BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Remove scratches

It had to happen, was cleaning the car the other day and somehow I must have picked up grit on the cloth which acted like sandpaper when polishing the car. As you can guess I now have some nice abrasive scuff marks on the bonnet.

I know there's tons of products out there that claim to get rid of these, I'd prefer not to go through all the useless ones. Can anyone recommend a product that actually works at getting rid of scuff marks ? I'm a bit put off getting it done professionally as I only just got the car done with Suparguard a couple of months ago.

Thanks in advance.
      09-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
It had to happen, was cleaning the car the other day and somehow I must have picked up grit on the cloth which acted like sandpaper when polishing the car. As you can guess I now have some nice abrasive scuff marks on the bonnet.

I know there's tons of products out there that claim to get rid of these, I'd prefer not to go through all the useless ones. Can anyone recommend a product that actually works at getting rid of scuff marks ? I'm a bit put off getting it done professionally as I only just got the car done with Suparguard a couple of months ago.

Thanks in advance.
How deep are they? Can you feel them with your fingernail? If not, I would treat your car to ZAINO starting with Z5, then Z2, repeating if necessary then followed with Clear Seal.

If they are deep scratches, you may have to use an orbital with some light abrasive scratch remover.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

I cannot feel them, you can only see them when looking at an angle. Face on they are near invisible.

Not heard of that one, will give Zaino a look.

Thanks
      09-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I cannot feel them, you can only see them when looking at an angle. Face on they are near invisible.

Not heard of that one, will give Zaino a look.

Thanks
Then ZAINO is the answer. You will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Found a UK reseller, wow Zaino aren't cheap! $180 for the kit.
      09-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Found a UK reseller, wow Zaino aren't cheap! $180 for the kit.
It will probably last for a couple of years, as you use very little (after the first treatment).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Would this be a problem using the Zaino stuff on paintwork that's already be done with Supaguard?
      09-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Would this be a problem using the Zaino stuff on paintwork that's already be done with Supaguard?
They recommend using Dawn dishwashing soap and claybar to remove previous wax.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This is ridiculous. Zaino is terrific if you have the time, energy, and money, but it sounds like all that the OP really needs is a nice tube of ScratchX and a foam applicator. No big deal.
      09-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd prefer not to spend large amounts of money for a couple of abrasive marks. Scratch X is fairly cheap in the UK. I am going to try this first and see how it goes.
Are the scratches actually removed with Scratch X, or does it just add a layer over the scratch that eventually wears off?
      09-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

I used to detail cars for a shop and we used 3M finishing material. It did wonders to swirl marks and many of my friends cars who had scratches or hazed paint.

EDIT: for best and easier results deffinitly use an orbital.
      09-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

ScratchX actually REMOVES surface scratches, yes.
      09-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I love Griots Fine Hand Polish for removing swirls and light scratches.

I did the same thing as you did, and finally fixed it last weekend. The finish looked better than delivery when I was done (and it's easy to apply and remove too).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've had good luck with Mequiar's #7. It's a gentle polish that won't remove scratches but it will fill them in and make them much less noticeable. I usually apply Mequiar's #26 wax over it for long lasting results. :smile:

I always try it first before resorting to something stronger that may end up making matters worse by further damaging the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #15
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Bluemoon, but does it get rid of the scratches permenantly or just superficially cover them and 3 months down the line you have to repeat the process?
      09-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Bluemoon, but does it get rid of the scratches permenantly or just superficially cover them and 3 months down the line you have to repeat the process?
esscolab, it's just a polish that acts as a cover up for light surface scratches. I found it will last a good 6-9 months if followed up immediately with a coat of good quality paste wax. But depending on how deep your scratches are and how critical you are of the results, you may need to use a stronger product.

Whatever you use, try it out first on the smallest, most inconspicuous spot possible. Personally I'm afraid of using any abrasive product that removes paint. If it bothers me that much, I'd rather let a professional fix it or I just live with it. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Dear Lord people, ScratchX!! lol