BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

CO or any soutwest folk that drive in the snow....

How is the 135i in the snow? I live and work in Denver proper. I have read all the threads on 1addicts talking about its performance in general, but I am curious about this specific side of the country. I have an awd Volvo XC90 that I was going to keep as a winter driver, but dont really want the added insurance, garage space and expense of not trading it in.

I would be going with a full winter wheel/tire setup...something as aggressive as possible without being studded.

My commute is mostly surface streets around town and we rarely get a big enough snow to really care about, but I want to know that the rwd car would be ok on some slight inclines etc.

any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

I'm from NY (saw this in new posts) but weve had a bit of a harsh winter here with much more snow than usual. I stepped up in tire size slighlty (10mm on each tire) and mounted Pirelli 240 Sottozero RFTs (The tread is in my profile picture). There a bit expensive but the are fantastic tires. The day they were mounted we had a 4 inch snowfall here and I took it out. Not as good as 4WD. But then again thats a stupid comparo for a RWD sports coupe. Don't get me wrong...the car tracked fantastically well in the snow. I had more grip than a many other cars on the road. The 240s also have a fanastic amount of dry weather grip in the winter. Thats what I did. I just like sharing these unknown tires.
      02-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaday51 View Post
I'm from NY (saw this in new posts) but weve had a bit of a harsh winter here with much more snow than usual. I stepped up in tire size slighlty (10mm on each tire) and mounted Pirelli 240 Sottozero RFTs (The tread is in my profile picture). There a bit expensive but the are fantastic tires. The day they were mounted we had a 4 inch snowfall here and I took it out. Not as good as 4WD. But then again thats a stupid comparo for a RWD sports coupe. Don't get me wrong...the car tracked fantastically well in the snow. I had more grip than a many other cars on the road. The 240s also have a fanastic amount of dry weather grip in the winter. Thats what I did. I just like sharing these unknown tires.
nice, so far I am looking at the Blizzak WS60s...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
nice, so far I am looking at the Blizzak WS60s...
I'm not a fan of Bridgestone at all. I've had to replace a summer on my 1er. And I had two blowouts on my old Mountaineer. Both times the tires were less than 6 months old. But I have heard good things about the Blizzacks. I would also assume that you are looking at non-RFTs, no?
      02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Bridgestone at all. I've had to replace a summer on my 1er. And I had two blowouts on my old Mountaineer. Both times the tires were less than 6 months old. But I have heard good things about the Blizzacks. I would also assume that you are looking at non-RFTs, no?
correct...non RFTs. My first thought was throw snows on the stock 18s and gets some nice summer wheels, but I am not sure if I am sacrificing winter performance to do that (as in should the snows be on 17s)...I would want best snow performance possible.

I am not set on the Blizzaks...I just want something that is uber winter oriented...no 'winter performance' varieties.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
correct...non RFTs. My first thought was throw snows on the stock 18s and gets some nice summer wheels, but I am not sure if I am sacrificing winter performance to do that (as in should the snows be on 17s)...I would want best snow performance possible.

I am not set on the Blizzaks...I just want something that is uber winter oriented...no 'winter performance' varieties.
Funny you should mention that. I dismounted the Bridgestones and mounted my 18" Pirellis on the OEM wheels. And i am currently finding prices on nice summer wheels and tires. I love these Pirellis and theres really no reason to downsize to 17". My tires don't rub at all and there is a lot of clearance.
      02-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I dismounted the Bridgestones and mounted my 18" Pirellis on the OEM wheels. And i am currently finding prices on nice summer wheels and tires. I love these Pirellis and theres really no reason to downsize to 17". My tires don't rub at all and there is a lot of clearance.
What sizes are your pirellis all the way around?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What sizes are your pirellis all the way around?
225/40 R18 up front and 225/35 in the back. Make sure you use the OEM wheel because otherwise they may rub. Order them through Mavis, they usally have em in stock.
      02-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

any CO/Southwest folk have some input?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

anybody?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

So I have quite a horror story for you.

In that little storm we had yesterday, I thought that there was only going to be .5 to 1 inch of snow on the ground, as that was what the weather people said on the news. With that said, I decided that I can drive the 135 for the day. Little did I know, the snow got to 2 or 3 inches up in north Denver. Also, I should mention that I am on the RE050s. It was quite an experience driving in that. The back wheels spun at every stoplight, regardless of how little throttle I applied. Additionally, when going up a small hill, the back end of the car would slide out a little. The bad thing is that it did this constantly. Turning was okay, as long as you took it slow. I ended up driving home and taking the 4Runner.

So the lessons here are:
1) If you don't have snow tires on your 135 when it is snowing, keep it in the garage.
2) Don't listen to Colorado weathermen/women.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomiK View Post
So I have quite a horror story for you.

In that little storm we had yesterday, I thought that there was only going to be .5 to 1 inch of snow on the ground, as that was what the weather people said on the news. With that said, I decided that I can drive the 135 for the day. Little did I know, the snow got to 2 or 3 inches up in north Denver. Also, I should mention that I am on the RE050s. It was quite an experience driving in that. The back wheels spun at every stoplight, regardless of how little throttle I applied. Additionally, when going up a small hill, the back end of the car would slide out a little. The bad thing is that it did this constantly. Turning was okay, as long as you took it slow. I ended up driving home and taking the 4Runner.

So the lessons here are:
1) If you don't have snow tires on your 135 when it is snowing, keep it in the garage.
2) Don't listen to Colorado weathermen/women.
Yea, I meant to post and ask how you 135 owners fared in that storm. Reminded me how much I love my AWD suv with A/T knobby tires for those few days. Which station said 1-2", I had heard 8-15" prior to it coming in.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

I was watching Fox 31 around 6:30-7 in the morning and she said that roughly an inch or so will accumulate on the roads due to the warm weather we had over the weekend.
Appreciate 0