BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Concept BMW X1 .

09-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Concept BMW X1 .

http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/video/ZCQO4...1%3A%20Trailer

The BMW X vehicles appeal to differing demographics and occur at separate premium market segments. Each model In the BMW X series has unique design aesthetic and of course dynamic focus than the overall look leads you to believe.

The BMW X series which commenced with the BMW X5 led to the very first compact SAV in the premium segment that car was the BMW X3. Although universally received by the market. The BMW X3 received a poor introduction as the car was developed to be more of a companion to the later E70 X5 rather than the then-current E53 X5.
The BMW X3 was not as considered a product cannibalization of the X5 as the new larger E70 X5 would vindicate the smaller X3 which it did.
The media seemed to vigorously derise the X3's design aesthetic in which the customer understood the intention of the BMW X3.
And sales from early 2004 to today justify the acceptance of the BMW X3.

Every BMW X project is carefully considered and thouroughly devleloped through implementation of vigorous research and utilization of brand perception and identity.

BMW X1 is BMW's interpretation of the "urban" SAV.
research for this exciting new BMW Concept took everyone from design , engineering and marketing back to their youth.
Music, art , film , Memories , things like pure urbanism you have experienced in your life one of my particular favourites was 1995 New York City a street in East Village at night , busy , energetic , music , just people having a great time on a very warm evening to a current jazz bar in Munich - so much creativity gives a feel to urbanism .
Today urbanism condenses city life with the above but also in design and architecture and performing street art , eg. Parkour or free-running is an expression of urbanism.

The BMW X1 offers a new perspective as a compact premium Sport Activity Vehicle. Not only as the first of a kind in it's segment for the market but villifies the entire 1er model line as the more youth orientated BMW line. Research has shown that a greater percent of 1er buyers are (A) new to the BMW Brand (B) much younger customers than expected.
with the sportiness of the 1er Coupe and the Style of the 1er Cabrio being responsible in the past year for sales growth of the 1er product line.
The BMW X1 will fit into this product line as a more compact SAV aimed at a younger demographic . Professionals who dwell in projects that identify urbanism. Throw a Roadster in the mix and you can understand BMW's approach to extending it's entry model series at a time when downsizing is becoming a very common word.

There will be comparisions to why the BMW X1 is closer to todays X3 in terms of proportion and space?
The BMW X1 will not be another product cannibalization of the X3
But like the first X3 and the previous generation X5, the next X3 will answer that question.

The Concept BMW X1 expresses it's urban intentions by being a reflection to urban life in design , colour , aesthetic , energy and creativity.
An exciting new approach as seen by BMW as a Mobile communication statement.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Scott - danke!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thank you Scott, I am very interested in this vehicle and hopefully they can keep the price close to the 1 series. Also, they need to have it ready and to the U.S. in the next couple years as that will be when I am in the market for it.

I was actually counting down the days to the Paris auto show for its release. Please keep us updated with any new information as this is very high on my list of the next vehicle to purchase. I hope the wife's civic can hold out so I can put the x1 in the running.
      09-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You gotta wonder at all this. First, the presumably BMW text (press-release?) is so badly written that's probably a bad translation of something originally written in German. It's still pretty bad if BMW is responsible for the translation. Then there's the marketting gobblity gook - "Professionals who dwell in projects that identify urbanism." What the H does that mean? The video is clearly also eurocentric, but maybe that's in advance of the Paris autoshow. You gotta wonder about their target demographic, though (such tha you can figure out). It sounds just like Mini buyers.
      09-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
If it looks hot & drives great

I'll be in line to get one, perfect for a small family & winter driving:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
123d
Rep
Drives:

Scott posts up at GCZ and it looks like snipits from those posts are compiled here. I believe the consensus is that someone uses Scott's name and posts the stuff the real Scott writes over there. There has been discussions on this before.

If you read Scotts posts on GCZ in one of them he references another site (here?) where someone is posting under his name and he says it is not him.

But for the people who don't go to GermanCarZone.com, it is nice that someone does copy useful information here, I would rather that person just quote Scott and not pretend to be him.

my $0.02

ps, anyone who cares to read the real post can go to: http://www.germancarzone.com/new-bmw...tml#post333120
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

You are back Scott!
      09-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

SO, I saw the teaser video and they are showing what appears to be a yellow X1 under the cover. Maybe the people at BMW have come to their senses and will be letting us have other yellow 1 series vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

What is the point of this vehicle? Luxurious on road SAV? Why not just get a AWD wagon? Or offer a 1 series as BMW and God intended with a hatch?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The idea was certainly developed a few years ago before the big run-up in US gas prices, when SUVs still seemed like a good idea. It's way too late and expensive to walk away now so they have to put a lot of spin on this in an effort to avoid a debacle. With the global economy slowing down this offering better has some very compelling features. It's the concept though that could be irredeamably flawed (a small, expensive, SUV). Is there a market for a very expensive Subaru Forester?
      09-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
What is the point of this vehicle? Luxurious on road SAV? Why not just get a AWD wagon? Or offer a 1 series as BMW and God intended with a hatch?
If you do some looking into this market, it is growing rapidly and Audi and Mercedes are creating similar offerings. The small SUV market grows with higher gas prices and the luxury makers want a piece of the crv/rav4 and countless others' action.
      09-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

If they hit their target weight of 3400lbs, I will be waiting outside the dealership for this (much like I did for my 135). Lots of people are in my situation, small families with few or no children with wives that want an SUV that is small and practical for everyday driving. It is almost like BMW is reading my mind, first they bring me the 135i just as I am in the market for it, then (hopefully) the x1 as my wife is looking to replace her vehicle. Get it to the market BMW.
      09-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW Concept X1.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

That's the best looking SUV I've seen. I'll take one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

HOLY COW!! I LOVE IT I LOVE I LOVE IT.

I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE.

THE 4500lb X6 goes like stink with the N54. This is the younger man's Cayenne!
      09-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

i definitely like the idea. that front end is.. interesting; a dumbed-down/cleaned-up market version of those concept renderings could be awesome...

wonder about the engine choices..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #17
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
Who did not see this coming? Anyone?

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #18
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

More BMW X1 pictures...

Here is the link to the thread on e90post:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175032

I love it! :thumbup:
      10-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #19
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

X1 Concept Pics Leaked

Finally! After revealing you the teaser image with the Bmw concept, today we bring you the leaked photos of the new Bmw X1. As you can see from the photos, the concept features a front end that reminds us of the Bmw 7-Series, while the side of the vehicle looks more like a X3 combined with the X5. The new design line that the German manufacturer is trying to implement in all of its vehicles is beginning to look better and better and due to this we can say that, in our opinion, the X1 concept should enter production as we can see it today! more photos here

Me.. I digg...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #20
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Personally, not liking the looks much. I'm also thinking it is more like an xiT version of our cars, when you look at it. The black paint on the fenders and bumpers make it appear higher than it really is. In monotone, it would like the wagon that it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #21
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

In some angles it looks nice, and in some angles it looks like Infiniti helped them in designing it. Overall i like it, its kinda different. Would love to see other colors cuz this one isnt giving it the BMW character. I think AW will look cool, well have to wait and see.

Any idea what engines we're getting on those?
      10-01-2008, 03:04 AM   #22
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

Notice the chrome/aluminum finish roof blade ( rack )? I think it'll look much better without them, it'll make it more sportier than is and will give it a lower roof line look.