Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is it necessary to weigh down the trunk to do a proper alignment?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
samsamwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Is it necessary to weigh down the trunk to do a proper alignment?

A couple SA tell me that to properly align a bimmer you need to puts weights in the trunk
I dont know if any shops do this or if its really necessary
Has anyone done this both ways and noticed anything? ie wear, performance
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

unless you are always carrying passengers or have lots of junk in your car, I don't see a need to do this. As soon as you take the weight out of the trunk, your alignment will be off.

You want your car aligned in the condition that you will be driving most of the time. I'm the only one in my car 99% of the time, so for me it would be useless to weigh it down for an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
info@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Yea, I don't understand why your SA would tell you you need to weigh down your trunk. If anything, I would have them weight down the driver's seat with something about the same weight as you when doing the alignment. Like mike-y said, you'd want the car to be aligned with whatever weight you normally drive the car with.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sounds like your friends could be speaking about corner balancing and aligning the car. If they are, then "ballasts" are used to offset the weight from corner to corner. But the majority of drivers I see go into such detail are the race cars.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com
      03-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

You have to measure the ride height of the car. If it's out of spec, you weigh down the car til it's within spec. That's the procedure from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
bierry
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: pondering which tune again

At most you should put a weight equal to your own weight on the driver's seat. but don't sit in it yourself as even little movements can affect the accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
chopperh
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 335i Msport

to carry out a proper Geometry check on a BMW, a specific amount of weight needs to be put in the trunk and in the drivers seat. All the alignment specs are based on this specific amount of weight being present. If you don't add the weights then the alignment will be off. It's all in TIS

Steve
Appreciate 0