock pads) but the rears are falling apart as they are still the factory ones. With 3 track days coming up in the next three weeks I need to do something quick!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Has anyone try these? What are they like on the track compared to stock? Does it give better braking ability as well as the ability to stay out on the track longer? I have a modified track pad for the fronts which is working well (but less bite than stock pads) but the rears are falling apart as they are still the factory ones. With 3 track days coming up in the next three weeks I need to do something quick!
You may want to talk with original company that made the TMS pads which is Cool Carbon. The TMS pads are fairly obsolete formulation now but they do work very well. The cool carbon formulation is cutting edge technology and has only been out for few months now.

Get you pad number and see if the match up with another BMW and in many cases they do: http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/ . I would drop them an e-mail as they are adding to new application monthly.

The S/T pads really do delivery and they are stronger than the OEM pads when cold and they can take all you can dish out on them with street tires at the track. They don’t fade or deposit crap on your rotors when pushed over the limit. The power, initial bite and modulation is considerably better than the OEM pads. I’m on 5th set now since July. I go through a set of pads in 3-4 hours of track time if I’m lucky. In short, one track day = one set of pads for me.

If you going with R compound tire you can upgrade to the R/T compound which will also provide full braking power dead cold but they do squeal at ultra low speed unless you use a good squeal compound.

The pads do dust like no tomorrow on the track but on day to day drive they dust is a lot less and doesn’t stick or build up like the OEM pads.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hi Orb, unfortunately 135i uses 6 pot/2 pot Brembos which no other BMW uses. The OEM pads are also very good in initial bite and power, however you will be lucky to go 3 laps on a high speed track with them. It leaves lots of resin on the rotors once you get past 2-3 laps. Our pads do get very hot with hard usage, and I have seen over 600 degrees celcius for mine. Anyway I am getting desperate for a set of new pads as I have already gone through my factory once and a set of custom modified pads from an AMG, all in 2000 miles (of which there are lots of track time in there though). So anyone has any positive experience with any pads please let me know. I have another track day in 2 weeks and it's not looking pretty!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hi Orb, unfortunately 135i uses 6 pot/2 pot Brembos which no other BMW uses. The OEM pads are also very good in initial bite and power, however you will be lucky to go 3 laps on a high speed track with them. It leaves lots of resin on the rotors once you get past 2-3 laps. Our pads do get very hot with hard usage, and I have seen over 600 degrees celcius for mine. Anyway I am getting desperate for a set of new pads as I have already gone through my factory once and a set of custom modified pads from an AMG, all in 2000 miles (of which there are lots of track time in there though). So anyone has any positive experience with any pads please let me know. I have another track day in 2 weeks and it's not looking pretty!
I know what type of brakes you have but that is why I pointed you to Cool carbon. They only sell pads for German cars and they do Bermbo OEM as well when it is specficed.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks Orb. I emailed them yesterday and am awaiting response. I note with interest that they have pads for 128i which I am assuming share pads with some other BMW model.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

How much is that WhiteOut? And how much (in percentage) pad is left (estimated obviously!)? And lastly, how much is the shipping to Melbourne, Australia? I am keen to try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Way, I've tried the cool willy pads and did not like them. Under moderate to heavy braking during track events, I experienced some fade, glazing, and eventually significant brake judder. They are a better light duty track or autocross pad. I've ordered a set of Hawk HT-10 race pads from Turner and will be trying those in mid November. They will be harder on my rotors when cold, but should give plenty of confidence under heavy use.
Appreciate 0