ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Brake Fluid Flush for HPDE

Signed up for my first driving school with the local Rocky Mountain BMWCCA, definitely pumped

The tech inspection requires brake fluid be no more than 4 months old. My Z4MC has 15k miles on it with original brake fluid.

What's the cheapest/best way to get this done? Dealer is probably the most $$, and I've read a post or two about sketchy deal brake fluid flushes, plus I'd rather not inform them I am heading out to the track. What's a good price for an indy?

I'd like to keep OEM fluids in the car (unless people here convince me otherwise). Is it just crazy to replace probably perfectly good OEM fluid with more OEM fluid? Will it surprise the dealer to see an aftermarket fluid in the car when I take it in for future warrenty/maintence work?

Also, how critical is it that I actually replace the brake fluid on a 07 MC with 15K on it? The rule rule doesn't seem very applicable to my car/situation?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Among other factors, heat contributes to brake fluid break down. So it's a good idea to go ahead and do it for safety sake if not just piece of mind. My car has 15K on it and has has the fluid flushed five times. It's an EXTREMELY simple process that can be done in ten minutes more than the time it takes to take all the wheels off and put them back on. Because I'm OCD and a fan of overkill, I take a few minutes to do this at the end of each track day, track-side, before I go home...that's how easy it is.

Do it yourself, it's just that easy.

Grab your wife, have her work the pedal, use a different color fluid (like ATE Super Blue) so it's real obvious when you've flushed the old fluid out, and for god sake make sure you keep the brake fluid reservoir filled to the full level throughout the process.

Follow David Zeckhausen's guide here: http://knol.google.com/k/david-zeckh...30yrdsu4ice/3# and "bleed" each caliper until you get to the new color fluid (note if you use the blue, make sure you get to blue and not just green which is a mixture of the yellow+blue)
      04-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Your other option is to use an independent BMW shop to do the work. I ran out of time before my last event had to go this route. Checkout http://www.bimrs.org/index.html for a list of good shops in your area.
      04-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I got a question about this...

After you've bled the brakes, do you need to bleed the clutch line as well ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

jragan, thank you for the reply, will investigate.

Has anyone heard of the dealer refusing the maintenance-plan-covered brake pad replacement because of cooked brakes from the track?

I only plan to do a couple events per year, so would like to take advantage of as many warrenty / maintenance plan freebies as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
boxter4ever
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0si

bleeding

go to www.motiveproducts.com buy a power bleeder you will be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
I got a question about this...

After you've bled the brakes, do you need to bleed the clutch line as well ?
In terms of flushing...Being as both systems use the same fluid and master reservoir, technically yes...But the clutch system doesn't generate or deal with the heat the braking system does so you really don't have to include the clutch fluid in with the brake flush except if you're adding new brake fluid that doesn't mix with the existing type of brake fluid.

In terms of bleeding...If your clutch feels fine then no, you don't need to bleed it...The cluch bleed nipple is in such a tight spot that's a hassle and you may end up introducing more air in than you're getting out if you slip off and don't close when you should etc.