E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Poorboy's spray and rinse

02-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Poorboy's spray and rinse

Hello to everyone.

I wonder if this product works and if will take away the wheel sealant.

What would be the difference with the APC degreaser?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Yes, it works well at taking off brake dust. Yes, it will remove wheel sealant. If left on too long it'll remove paint, too. The difference between something like Spray & Rinse or Meguiars Wheel Brightener & APC's is that Spray & Rinse (& WB and others), contain hydrofluoric acid as the active ingredient. APCs contain a variety of cleaners (citrus based, etc), but most aren't acidic.

Spray & Rinse should be used in cases of heavy or embedded brake dust. I would not use it as a maintenance product. It also should not be used on chrome, aluminum, or any other exposed metal wheel. Mags and painted alloys only.

For weekly/bi-weekly brake dust removal, I advise a neutral ph wheel cleaner, apc, or better yet, soap and water.

An important aside - hf acid is extremely hazardous to your health. It will not leave substantial skin burns (which sometimes is worse since you don't realize it's hurting you), but it will rapidly penetrate tissue and can etch bone, and make them brittle. It can also enter the blood and cause lung and heart damage. As with any tool acidic wheel cleaners have their place but they should be used with gloves and a mask, and only when needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks you so much for the answer. Poorboys APC cleaner will remove the sealant?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

If you use it undiluted it probably will; although it's worth testing. I normally use it cut 4:1 with water. Are you trying to remove brake dust without touching the wheels (like just with water?), if so are you using a hose or a pressure washer?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, I have been using a "pressure hose". The truth is that takes away a lot, but not all. (with the wheels sealed). With poorboys apc cleaner it just blows away all the dirt. No scrubbing necessary!
Appreciate 0