BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
pheller
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

DIY: Add a remote mute button to your Valentine One

I've had the remote mute switch for sometime now, and figured I'd take the afternoon to put it in.

First of all, do this mod at your own risk. I'm obviously not responsible if your car becomes an expensive Bavarian fireworks exhibit. That said, it works for me just fine!

Also, there are many ways to skin a cat, so if you see a better way, by all means, share your experience.

This also assumes that you've hardwired your valentine one, and the Valentine one power junction box is located in the vicinity of the fuse panel.

Materials & Tools:

Valentine One remote mute microswitch, as routinely found on eBay (search terms 'valentine one mute', look for a "flat" one)
6' RJ11 6P4C (6 position 4 conductor) Telephone style cord
RJ11 6P4C female-female extension connector OR RJ11 6P4C 2-way splitter w/all female sockets
Cable Ties
Black electrical tape
Choroplast fabric tape
Scissors
Wire cutters
Something stiff to fish a cable with (I used an extendable magnetized screw retriever)
Torx-20 Driver
Nylon trim panel removal tool (or flat head screwdriver wrapped with cloth or choroplast fabric tape)

Step 1)

Remove kick panel above driver's pedals ([3] Torx 20, [1] snap lock near center console area) and carefully wiggle it free, then lower it

Step 2)

Remove kick panel above front passenger footwell ([3] Torx 20, [1] snap lock near center console area) and carefully wiggle it free, then lower it by pulling out an inch or two towards the passenger seat, then down.

Step 3)

Attach an end of the RJ11 extension cable to the wire fishing tool of choice. I used electrical tape. Then, feed it above the driveline tunnel, and behind the center console. (approximately above where you removed the snap locks)

Step 4)

Locate the RJ11 cable on the passenger footwell side, pull it free, and unfasten it from the wire fishing tool of choice.

Step 5)

Route the cable in the passenger footwell area so that it's free of the vent outlets, then up towards the fuse panel, which is behind the glove box. Attach the RJ11 to the accessory port on the Valentine One power junction box.

Step 6)

Use a couple cable ties and secure the routing of the RJ11 extension cable in the passenger footwell area.

Step 7)

Re-assemble the passenger footwell kickpanel. Pay special attention to the two plastic mounting tabs on the top of the kickpanel. They slide into mating slots on the dash structure. Replace the [3] Torx-20 screws and [1] snap lock.

Step 8)

Extend the steering wheel and lower it.

Step 9)

Using a nylon trim panel removal tool or similar, carefully spread apart the upper and lower steering column trim pieces, just in front of the turn signal stalk. Slowly wiggle until the two pieces snap apart. Proceed to do the same just behind the turn signal stalk, and then the same procedure for the washer stalk on the other side of the wheel.

Step 10)

remove the lower steering column trim panel piece by pulling the tabs away from the aluminum retaining post on the left side, and firmly pulling the trim panel down until it unhooks. Repeat on the right side. Remove the trim panel and set aside.

Step 11)

place the remote mute cable along side the steering column and secure to the steering column adjustment lever with a cable tie. I did not fully cinch the cable tie down as I would prefer it be slightly loose to allow for adjustment.

**Note, for the following two steps, it is probably helpful to temporarily place the the trim pieces back in place, but don't snap them back in. Then align the cable as you wish to have it installed, so that you can see how much material will need to be removed to accommodate the cable.

Step 12)

Using a dremel tool with sanding bit and/or box cutter, carefully cut/sand away a small semi circle in the lower trim panel in the area immediately before the turn signal stalk. I sanded away approximately 1/4", then used the box cutter to cut away any loose bits left from sanding.

Step 13)

Using the dremel tool with sanding bit, and/or box cutter, carefully cut/sand away pretty much all of the flat retaining clip from the upper trim panel, which would be directly behind the area which you removed from the lower trim panel.

Step 14)

Temporarily attach the mute switch to the turn signal stalk with a piece of electrical tape.

Step 15)

Replace the lower trim panel, ensure that the mute switch cable is not in the way of any fasteners, then snap into place. Do the same with the upper trim panel while making sure mute switch and cable are routed as you wish.

Step 16)

Now that the trim panels are back in place, ensure that the turn signal stalk has full mobility. If it does not, you probably did not remove enough material. Return to step 9.

Step 17)

Attach the Mute switch RJ11 jack to the female-female RJ11 connector or 2-way splitter. Make sure the RJ11 extension cable running to the Valentine One power junction box is also attached.

Power the car to accessory mode, ensure the radar detector turns on as usual, and that holding the mute switch in changes radar detector modes as per the Valentine One instruction manual.

Step 18)

Coil up the excess cable in the driver's side footwell and secure with a cable tie. Optionally wrap any hard plastic junctions with fabric tape such as choroplast to avoid any rattles. Secure the cables in the footwell area and route to avoid interference with the vent outlets and the MOST bus access jack near the left side of the kick panel.

Step 19)

Replace the driver's side footwell kick panel, seat it properly so the vent outlets line up, replace [3] Torx-20 screws and one snap lock.

Step 20)

Align remote mute switch on turn signal stalk to your preference and adhere with the included double stick tape. **Note Choose a mounting point that will apply less leverage to the turn signal stalk, otherwise you might inadvertently flash your high beams while using the remote mute switch.

Optionally apply a small strip of black electrical tape to secure the remote mute switch wire to the turn signal stalk.

Step 21)

Enjoy!
      03-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Great write-up, Phil!

I'm going to have to try this on my car eventually.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

i love this button! couldn't live without one
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
awesome DIY man! i am def putting this in

before i saw your post, i had been thinking about trying this myself, but i was almost ashamed to gripe about having to reach forward 18 inches to mute my already hardwired v1

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I wonder if you could use a spare button in the row where the seat heaters are?