BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

NUVI GPS Mount on Cup Holder Stalk

I have finally found a use for the over-sized cup holder that came with my 135i.

Since my lifestyle does not include a morning commute with a big insulated cup of coffee, I had taken the cup holder out of the car and stored it with the rear seat headrests - also not needed since I never have any passengers in back.

I recently bought a Garmin NUVI, the new 755T, and I have been worried about mounting the disk base permanently in a location that could be seen by potential thieves when I am away from my car. I thought about several places to mount the NUVI so that it would be removable with no trace of the mount when I am not using it.

I finally thought about the big cup holder as a possible base. When I looked closely at the cup holder I realized the bottom of the holder, where the cup sits, is actually a separate plastic part that pops off easily if you stick your thumbnail or a thin knife under the edge. Once you pop off the bottom (the part with a round nickel-sized hump in the middle), you will find three T10 screws that firmly mount the upper part of the cup holder to the base.

Remove the screws with a T10 allen-type wrench or a T10 screw driver bit, and then remove the upper part of the cup holder from the base. Save the screws in case you want to put the cup holder back together when you sell the car!

Now you can use whatever creative instincts you may have to mount the NUVI suction base on the cup holder stalk. I used 3M Super 88 electrical tape, but I bet someone can come up with a more attractive solution. Whatever approach you use, you'll probably need to do it while the cup holder base is mounted in your car in order to get a stable work set-up. Or you can do what I did - wrap the bottom of the base with several layers of duct tape and then put it in a vise in your basement workshop.

Note that I put the bottom piece from the cup holder (with the little hump on it) back onto the base before I taped on the NUVI suction base. Also, I did not use Garmin's disk base at all, I just taped the suction base directly to the cup holder.

Finally, the cup holder stalk is very hard to remove if I push it in all the way each time I use the GPS. However, I have found it is sufficiently stable, and also very easy to remove, if I only push it in firmly, but not all the way. I take the NUVI with me and hide the base under the seat when I am away from my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Nice idea......you just need to figure out a more clean mounting like you mentioned.

On a side note, the Black interior always seems to take on a bluish hue in photos. Look at the difference betweend the climate control trim and the buttons. Weird, huh?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice mod.
I've never seen wood grain interior trim before. Must be a US only thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I'd never want to mount a navi below eye level but to each his own.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Very cool! I did something similar, earlier this year. It's easy to run a semi-concealed power cord back to the powerpoint under the armrest from there too!

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

Citizen Z wrote: I'd never want to mount a navi below eye level but to each his own.

I recognize your concern. I considered mentioning in my original post that having a GPS below eye level is not really safe if you glance down at it a lot while you are driving.

I'd prefer to find a way to mount it at eye level, but I don't want to leave Garmin's disk base mounted in plain view when I am away from my car since it could lead to broken windows or worse.

The cup holder location is easy for poking at the NUVI to get it set up before you start driving, and since the NUVI talks to you, you don't really have to look at it to get oriented for each turn.

Also, on many driving trips to unfamiliar locations my wife is in the passenger seat and the NUVI is easy for her to view and operate in the cup holder location, since it swivels on the mount.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I'd never want to mount a navi below eye level but to each his own.

I don't know about anyone else, but I barely glance at my nav when it's on....I LISTEN to it. FWIW, many auto manufacturers (including BMWs older systems) positioned the nav in the radio spot, about halfway up on the center stack. Certainly not eye level.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Same, here's mine. I installed an additional cigarette lighter adapter concealed under the glove box, and run my power supply to the unit through the leather boot around the Gear Level.
      12-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
tiwahu
Gamertag: Boardwalk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Garage List
Check out ProClip Console Mount Item No. 833524. I didn't have a "third" cup holder slot, so it is awesome! Garmin works great in that position. Pictures available, if anyone wants them.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
will
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Car accident waiting to happen.
6-Spd. Manual, Prem. Pkg. Sports Pkg.,
Cold Weather Pkg, Nav., Comfort Access,
PDC, Hi-Fi, iPod/USB adapter
Appreciate 0