BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

02-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

MD Use/Registration Tax

Gents,

I literally just found out that I am going to be moving from Germany to Bethesda, MD in three weeks or less. The first thing that I thought of was my car...I am able to ship it back to a number of ports in the States, but MD's DMV website is unclear about when a vehicle will be subject to sales tax at the time of registration. In CA, if you have owned your vehicle for more than 6 months overseas, you are exempt. I can't find anything like that for MD. I am hoping that somebody can help out. Any military out there that have been in this situation before? I am contemplating sending the car back to CA instead in order to avoid this, especially because I may not be in MD for long.

Thanks!

-BW
      02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ill wait for mdrob to chime in. he probably knows something since he's in the military
Become a BMW CCA member; please use member #405205 as a reference . Click here to join online
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I remember years ago I was in the same situation being assigned at Ramstein and PCS to Andrews. Although I resided in the base and eventually Clinton, I had send for a NJ out of state registration for my VW GTI.
My home state was NJ and had that special tax exemption ruling since the car is not garage there.
Im sure you can do the same with your home of records (CA) and do the same.
Being Active Duty provides you with alot of special programs. I just wish now I still have the VA Property Tax exemption on my cars but I dont since Im already out.
Good Luck and lets also wait for other responses.
Bethesda is a cool town, alot of high end cars there btw you are lucky!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Gents,

I literally just found out that I am going to be moving from Germany to Bethesda, MD in three weeks or less. The first thing that I thought of was my car...I am able to ship it back to a number of ports in the States, but MD's DMV website is unclear about when a vehicle will be subject to sales tax at the time of registration. In CA, if you have owned your vehicle for more than 6 months overseas, you are exempt. I can't find anything like that for MD. I am hoping that somebody can help out. Any military out there that have been in this situation before? I am contemplating sending the car back to CA instead in order to avoid this, especially because I may not be in MD for long.

Thanks!

-BW

If you've never registered the car in the states and don't have any registration on the vehicle that's current-you will have to register in maryland-pay tax(6%) and complete a certificate of title. They'll give you plates and 30 day registration before you get the car inspected.

If you're in the military-these are the perks that are listed:
The Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is keen on the fact that those on active military duty have it a bit rough when it comes to certain things. Especially those far from home and preoccupied with things like training and/or combat. Sometimes it is literally impossible to take care of certain MVA-related matters like renewing a driver license. Thus service members do get a few perks.

Driver License Renewal
If your license expires, just keep a copy of your active duty records or military ID on your person with the defunct license. Dependents stationed with the person serving on active duty are also covered under this provision.

However, if dependents remain behind, then they are required to renew their driver licenses in regular fashion. Upon your return to the state or your release from the military, you then have 30 days to restore the license.

Vehicle Inspection Emissions Program (VEIP) Extension
Motorists residing in Maryland must have an emissions assessment conducted on their vehicle every two years. But, those serving on active military duty can forgo making a trip to an inspection station by either completing a request online or by calling VEIP at (800) 638-8347.

Vehicle Registration
If you are a resident of another state but are stationed in Maryland, you have the option of maintaining your home state vehicle registration. That is, if you have your car in state and only if the out-of-state registration is current.

Maryland residents stationed elsewhere will not find anything specific on the books about a registration exemption. Basically, if you are on a base in the United States and you are allowed to keep your Maryland registration, you simply need to renew like everyone else. Just make sure the MVA has your out-of-state address so you'll be sure to receive your renewal notice.

It would be better to call: (301) 729-4550
(800) 248-4160 and explain your situation and maybe they have a program for you that is not covered on the DMV website.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Okay...from what I know/understand it goes like this. IF you are active duty and have had the car registered overseas and/or previously registered in the states PRIOR to shipping it back CONUS=US and trying to register it in MD then you can ask for exemption of the state sales tax. However you have to have had the car registered and driven overseas I believe for more then 6 months! That is to keep everybody from doing a Euro delivery in Munich and driving their cars for <30 days and then bringing them home and Uncle MD not getting any $$$ from their purchases.

Now I would preface the above statement in saying that I have NOT done this myself with my car. I was not able to pick it up and drive it overseas at all let alone long enough to satisfy that 6 month term. BMW-NA Military sales gave a handout on this somewhat somewhere when I bought my car and I'll see if I can find it BUT they too preface it by saying basically the state the car is registered in has the right to do what the hell they want to do! So I paid my sales tax and picked my tags up from my local dealer...it was a WHOLE lot easier that way as instead of the dealer you are listed as the importer and such on the customs forms and for title purposes and such it was a royal pain in the azz getting a straight anwser from MD DMV's websites. SO I cut a check to the dealer's tag dept and showed them all the paperwork of manufacture and ownership and they cut me a brand new set of hard tags and plates and I picked my car up at the PDC in SC.

Sorry to digress but in your situation the more info is probably the better for comparision sake. I'd call DMV and tell them what I was trying to do specifically explaining that you are mil/govt employee (you are I suspect) and are bringing your car back stateside and need to register it. You probably will need to show something proving that it WAS registered and you paid something in Germany when you got it; thus your request for exeption here. Get copies of everything!

Also Some ports by the way won't release the car to drive off the dock without tags so be careful of that too! I'd also call your local dealer too as they may have some insight too (I can ask around myself if I get a chance as my buddy is a senior CA and another the CPO sales manager at a dealer down the street from base).

Final option; ship and register it to a state you KNOW will not charge you sales tax. Also ask ShadyM3 as he did the same and picked his car up in GA and drove it to Tx and had a time with getting it...but am not sure if he had to pay taxes or not. Like I said each state is very different.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Here's a link to info on VA's taxes for vehicles with respect to overseas use/registration.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...-military.html

Still querrying MD
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Okay...from what I know/understand it goes like this. IF you are active duty and have had the car registered overseas and/or previously registered in the states PRIOR to shipping it back CONUS=US and trying to register it in MD then you can ask for exemption of the state sales tax. However you have to have had the car registered and driven overseas I believe for more then 6 months! That is to keep everybody from doing a Euro delivery in Munich and driving their cars for <30 days and then bringing them home and Uncle MD not getting any $$$ from their purchases.

Now I would preface the above statement in saying that I have NOT done this myself with my car. I was not able to pick it up and drive it overseas at all let alone long enough to satisfy that 6 month term. BMW-NA Military sales gave a handout on this somewhat somewhere when I bought my car and I'll see if I can find it BUT they too preface it by saying basically the state the car is registered in has the right to do what the hell they want to do! So I paid my sales tax and picked my tags up from my local dealer...it was a WHOLE lot easier that way as instead of the dealer you are listed as the importer and such on the customs forms and for title purposes and such it was a royal pain in the azz getting a straight anwser from MD DMV's websites. SO I cut a check to the dealer's tag dept and showed them all the paperwork of manufacture and ownership and they cut me a brand new set of hard tags and plates and I picked my car up at the PDC in SC.

Sorry to digress but in your situation the more info is probably the better for comparision sake. I'd call DMV and tell them what I was trying to do specifically explaining that you are mil/govt employee (you are I suspect) and are bringing your car back stateside and need to register it. You probably will need to show something proving that it WAS registered and you paid something in Germany when you got it; thus your request for exeption here. Get copies of everything!

Also Some ports by the way won't release the car to drive off the dock without tags so be careful of that too! I'd also call your local dealer too as they may have some insight too (I can ask around myself if I get a chance as my buddy is a senior CA and another the CPO sales manager at a dealer down the street from base).

Final option; ship and register it to a state you KNOW will not charge you sales tax. Also ask ShadyM3 as he did the same and picked his car up in GA and drove it to Tx and had a time with getting it...but am not sure if he had to pay taxes or not. Like I said each state is very different.
Thanks for that info. I've already been all through the DMV website, but there really isn't that much concrete stuff. I am most likely going to pursue shipping the vehicle to Baltimore and then registering it in CA (home of record). I need to check my title, but I should be just over 6 months by the time it gets there. If that won't work or the CA DMV won't let me do it, I'm going to ship direct to CA and figure out a way to get it to the east coast.

Thanks for all the help guys!
      02-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Hey Big Windy...you can always drive it from Cali to Md/VA! Would be great and something definately to write about! Or ship it overland by one of the covered coaches companies that do exotics and hi cost vehicles.

Let me know what you find out and I'll poke around too but something tells me that without a call to the DMV to explain your sitiuation and talk to a live person then you're gonna be up in the air about it and the devil's in the details always.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well guys, I got some info from the DMV...there is no possible way to avoid paying use tax/sales tax in MD. If the car comes into Baltimore and is registered there, they will impose the tax.

So...I'm shipping the M3 to California. I have spoken with the State Board of Equalization and military members can apply for an exemption from use tax by filling out some forms, getting approval, and taking them to the DMV when you register the car.

The downside is that I'll be without my car for quite a long time, but I can't stomach paying all that money to MD when they don't deserve any of it! I'll probably coordinate a covered car carrier to ship it to the east coast once it finally arrives and gets registered in CA.

Stand by for pics of whatever beater I'm going to pick up in MD for less than $1,000!

Also, thanks to Shady and mdrobc for their help!
      02-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
well thats good to hear, Im sure mdrob can lend you his M3 when you get inchy for a drive, or maybe his 997 also.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
well thats good to hear, Im sure mdrob can lend you his M3 when you get inchy for a drive, or maybe his 997 also.
Yeah hell I am in the M3 most of the time anyway! And if its warm the X5 will sit idle too! Pic one! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thats what I though! lolz

we need to hookup maybe snag the others for short spin