E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > H&R vs KW V3 coilovers

02-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

H&R vs KW V3 coilovers

Ok so for the xi theres two coilover options, KW V3's or H&R. I've read a bunch about each one and how they both improve the handling a lot, duh. But haven't seen anything comparing the two. Like what are the biggest differences besides price. So hopefully everyone whose has either can chime in. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

HR coilovers are ONLY height adjustable, so basically you can raise/lower front/rears as much as you like, but thats about it. Your stuck with whatever compression/rebounding that comes with them. KW V3s however, are height, compression/rebound adjustable. They give you ALOT more flexibility however they cost near 1800-2k. Personally, since I already have HR sport springs, I am waiting on Bilstein adjustable B8 struts and pairing them with my HRs. Height adjustment is useless for me since my car sits low enough with HR sports, however I want to be able to make the ride more firm/soft which the struts can do. Also coils take alot longer to install since you have to gut the trunk for the rears, whereas a spring/strut combo is simply plug/play and you shouldnt need to corner balance. Some say its good to corner balance car after changing to coils, others say unless you track theres no point so I'm not 100% on that
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
HR coilovers are ONLY height adjustable, so basically you can raise/lower front/rears as much as you like, but thats about it. Your stuck with whatever compression/rebounding that comes with them. KW V3s however, are height, compression/rebound adjustable. They give you ALOT more flexibility however they cost near 1800-2k. Personally, since I already have HR sport springs, I am waiting on Bilstein adjustable B8 struts and pairing them with my HRs. Height adjustment is useless for me since my car sits low enough with HR sports, however I want to be able to make the ride more firm/soft which the struts can do. Also coils take alot longer to install since you have to gut the trunk for the rears, whereas a spring/strut combo is simply plug/play and you shouldnt need to corner balance. Some say its good to corner balance car after changing to coils, others say unless you track theres no point so I'm not 100% on that
Thanks for the info. If you have to gut the trunk to do coilovers wouldn't you have to do the same for spring and strut combo? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Also can anyone comment on the ride of the H&R's. How is the compression/rebounding on them? Is it really stiff? Harsh ride? Thanks. I had PSS9's in my M3 so i was pretty use to that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
THR4OSU
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

H&R coilovers

I have the H&R coilovers on a 2006 bmw 330xi with 19 inch BBS CH wheels and 245/35 19 inch goodyear eagle f1 assymetric tires. It rides considearably better than the factory setup with the run flat tires. The ride is not too stiff for day to day driving and I drive around 20,000 miles a year on crappy southern california rodes.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
reggiecmah
the.tsukinousagi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Garage List
2007 E92 328xi  [0.00]
I am using H&R Coilovers on my 328xi,

I LOVE IT compared to the Stock setup and the H&R sport springs with stock shock set up.

A lot stiffer than stock and more stable and comfortable than H&R sport springs, I love the somewhat stiffer ride though! I am young still.

but heres a photo of them on my car.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
gumpy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i DCT

Just installed H&R coilovers

I just had the H&R coilovers installed today. They are incredible. Better ride than stock even with runflats. No more pounding over bumps. Took it for a ride on favorite back road where the stock setup would crash against the bumpstops. The H&R's don't bottom out. Firm and well damped with virtually no body roll. Also, the stabilty control is less intrusive now. Lowered the car and it looks great, even with stock wheels and tires. It makes the car feel so much smaller. I have a 335xi. Best money I spent. See pictures for how car looks now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0