BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Dinan Spring Install Quote. Does this make sense????

Okay I talked to my dealer who informed me that the factory rate/quote from Dinan is what they charge 8.9 hrs for the install/labor plus cost of the springs. 15% off is nice...call me when it's 20-25% tho! LOL I did ask my service advisor for instance what if it doesn't take 8.9 hrs to do my car...how much is the charge then expecting him to say oh we bill at the normal $120-130/hr shop rate...To my amazement I was told they will bill 8.9 hrs no matter how long or short the job takes! WTF??? I'd think if the guy finishes my car in 4 hrs; then I should be charged that NOT another 4 hrs while he works on somebody else's ride but nope!

Anybody know if Dinan's warranty applies if you DON'T have the dealer do the work? Am curious what an independant shop would say?
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Had the same experience with my dealer for my eibach pros. The billing of "book" hours rather than actual is pretty typical of the dealer. My local dealer pays the tech on a commission (can you say conflict of interest?) so the faster he gets done the more work he gets and the more "billable" hours for the dealer.

I went to a local bimmer mechanic who charged me 3.5 hours at $75 per hour. No issues for me. Therefore, I recommend you blow Dinan off and get the eibach pros. Same drop for 1/3 the price.

Good luck!
BC
      02-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Find a dealer with another policy. Billing book hours like that is pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Okay I talked to my dealer who informed me that the factory rate/quote from Dinan is what they charge 8.9 hrs for the install/labor plus cost of the springs. 15% off is nice...call me when it's 20-25% tho! LOL I did ask my service advisor for instance what if it doesn't take 8.9 hrs to do my car...how much is the charge then expecting him to say oh we bill at the normal $120-130/hr shop rate...To my amazement I was told they will bill 8.9 hrs no matter how long or short the job takes! WTF??? I'd think if the guy finishes my car in 4 hrs; then I should be charged that NOT another 4 hrs while he works on somebody else's ride but nope!

Anybody know if Dinan's warranty applies if you DON'T have the dealer do the work? Am curious what an independant shop would say?
I would say no warranty as there's no acceptable proof of proper installation. There must be a major/obvious part defect to overcome any non-Dinan installation objection at the time of any warranty claim... and no labor will be included in that claim.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would say no warranty as there's no acceptable proof of proper installation. There must be a major/obvious part defect to overcome any non-Dinan installation objection at the time of any warranty claim... and no labor will be included in that claim.
But that doesn't jive with what's on the Dinan site. In order to get the rebate from them you have to provide proof of installation in the form of an original sales reciept listing installed items and Dinan items purchased OR also if you self install the Dinan item yourself pics of the install as proof of installation. So with that in mind you should be able to order Dinan parts yourself (they provide that option on the website it seems) and then find an install shop to install them or do them yourself. And still qualify for the rebate thus I would think the warranty also.

Anybody with experience with NON dealer installed Dinan parts?

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File...rm%2012_08.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Billing book hours like that is pretty ridiculous.
But then again so is $800(or whatever it is) for springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

i think you should forget the warranty issue. They have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the warranty issue.

I say that you should get springs installed elsewhere for a reasonable price, and if you have a suspension/EDC issue, have the oem springs reinstalled and take the car to the dealer. It will still be cheaper than the Dealer install, and chances are you wont have an issue with your springs. JM2C
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Well I did talk to a Dinan rep and local Dinan authorized shop (non dealer) and the local guy said he'd cut me 5% off the parts (if I order thru him) and the installation in addition to the 15% that Dinan is giving currently for the job which is what 20% off parts ($720) and then 5% off labor/install ($800). If he can honor the usual BMW CCA local discount of 10% on both parts and install then he has a deal and I'll schedule this for the end of the month!

Additionally I did find out also that the 8.5 hours for install also included which isn't necessarily apparent after speaking with both him and Dinan is about 2.5 hrs to allign the car afterwards and test and re-align it as the setup with the new springs and bump stops is much different than the factory allignment so if anybody knows what the cost of a 4 wheel alignment is for an e92 M3 in terms of labor and parts...then we can better decipher where all the labor costs come in.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

Dinan and ASC seem like such a rip off in terms price. GL.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

uh, i wouldn't get the Dinan to begin with, go with Eibach or H&R
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
i think you should forget the warranty issue. They have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the warranty issue.

I say that you should get springs installed elsewhere for a reasonable price, and if you have a suspension/EDC issue, have the oem springs reinstalled and take the car to the dealer. It will still be cheaper than the Dealer install, and chances are you wont have an issue with your springs. JM2C
But if I have a spring issue with non-Dinan or OEM EDC springs then I'll be paying for somebody to uninstall them and re-install the OEM ones anyway and won't recapture that cost right? So even if the dealer fixes it won't I still be out $200-350 twice (which is the average spring install price I am getting on this car locally) and we haven't even included proabaly $100+ to allign the car afterwards with the new suspension?

At that reasoning what exactly am I saving other than maybe a $300 on springs? Remember Dinan is running a sale/rebate on them too right now!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dinan is such a load of Sh*t. I dont know how they con people into their garbage. Its the exact same stuff or worse. If you are going to spend $800 on springs and then spend $800 on an install, go buy a set of coil overs and get a REAL suspension upgrade for your money.

I know what you are all going to say "I have EDC and what about my warranty"....well, EDC is nothing compared to a set of Motons or KWs and if you want to keep your warranty then put your EDC set up back on and your warranty is back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

$800 for the actual springs is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Dinan is such a load of Sh*t. I dont know how they con people into their garbage. Its the exact same stuff or worse. If you are going to spend $800 on springs and then spend $800 on an install, go buy a set of coil overs and get a REAL suspension upgrade for your money.

I know what you are all going to say "I have EDC and what about my warranty"....well, EDC is nothing compared to a set of Motons or KWs and if you want to keep your warranty then put your EDC set up back on and your warranty is back on.
Did somebody at Dinan beat you as a child? We are tired of hearing all of your whining and bashing of Dinan. I got your point 2 months ago, when you bashed my set-up. We get it already, Dinan sucks in your book.

Every time we read your whining, it might as well be a...

Last time I checked, KW's were $2400, before installation... Dinan springs are $800!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #15
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 996 View Post
Did somebody at Dinan beat you as a child? We are tired of hearing all of your whining and bashing of Dinan. I got your point 2 months ago, when you bashed my set-up. We get it already, Dinan sucks in your book.

Every time we read your whining, it might as well be a...

Last time I checked, KW's were $2400, before installation... Dinan springs are $800!
Sorry pal! I didn't intend to "bash" your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i think dinans are the way to go for peace of mind. Sure if you dont care about that stuff then go with the kw's but if you have an accident i think it'll be pretty hard to replace everything back to stock before the car gets towed away. Some people like to not worry about things like this but still want to mod their cars so dinan is the way to go. Either way there are fans of both so we should all just respect each other and move along.
Become a BMW CCA member; please use member #405205 as a reference . Click here to join online
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3dm3 View Post
i think dinans are the way to go for peace of mind. Sure if you dont care about that stuff then go with the kw's but if you have an accident i think it'll be pretty hard to replace everything back to stock before the car gets towed away. Some people like to not worry about things like this but still want to mod their cars so dinan is the way to go. Either way there are fans of both so we should all just respect each other and move along.
+1
I agree...there are multiple options for each owner and to those who drive daily or on non-optimal roads and/or don't track them or want the lowest of the low riding M3's then Dinan and even Eibach provide options rather than slamming your car with KW Coilovers or H&R's.

Funny thing is...I've seem MANY an M3 owner or expert here who have slammed folks for putting cheaper wheels and other options/mods on their cars yet often citing quality and cost of the vehicle itself (the why put a $500 wheel on a $70k sports car "pay to play" argument)...YET it seems when it comes to springs its the exact opposite! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
+1
I agree...there are multiple options for each owner and to those who drive daily or on non-optimal roads and/or don't track them or want the lowest of the low riding M3's then Dinan and even Eibach provide options rather than slamming your car with KW Coilovers or H&R's.

Funny thing is...I've seem MANY an M3 owner or expert here who have slammed folks for putting cheaper wheels and other options/mods on their cars yet often citing quality and cost of the vehicle itself (the why put a $500 wheel on a $70k sports car "pay to play" argument)...YET it seems when it comes to springs its the exact opposite! LOL
The difference is that high quality forged wheels cost a lot of money to make while high quality springs do not. How do you explain that Eibach springs cost about $300, while Dinan cost $800? It's absurd.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #19
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
The difference is that high quality forged wheels cost a lot of money to make while high quality springs do not. How do you explain that Eibach springs cost about $300, while Dinan cost $800? It's absurd.
I can see that reasoning too. $300 vs $800 is a stretch eventhough it does include new bump stops and guides I am told. Anyway Dinan is giving 15% off and I got another deal off from the shop so parts will end up running me a $600-$700 with shipping. Install discounted too and includes an alignment and rental. So I'll end up about $500 more than if I did H&R or Eibach's but will have gotten a deal and piece of mind and a less aggressive drop.

Should see in about a week! Will post thoughts and pics as required by all! LOL

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0