BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Launch Techniques

This is an old article, but this guys manual launch technique sounds like murder on the clutch.

What is everyone's preference on the best way to launch a manual 135i.

http://www.modernracer.com/tips/drag...echniques.html
      02-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

I go with a pretty solid clutch murder, actually.
I let it slip pretty badly.
I need to learn to launch this car better. I'm not used to that much torque that quickly =X
I had a really solid launch at work the other day. Let the clutch go almost all the way, spun the tires, let the clutch out all the way and (simultaneously) feathered the throttle until second. Pedaled most of second and then stomped on it at around 45 mph.

This is a good thread, I'm excited to hear how people better than me do it =D

*edit*

So I was practicing my launches the other day and I got a couple really nice ones.
Brought the tach up to about 4k (maybe 4500), pulled the clutch out most of the way and gradually added throttle. The clutch definitely slipped a little bit, but not much. Once the tires got a hold of the power they spun a bit bringing the tach up to 6k. I feathered (the tach stayed around 6k as the tires gained traction and I added throttle) until just about redline at which point I let the throttle go almost completely (didn't wanna come down on second with too much power and break em totally loose), shifted into second and basically did the same thing as first, but much quicker with much less time spent feathering. Going into third I basically stomped the clutch, backed the throttle out to like 50%, put the stick into third and dumped it.
This resulted in a really good amount of thrust through the entire launch.
I left about 4 feet of stripe in first gear and none noticeable in second or third.
Second and third had about the same audible chirp.

If I could get my GTech working I could list 60' times and Long Gs.
Hopefully soon, I'm just not thrilled with the prospect of splicing the stock electronics.

Last edited by SpeedballTrix; 02-22-2009 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: to add new info
Appreciate 0