BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sell my Duc or not?

10-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Question Sell my Duc or not?

I have an '05 Ducati 620 Monster with less than 5K miles. I haven't ridden in over a year, and commuted on it a handful of times last season. I use to ride it plenty when I lived in PA, but riding in NOVA is simply boring and too dangerous. Not to mention, with option of driving the 1er, the Duc is an easy second.

I know I'll miss it, especially with likely return to PA in a few years.

I don't owe anything on it, only cost is insurance and registration. What do you think...should I off-load it? Add some financial cushion to these bad times? Just cancel insurance and turn in the tags and hold on for the future? :iono:

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Since it IS a Duc I would keep it. If you dont plan on riding it for a bit just turn those tags in and pocket the money you were paying in insurance. Ducs dont depreciate as much as the Japanese bikes and are almost instant classics. I am actually looking at a S4RS Tri-colore right now...trying to decide if I should pull that trigger or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
pit1
Captain
Rep

That's a gorgeous bike. One of the most beautiful bike's they've ever made, although the new GT Sport and Paul Smart rep are both

The fact that it's a Duc is the one thing holding me back. I recently took the cover off and get good reminder why I still have it every time I pull in the garage.

Additionally, I just have a newfound fear of riding. I've seen all too many motorcycle accidents this season. To top it off, my wife just T-Boned someone last week who ran a stop sign. Luckily her Jetta did the whole safety thing it's known for and she walked away unharmed. So have to think, if that were me on a bike...sure may have been able to swear or stop in time, but if not....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I sold my triumph because of terrible drivers here

and posts like this scare me, stupid people kill motorcyclists

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17654
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
That's a gorgeous bike. One of the most beautiful bike's they've ever made, although the new GT Sport and Paul Smart rep are both

The fact that it's a Duc is the one thing holding me back. I recently took the cover off and get good reminder why I still have it every time I pull in the garage.

Additionally, I just have a newfound fear of riding. I've seen all too many motorcycle accidents this season. To top it off, my wife just T-Boned someone last week who ran a stop sign. Luckily her Jetta did the whole safety thing it's known for and she walked away unharmed. So have to think, if that were me on a bike...sure may have been able to swear or stop in time, but if not....
Yeah it called out to me when I saw it...LOL. My buddy has one of those replicas in Red. He is a Duc head thru and thru...has like 4 Ducs. One is the replica, one is a 749s, and the other two are race prepped bikes but I forget the displacements on them...I will have to ask him again...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
pit1
Captain
Rep

DesmodiciRR is down right ridiculous and overpriced...I LOVE IT!!!

Mega, I think the fear, or call it logical realization is setting in for many riders...traffic in metro areas is creating dangerous riding conditions.

I'm an avid personal watercraft rider, I've been riding for 9 years and I have no hesitation to push it, given land is within .5 miles. Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe I'm being sensible, but I see too much danger in the motorcycle now. I'm a decent rider, but no expert, and NOVA drivers...well, if you've ever driven here I don't think I have to explain.

So is it Sensible, a good move??? or Paranoid, I'll regret it endlessly???
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I kept my dualsports so I can ride the mountain forest service roads, less stupid drivers there

I've been cut off, pulled in front of, merged into more times than I care to remember
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

AS soon as you sell it, you will want to ride it. Then you will be like man I shouldnt have sold it. your 1 is new and you rather drive it, the weather is changing and what not, so that is what makes people make rash dicisions.
wait for the summer to come back around .

never mind, you should sell it and you should sell it really cheap since the economy sux. pm me I will buy it. lol.
      10-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i regret selling my bike... .but i had so many close calls over the 2 yrs i rode.
sell it and dont look back...