BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

Brake dust solution for 128ers

Thought I would share my brake dust solution.

I finally gave up battling the brake dust problems with the BMWs I've had over the years. Did a search and found a company called Cool Carbon Performance. I do not know if this is or was the same Cool Carbon that went out of business and was taken over by Turner Motorsports. The current company (through their website) looks to be in business though.

In any event, I had their street/track front pads installed last week. The features I was looking for were 1) equal to or better stopping power than OEM, 2) low dust and 3) quietness. I do not track or autocross my car so I cannot tell you how they might perform under those conditions. However, for daily driving I have not been disappointed. There is no dropoff in feel and no increase in pedal effort whatsoever. No spongy feeling as well. The pads bite hard and yet do not seem to have that unrefined grabby feel. I have not tested panic stops nor tried to induce brake fade so I have no comments on those. And for all of us dust sufferers...LOW, LOW DUST!

Here are some pictures. I just finished washing and wiping the front left wheel when I took the Day 1 pictures. I did not apply any type of wheel wax or polish as I wanted an untainted evaluation of the pads' low dusting ability. The Day 4 pictures are of the front right wheel. I would have taken the front left again but I ran over some puddles which affected the results. Usually by Day 3 the wheels would have been half covered by dust with the OEM pads on. Btw, you will notice the pads have a blue backing plate in the pictures.

Cool Carbon's website does not list an application for the 135 folks, however. 135ers might want to contact them directly if interested.

All in all a good set of pads, so far.
Attached Images

12-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Do I see some rotor scoring on the Day 4 pic? Or is that just the lighting?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

What about Axxis Deluxe? I could find out if they have anything available if you guys are interested just let me know. Do you guys really believe there would be a demand for dustless solution?

Realize guys that dust is a bi-product of performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lester, it is not scoring at all. I just went outside to check and to feel and rub the surface of all four rotors. The rear rotors which still have the OEM pads have similar circular but lighter "markings" (for lack of a better word). The fronts with the new pads are slightly darker but not dark like what you see in the pictures. I did not notice if the front OEM pads gave off similar markings when I had them on. I should have paid more attention to those sort of things.

So far the new pads have been quiet and vibration free with low dust and give a confident, secure feeling.
      12-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I want something for the 135 that doesnt cost $500 AUD
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
What about Axxis Deluxe? I could find out if they have anything available if you guys are interested just let me know. Do you guys really believe there would be a demand for dustless solution?

Realize guys that dust is a bi-product of performance.
I respectfully offer a different point of view from yours. Yes there is a demand...for some kind of solution or alternative. I don't believe technology has reached a point to address a dustless solution. But current materials technology and production processes offer viable alternatives, in my case, that of a LOW dust high performance alternative that is equal to or better than oem. Others may explore wheel waxes or spray-on dust repellents. I chose the brake pad route. I certainly wasn't trying to drum up business for a brake pad company. Also, notice my topic was addressed to 128 owners. Curious as to why 135 owners took a peek. Hopefully not to just shoot down a mistaken belief of a possible solution. There is a demand no matter how scattered and unorganized it may be.

Dust has always been a bi-product of performance; but it doesn't have to be. I have no interest in acquiring racecar stopping ability. I do want an alternative that is equal to or better than oem for the specific car that I drive. Companies will never attempt to innovate or invent because we've given up and accepted things as is. If you accept the current status then technology will never advance - we all lose.