ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

New Mod (keyhole delete)

I finally tracked down a euro passenger door handle (exterior door handle for the drivers side door). I have not had time to get it painted and installed, should be fun until I get locked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I thought about this as well, but I've had to resort to using the physical key once or twice when the fob wasn't working. Don't wanna get locked out of my car.
      03-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I'm a little worried about that as well, but...it has not happend yet
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Thumbs up Door Plugs

I went with the Door Plug for $14.00 http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
They don't come in BMW colors but are easy to paint and clearcoat with OE touch-up paint.
I ordered mine in Guards Red which didn't match Imola Red but was close. The key tab needed some minor modification to fit the BMW lock.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
I'm a little worried about that as well, but...it has not happend yet
Well, for the roadster, you can always open the trunk and start disassembling the soft-top compartment, and hire a monkey to climb into the cabin and open the door for you. (small kids or a long hook might work also)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

the door plug thing looks like a good compromise. should be used on the trunk too
      03-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Seriously though, I thought about getting the Euro door handle for my driver side door a long time ago for asthetic reasons but decided against this mod in the end.

A determined thief is going to get inside your car regardless. In a screwed up logic you almost have to thank a theif for breaking into your car by breaking the door lock instead of slashing your soft-top or breaking your side window, either of which would be a lot more costly and more PITA to fix, not to mention the potential down time. Broken glasses would take a long time to clean and you risk having your leather seats scratched up. A friend of mine had a 325Ci and a theif broke his door lock; he was of course pissed off but at least he was able to drive the car around just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
A determined thief is going to get inside your car regardless. In a screwed up logic you almost have to thank a theif for breaking into your car by breaking the door lock instead of slashing your soft-top or breaking your side window, either of which would be a lot more costly and more PITA to fix, not to mention the potential down time. Broken glasses would take a long time to clean and you risk having your leather seats scratched up. A friend of mine had a 325Ci and a theif broke his door lock; he was of course pissed off but at least he was able to drive the car around just fine.
All valid points but I think the reason for getting the keyhole delete is that it deters the thief that knows getting into a BMW is often as easy as hammering a screwdriver into the lock and turning it though it were the actual key. This method actually disables the alarm, too! An unknowing thief is going to smash your window or slash your roof regardless of whether you have the delete modification and they're going to be moving fast because they're assuming that alarm is going to be sounding. Its the knowing thief that'll be turned away by a keyhole delete so it still may be worth it.

In fact, I had my 330Ci broken by someone who just yanked the lock cylinder. Alarm was disarmed and the guy (or gal?) took my MP3 player and ran. I didn't even know my car had been broken in to until I looked for my player. Frustrating thing is that I had the keyhole delete part sitting on my desk ready to go but hadn't gotten around to installing it.

To be honest, I probably won't do this on the Z because in the event of the battery going completely dead, there is really no way in short of getting the battery back in business. On the 330Ci, at least I knew I could open the trunk even if there was no power to the car, climb through the fold-down seats and open the driver's side door. That and I'm pretty sure the Z's entire handle is more expensive than the $30 part you used for the 3er's.
Appreciate 0