Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels vibrate AFTER balance & align, spacers now?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wheels vibrate AFTER balance & align, spacers now?

I got some new wheels and tires a few months ago. Goodyear Eagke Asymetrics and Volk RE30 wheels. The car was riding good, btu since the wheels are a bit wider(9 front and 10 rear) I needed to get an alignment. I got it done this past week and when I picked up the car I was told the balance was done and the alignment was done and it was fine, except for the excessive vibration when you drive it. I was told they could not center the wheels with shims or hub centering rings. I was surprised since the car ran fine with out them before this. Tried to tell the service dept this and they were adamant about rings.
They were not kidding about excessive. My hands fell asleep from the vibrations during the drive home. The car was barely driveable. I took it somewhere else the next day for another road force balance. They told me 3 of the 4 wheels were sybstantially off balance and the fourth slightly.
The ride was better but the vivbration continues. It is from 45 mph up. It isvery bhad when at highway soeeds nd turning the steering wheel just slightly. Whenit is straight is gets a ittle better. When accelerating it is better butr when I take foot off the gas it gets a little worse. I talked to someone who talked to Mackin and they were as surprised as me that it would need hubcentric rings since they dont use them on their BMW. The vibration comes through the steering and also the seat.
Any ideas on this? I am thinking possibly something in the suspension got messed during the alingment but I wouldnt know what or if it is sitill wheels or maybe it does need rings..
335 coupe, Koni FSD, Eibach prokit springs, hotchkis front and rear sways, 245 front and 275 rear Goodyear eagle asymetric on volk 19inch wheels.
Have had them road force balanced twice with two differing results... where to next?

Thanks for any ideas!
      03-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Did this need hubcentric rings? Maybe they forgot to re-install the hub rings to the car after the alignment. Might be worth it to remove the two front wheels and see whats going on.
      03-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
info@VMRWheels
Rep

I'm a little confused with what you wrote. From what I gathered, your car, with the new wheels and tires, drove fine before you got the alignment. But after the alignment, the vibration issues started. I'm also assuming who ever you bough the Volks from supplied you with the correct hub rings.

If this is the case, I'm fairly confident they forgot the hubcentric rings like Charles mentioned above. Also, if all you did was purchase new wheels and tires and made no changes to the suspension, it is not necessary to get an alignment. As long as your old tires were wearing evenly, your alignment will not change when purchasing new wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I just got back from the third attempt to balancethe wheels and another alignment. The wheels had been balanced the previous two times by adding the weights to the existing weights, so there were threee balancings worth of weights in the wheels.(and two of them were off by an ounce) So they took all the old weights off and started fresh. Then checked the alignment because visually it looked like the rears had way too much toe in.(and they did)
After that it drives...better, but still way too much vibration to live with.
Ty, The original install of the wheels did not use hubcentric rings and it was good. It wasnt until the just last week after the dealer did the balance and alignment that they started to vibrate, but they never had the rings installed from the beginning.
Ii am going to try to find a set of rings to see if they help.
The general conensus seems to be the rings are needed and the original installer must have done a really good job lining the wheels up.
The vibration comes on about 60mph and is not as bad while hitting the gas or keeping the steering straight. When I take my foot off the gas the car vibrates worse, and if i turn the steering wheel just slightly as in a lane change it gets worse also.
If the rings dont work then I will be going in to have the suspension checked. Any one else having any troubles or any ideas
      03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I'm having similar issues with my DPEs but I think my issue is related to having the wheels rebalanced. Are you sure one of your wheels isnt bent or damaged?? Perhaps one of your tires??
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I thought that it couldbe that also but they were fine when I dropped the car off for the first alignment and balance.
I am trying to find some hubcentric rings that fit an e92 coupe for my Volk wheels to see if it helps. If anyone knows where to get a set pretty quickly please let me know.
Thanks
      03-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
VMRWheels
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Local wheel shops should have hub centric rings in various sizes.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      03-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Local wheel shops should have hub centric rings in various sizes.

You would think so, but this is somewhere in the twilight zone and I cant find a decent tuner or BMW shop. I am trying to see if I can find rings on the net but I am not sure of the exact size needed so that makes it tough
      03-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

These guys have the rings for your BMW and the Volk RE-30 wheels:

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.j...=how&track=GHR
      03-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

As a suggestion, do you know anyone else with an E9X that can swap wheels with you for a half hour? You could test and see if it's really the wheels or if the suspension is hooped.
      03-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Well, problem 99% solved.
The dealer alignment was way off. Have the before and after specs and ...damn.
The wheels had three balancings worth of weights on them.
And, last but not least....hub centering rings were needed.
The shop that did the original install must have done a kick ass job putting them on straight because I didnt have rings on them before now and it drove great.
And if anyone needs the size rings for a set opf volk re30 wheels to the E92 hub, it is75.1mm->72.56mm.
Thanks for your ideas and tips!
      03-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-baba07 View Post
Our long-term sale Louis Vuitton , Gucci,bags wallet etcIf you need please contact our.Website: www.aubaba.com Warmest Regards

WTF is up with this?
      03-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
SuPaSkillz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i /2007 E63 M6

WTH
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Well, problem 99% solved.
The dealer alignment was way off. Have the before and after specs and ...damn.
The wheels had three balancings worth of weights on them.
And, last but not least....hub centering rings were needed.
The shop that did the original install must have done a kick ass job putting them on straight because I didnt have rings on them before now and it drove great.
And if anyone needs the size rings for a set opf volk re30 wheels to the E92 hub, it is75.1mm->72.56mm.
Thanks for your ideas and tips!
It is standard procedure to remove wheel weights before re-balancing the wheel, otherwise all of those lead stickers would add a good 0.5 lbs to your forged wheels

Anywho, if hubrings can't be sourced locally, check our board sponsors, and if all else fails, check eBay
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tip Peter!
Unfortunately, that procedure is ignored by someplaces around here. The last place said there were stick on weights around most of the inside of the wheel.
I will be contacting you about getting a replacement VM710 for my car(ex wife dropped one out of the back of her truck right on its face, scratched ad gouged to hell). My other set of wheels is vm710, and the first set are vm715. I like your stuff!
I was able to find the rings at the link provided by Scooby(Thanks Scooby)
      03-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
Peter@VMRWheels
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Haha, "chasing weights" is a bad habit... most of the national tire chains would do it, because 99% of drivers will not notice that they have extra weights. What these tire shops don't know, is that all the scrap lead they leave on their customer's wheels can be sold for good money.

No problem, just give us a buzz at any time and we'll be glad to help you.
Appreciate 0