BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

2nd oil change at dealer, next day oil drops to 1/2qt less

A little back ground history. I had the first service done at 1200 miles with no issues. At about 3500 miles the oil level had dropped 1/2qt. or from the top of the line to the first arrow on the guage. Added 1/2qt and no problems. Seems my M3 drinks about 1/2qt every 2-3K miles. Brought it in for an intermediate oil/filter change at 8,000 miles as I don't plan on pushing it to 15,000 like the manufacture suggest. I had the oil/filter changed Yesterday. Today I'm driving and the oil level dropped to that first 1/2quart level. A little early would you not say?

Has anyone noticed this after an oil change? Seems it should have gone about another 2-3,000 miles. Under the hood, all is ok. No oil leaks, filler cap is on good. all looks ok. Any idea's?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

the oil level sensors in these cars arent the most accurate things in the world...monitor it to make sure it doesnt keep dropping it. if it does..then id bring it in
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I had my oil changed yesterday (1,200 service), and it shows half full too. Tech said he put the 8.8-qts manual calls for. According to the first thread on this section, the specs are 8.8 LITERS with a filter change (which was supposedly done on my car, as the invoice listed it), which is 9.3 qts, or 1/2 below.

I definitely want the level all the way to MAX, to monitor oil consumption accurately. Drove the car home 760 miles, and level didn't change, which is good news, but I don't know how it's checked. Every time we call it on the dash? Every day? With all the electronic crap on this car, it's hard to know. Miss a freaking dipstick. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
MSoldier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

I paid for an oil change today myself and I didin't think to check the level when I got the car back. I got home and thought about checking everything and it was at half too, looks like it doesnt get topped off. I'll just drive up to the dealers and ask them to top off my car as part of the maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
wgf77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi A5

Actually, the oil is not part of the program. I went for a top off earlier this month and they made me buy the oil. I was pissed and he said it is because the M3 uses special oil not used by other BMWs. I paid the 18 bucks. Indicator said add a qt and after doing so gauge was at highest level.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Oil should be topped off after an oil service, no question about that. Oil consumption is harder to get away with, but doesn't hurt to try.

And I misspoke when I said tech put 8.8 qts; it was 8.8 liters. I have the 0.2 left of the 9th bottle, and it's in liters . Will wait a few ignition cycles before slowly topping it off. But I always have to put about 1/2-qt more than manuals call for on my cars since I drain oil until nothing comes out. I don't know how long my car was drained, but will find out soon enough. By the way, it was completely full when I picked it up in Vegas, and stayed that way after 760 miles between 80 and 100 mph, so looks like my engine is not going to be an oil drinker . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
MSoldier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf77 View Post
Actually, the oil is not part of the program. I went for a top off earlier this month and they made me buy the oil. I was pissed and he said it is because the M3 uses special oil not used by other BMWs. I paid the 18 bucks. Indicator said add a qt and after doing so gauge was at highest level.
Interesting, I walked into a dealer a few weeks ago because I was low on oil and didn't know no one else carried 10W-60, they handed me a bottle and said have a nice days when I said oil was low. I don't see why topping off a vehicle is not part of the program, that's BS. You're only asking for a quart, not the whole dam oil change.
Appreciate 0