E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Malfunction

01-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
arexhepi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335xi coupe 08

Engine Malfunction

Hey guys, I've been reading these boards for well over a year. I never really posted anything, but figured this would be perfect timing. Last weekend, I started 335xi which I've had for 1 yr now. Engine Malfunction-Reduced Power light appeared. I was confused, turned it off and back on.. no problem. Figured ok maybe a glitch. Later on that weekend, it happened again, but now my exhaust was blowing out black smoke, and the care was shaking. Took it BMW service next morning. They said my engine misfired because of the cold weather, it was colder than usual weekend in NY, but my car is garaged.. and never exposed to the elements. So whatever, they said its fine and the engine will misfire because of cold weather from time to time and usually.. letting it warm up a bit and retarting does the trick. Anyway, took it... and the very next morning.. same problem on start up. I did what they suggested and it worked. I was still confused bc my garage is still above the freezing level, and even if it was in 18 degrees, I still dont think it should have a problem. As the week continued, the same problem kept occuring, until I called my service guy and said I gotta bring this in. That morning, I turn my car on... and it wouldnt turn on. Finanly got it to turn on and it made the most screeching noise ever. Smoke fuming from ONE exhaust, malfunction and 4X4 error lights and extreme shaking. Very disturbing. Anyway, I said screw it.. turned it off a couple times until it turned back on regularly and drove it about 4 miles with caution to another service dealer. I had a half tank of gas, in about 4 miles, I was kicking on fuel reserves. I told them my situation... I got a call back telling me its more than just the fuel pump.. they cant even explain how bad my engine is and they have never seen an engine this messed up and how your original service guy didnt notice this. He said prognosis looks reallyyyy bad and they wont know anything for a few days. He also mentioned that he called the original service dealer and they blamed ME for putting diesel in my car.. WTF?.. I live in NYC.. who the F puts diesel in their cars.. why would I do that.. always premium. These guys never asked me that question the first time, all they said was.. your car is fine.. now their blaming me. Plus a diesel nossel doesnt even fit into a regalar one.. but thats not the point. Anyway, the car is a lease and its on warranty...but I feel original dealer should be held responsible for my car. Im not sure what my rights are exactly with NY lemon laws.. but doesnt this sound fishy?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
GME92
BMW Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport DHP

It's your fuel pump that's bad and needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
nebz
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

i guess everyone is having that problem? ive had my car for a little over a yr now and i just start gettin this problem..
Appreciate 0