BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

reflecting back on Wa winter storm 1er performance

I dont know about you guys but my 1er during the winter storm here in Washington state few weeks back was a horrible experience. I dont know if it was the ELSD or the runflat tires or the weight ration, maybe all of the above; but this car preformed very poorply in my book. your experiences

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

snow tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
I dont know about you guys but my 1er during the winter storm here in Washington state few weeks back was a horrible experience. I dont know if it was the ELSD or the runflat tires or the weight ration, maybe all of the above; but this car preformed very poorply in my book. your experiences
I didn't even take my 135i out. Did you use chains or do you have snow tires? My experience with the RFTs is that they are slick in the cold even without any moisture.

My AWD Toyota truck had a hard time. I suspect having snow tires would have helped.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I didn't take mine out either. Tires make a huge difference. If I had to drive my 135i in all conditions (wifes car is AWD), I'd absolutely have a set of 17" winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

It was probably the Runflats. It was tough going

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I am running winter runflats, Blizzak LM-22, and the car is amazing in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

It has nothing to do with the run flats. It has everything to do with a RWD car on summer tires is going to perform poorly in the snow.

My 328i RWD sedan on Z-Rated RFT was worthless; when I switched to an 08 328xi with all season RFT's I went everywhere I needed to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It was a horrible weather to drive, during and after the snow. With all the tiny pebbles on the street, I got a chip to the upper part of the hood (no stone guard protections) and one on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

haha, oh man. I have great memories... my car spent almost 2 weeks in a ditch. My GF and I ended up having to move apartments right in the worst part of the storm, our landlord wouldn't give us an extension. I had been so busy doing other things that I never had a chance to buy and mount winter tires, so I still had my Toyo T1Rs on there.

We attempted one last run to get things when the snow started dumping. On the final turn down our street my car lost all traction at about 5mph on a patch of ice, went sideways towards a telephone pole. My girlfriend, the crazy and amazing woman that she is, jumped out and pushed the car on the ice away from the pole but it went sideways the other way into a ditch of powder. Couldn't get it towed until all the tow trucks were taken off 911 duty. Crappy week. But no damage to the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0