BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Got a ticket in Sylva, NC and got questions.

Went to the mountain last week. Got a speeding ticket in Sylva, NC. The cop caught me while I was passing a car at 70 MPH. The charge is 20 MPH over the posted 50 MPH zone. I tried to go to their web site and pay on-line but could not. Their reason is since I was over 15 above the speed limit and traveling over 55 MPH. Is this true? What can I do if I do not want to go to the court and usually how much is the fine? Did any one from NC know? I've already received several advertising letters from local law firm and wanted to represent me in court such that I do not have to appear in court, but their fee is in the range of $150-200 plus court cost and fine. Do you think it is worth to hire those lawyers? Please let me know. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

Ticket

My case was a good number of years ago but it was worth the lawyer drill. He was able to get a lesser offense pleading. They all know each other and work the system well!! My record was very good so I got off with little damage.:biggrin: It is worth calling and talking to one or two and see what they tell you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I am thinking about just going to the court and pay the fines assumping the fine will be less than $200. However, I will talk to the lawyers and see what they can do for me in this case first. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Cant u just mail in the ticket w/payment?

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Find out if NC will cause points on your GA license for the infraction. If so, you are better off hiring the lawyer. They can reduce it to a non-moving violation and keep your record clean. If NC will not transmit the offense to GA, then its cheaper to just go to court and pay the fine.

Some states have arrangements like that, some don't. When I was living in VA, I got a ticket while speeding through PA. The cop told me right then and there that if I paid the fine, that was the end of it because PA doesn't report to VA about infractions that happen in their state. However, if I didn't pay, they'd definitely pursue something with my home state.

I paid it and never saw anything about it on my record.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Generally, states practice reciprocity, i.e., if 20 MPH over the speed limit in GA will result in points to the license and/or insurance, then that's what will happen if you pay off (essentially plead guilty) to the ticket in NC. As one member suggested, getting a local attorney to plead you to a non-moving violation would be best since, by definition, such are non-moving and hence, not reportable. Also, a number of states do not pick up infractions, which in NC, is defined as 15 MPH over the limit or less. There is a limit per three year period for purposes of insurance in NC, but that's beyond the scope of the answer here.

I would be surprised, if in this economy, you do not receive any number of solicitations via mail for legal services (assuming your mailing address is correct). For a 20 MPH over in NC, you should not need to appear in court, especially if you retain an attorney.

Again, state practice varies, but you can use Google to locate an attorney in or near Sylva, NC who does traffic cases and give that person or persons a call and discuss the matter.

HTH,

PGE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

First of all, according to the citation that I have to show up, plea guilty and pay the fine. Also, there is no way from their web site to find out how much and pay on line.
Second, I do receive solicitations from lawyers and I was surprise they found out so quickly.
Thirdly, the questions are to hire a lawyer or not and which is cheaper? I am not so much worry about getting point on my GA license since I do not get speeding ticket that very often. May be once every 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Court costs in NC are $121 state-wide, the fine varies with speed, probably about $50 in your case (this should be marked on the back of your pink citation if you were ticketed by NCSHP--local law enforcement forms vary). Add $100 to $150 for attorney's fee to that and give attorneys in that area or those from whom your received letters a call and see. In this economy, I'd be surprised if you have to pay much more than $100 plus costs/fine to resolve the matter without appearing and pleading to either a non-moving violation or an infraction.

Criminal (traffic) records in NC are public records, so that's how your address was retrieved.

I cannot speak to GA law, but getting points on a driver license record and insurance points are two different things. In NC, a 20 MPH over conviction will give you insurance points (as well as driver license points, but those don't matter if you don't accumulate 12 within a 3 year period); however one insurance point can raise your insurance premiums as much as 20% per year for three years. To complicate matters, in NC, this is based upon household policy, so insurance points go against the the policy, not the driver, like license points. Again, this is NC law, not necessarily GA law.

PGE
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Decided not to hire any lawyer (cost $150 plus fines). Drove 2 hours, showed up in the traffic court and waited in line for another 2 hours. The court clerk asked me what happened if they lower the charge from 60/50 instead of the originally cited 70/50, would I plea guilty? I said yes and then move on to pay my fines which is $166 ($121 court fee + $45 speeding). I am glad that I did not hire a lawyer since it would cost me $150 more just for the lawer fee. I am happy so far and would not like to see them again.
Appreciate 0