BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 750i '09 650i '09 750Li ED

Rear Entertainment Controller Question - Remote or Center Console?

For some reason I see pictures of both setups - If you have the rear entertainment - can you let me know which one you have?

I am perplexed at the inconsistent pictures I see - and no explanation!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Now with Canada's Multimedia Package you get : Multimedia Package
$3,500
Includes: 6-Disc DVD Changer Located in Upper Glove Box, Rear Entertainment System, (Dual 9.2" displays, rear iDrive controller, rear DVD drive and dual auxiliary input)

and with the US bound 7er's Rear Entertainment, it only comes with 2 8inch screens and a remote

Last edited by bmr760; 10-12-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

hmmm.. Since I havent finalized my order - why cant I order my via Canada?

It looks like the more I look into this the more I get dissapointed.

It appears that Canada can order Active Steering & Individual Package combined - US cannot!
It also appears that in the US, the rear TV is only for watching Videos - NOT THE IDRIVE Function!!! Which is why the US version has a remote control, while Canada gets a rear iDrive controller on the arm rest.

This is aweful for the US at least and my taste.
Also - the Canada screen is a 9.4 in widescreen, while the US is an 8 inch screen.
A serious WTF!!!!!!!!?????? is in order!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm5272 View Post
hmmm.. Since I havent finalized my order - why cant I order my via Canada?

It looks like the more I look into this the more I get dissapointed.

It appears that Canada can order Active Steering & Individual Package combined - US cannot!
It also appears that in the US, the rear TV is only for watching Videos - NOT THE IDRIVE Function!!! Which is why the US version has a remote control, while Canada gets a rear iDrive controller on the arm rest.

This is aweful for the US at least and my taste.
Also - the Canada screen is a 9.4 in widescreen, while the US is an 8 inch screen.
A serious WTF!!!!!!!!?????? is in order!
Interesting. In the past it was usually the other way around. You guys got all the options and our configurations were somewhat limited.

The new 750 on the other hand is fully decked out and ALL of the features are available on the Canadian model (if you configure it that way).

I wonder if this has something to do with either production volume issues or they decided that for a 2010 model year they are going to offer those items to sort of distinguish it a bit from the 2009 model year?!?

BTW: I agree with the last line in your post!!!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

My configuration looks like the one in the first picture with the following differences:

1) Leather is Platinum Merino which is somewhat lighter in color than the Oyster Nappa leather as seen in the above picture

2) The trim is Piano Black with Piano String Inlay

3) The iDrive controller will be in black ceramic

4) The screen bezels will be in black, the individual package automatically changes them to black and that's the only color they come in. In non-individual compositions, they match the upholstery color and come in either oyster, beige or black.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My order will be placed this week as such:
US Version:
750 Li Citrin Black
Amaro Leather
Piano Black Wood Trim
Individual Package.
All Packages, All options, except Sport Package
I even added the Maintenance Extension, and HD Radio, and Ceramic Controls.

Should be nice - Here is a pic of the interior of how it would look.

Originally wanted Moonstone Exterior - but could not find a consistent pic and no dealer had one to see personally. Decided on Citrin Black.
I also decided to remove the heated steering, and go with the Piano Trimming on the steering wheel as well - a little hard to see on this pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My order will be placed this week as such:
US Version:
750 Li Citrin Black
Amaro Leather
Piano Black Wood Trim
Individual Package.
All Packages, All options, except Sport Package
I even added the Maintenance Extension, and HD Radio, and Ceramic Controls.

Should be nice - Here is a pic of the interior of how it would look.

Originally wanted Moonstone Exterior - but could not find a consistent pic and no dealer had one to see personally. Decided on Citrin Black.
I also decided to remove the heated steering, and go with the Piano Trimming on the steering wheel as well - a little hard to see on this pic.
Very Nice! And congrats...

I had considered the individual steering wheel with the wood inlay as well, but since it removes the heated steering wheel function, decided to stick with the heated sport steering wheel instead... ya know the Canadian winter is cold

Also, personally I don't like the wood inlay in the steering wheel and prefer the leather feel. I've seen the individual steering wheel with honey brown wood inlay and it didn't do it for me at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Is that image you attached from the European configurator?

It does not show the option buttons to the bottom left of the steering wheel just below the satin aluminum strip!

It also still shows the regular control knobs not the ceramic version.

The Amaro leather looks nice though!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Very Nice! And congrats...

I had considered the individual steering wheel with the wood inlay as well, but since it removes the heated steering wheel function, decided to stick with the heated sport steering wheel instead... ya know the Canadian winter is cold

Also, personally I don't like the wood inlay in the steering wheel and prefer the leather feel. I've seen the individual steering wheel with honey brown wood inlay and it didn't do it for me at all.
I agree - In Honey Brown - I did not like it either - but thats just me. I think it is nice and subtle in the black on black. I agree with the Cold in Canada - cant blame ya there!

Quote:

It does not show the option buttons to the bottom left of the steering wheel just below the satin aluminum strip!

You have a good eye - I quickly went to the BMW website and just chose the Amaro leather and piano black to show the look. I didnt know you had an eagle eye - Very good. You are correct in your assessment, but I did chose all those options - This was from the US website, I will update the pic with all the options I have signed up for. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here is as listed in order form: I also like that this color comes with Black Floors!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Here is your configuration in a slightly larger version... That should look really nice

Name:  Forum Member dm5272 Interior 01.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  99.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

THanks Xdrive -
There are a few minor differences.. but the picture look good on my 24" MAC.

What are they you ask? The steering wheel is diff. When you choose Indiv. package, the steering gets that silver trim, and the indiv logo plate is on the bottom section of the steering wheel as well.

I also noticed the Piano black wood trim is not there on the steering wheel too.

Thanks again for this bigger pic - I can see it much better.
I really like this color combo, Amaro seats, black floors, Amaro lower Dash, black Piano wood trimming & center console, Amaro Mid Dash, Black leather top dash, Amaro Pillars, and Black Exterior. It just flows and look coordinated and as if it was a complete custom made choices. Maybe just me - i may be drinking my own kool-aid.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
THanks Xdrive -
There are a few minor differences.. but the picture look good on my 24" MAC.

What are they you ask? The steering wheel is diff. When you choose Indiv. package, the steering gets that silver trim, and the indiv logo plate is on the bottom section of the steering wheel as well.

I also noticed the Piano black wood trim is not there on the steering wheel too.

Thanks again for this bigger pic - I can see it much better.
I really like this color combo, Amaro seats, black floors, Amaro lower Dash, black Piano wood trimming & center console, Amaro Mid Dash, Black leather top dash, Amaro Pillars, and Black Exterior. It just flows and look coordinated and as if it was a complete custom made choices. Maybe just me - i may be drinking my own kool-aid.
Sorry, you are right, I forgot to change the steering wheel setting from Sport steering wheel to the wood inlay individual steering wheel.

Here is an updated view:

Name:  Forum Member dm5272 Interior 02.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  102.1 KB

I have a larger version if you would like one, just let me know what resolution you would like this image in. The forum servers maximum resolution is 1680.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Rear DVD - update

I spoke to a rep from BMWNA - he confirmed that as of now, you cannot play two different DVD's in the rear. You can, however, play a DVD, in the front dash while parked, and also play another DVD from the rear DVD player in the rear- but both rear screens will play the same DVD.

He seemed abit clueless, but said that I was the first to ask the operational question. He said he spoke to the Product Mgr of the F01 and confirmed this bad news.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I spoke to a rep from BMWNA - he confirmed that as of now, you cannot play two different DVD's in the rear. You can, however, play a DVD, in the front dash while parked, and also play another DVD from the rear DVD player in the rear- but both rear screens will play the same DVD.

He seemed abit clueless, but said that I was the first to ask the operational question. He said he spoke to the Product Mgr of the F01 and confirmed this bad news.
What I don't get is that for you and me and probably everyone else (even more so for those that have kids), this seems a pretty straight forward idea that you SHOULD be able to play TWO DIFFERENT movies on the two screens!!! Especially considering that you do have 2 maybe even 3 sources that you could use to play from. The rear DVD player, the glove box DVD changer and the dashboard DVD player.
Are these BMW engineers locked up for so long that they don't understand anything else or are they really this narrow minded?

When you asked BMWNA, did they tell you that this applies to both the standard and the professional rear entertainment system?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #16
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
What I don't get is that for you and me and probably everyone else (even more so for those that have kids), this seems a pretty straight forward idea that you SHOULD be able to play TWO DIFFERENT movies on the two screens!!! Especially considering that you do have 2 maybe even 3 sources that you could use to play from. The rear DVD player, the glove box DVD changer and the dashboard DVD player.
Are these BMW engineers locked up for so long that they don't understand anything else or are they really this narrow minded?

When you asked BMWNA, did they tell you that this applies to both the standard and the professional rear entertainment system?
Yes, I asked him and he wasn't sure since the Professional DVD setup is not available in the US. I also asked him about optional part #65-50-9-187-604 which is called (optional) video switching module for vehicles equiped with factory installed Rear Entertaiment System (SA ZRP). ETA 5/1/09. He didn't know what this was at this time. IMHO - I think this is an optional module that may allow what we are looking for. It is a $540.05 part that requires 1.0 hour installation.....

Hmmmmmm?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
Stein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Does anyone know for sure if the Sports Steering Wheel comes with the 750i Individual Package?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Yes, I asked him and he wasn't sure since the Professional DVD setup is not available in the US. I also asked him about optional part #65-50-9-187-604 which is called (optional) video switching module for vehicles equiped with factory installed Rear Entertaiment System (SA ZRP). ETA 5/1/09. He didn't know what this was at this time. IMHO - I think this is an optional module that may allow what we are looking for. It is a $540.05 part that requires 1.0 hour installation.....

Hmmmmmm?
Well, I found the module in the parts database... Wonder what they us it for?!?

Name:  750_TV_Module_Video_Switch.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  130.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the Sports Steering Wheel comes with the 750i Individual Package?
I will try answer if you can tell me what is the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
Sorry, didn't see your question until dm5272 replied !

I can't answer for the US market, but in Canada, the individual composition package does include the sport steering wheel.

The Standard Multifunctional Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Steering_Wheel_Airbag_Multifunctional.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  83.4 KB

The Sports Multifunctional Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Steering_Wheel_Sports_Airbag_Multifunctional.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  80.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will try answer if you can tell me what is the difference.
I had a quick look at www.bmwusa.com and according to the online configuration tool, it appears that the sport steering wheel is only included in the sport package. You only get the standard steering wheel on the 750i individual composition package and on the 750Li you can change it to the individual steering wheel that has the wood inlay.

Here are two pictures of the same configuration (750i) with the two different steering wheel options:

The Standard Multifunctional Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Steering_Wheel_Standard_Dashboard_View_1680.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  111.6 KB

The Sports Multifunctional Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Steering_Wheel_Sports_Dashboard_View_1680.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  112.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a quick look at www.bmwusa.com and according to the online configuration tool, it appears that the sport steering wheel is only included in the sport package. You only get the standard steering wheel on the 750i individual composition package and on the 750Li you can change it to the individual steering wheel that has the wood inlay.

Here are two pictures of the same configuration (750i) with the two different steering wheel options:

]
If you do the BMWUSA configuration again - IT appears you get the Sports wheel when you add the inlay option. If you stay with the standard heated steering - you get the normal steering wheel.
Can someone tell me what the difference is besides the two bumps at around 11 and 2 o'clock on the steering? They both have multi functions buttons. Thanks!
Appreciate 0