New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Scary comments on Z4 test drive

I am quoting the following comments on a Z4 test drive by drivers-republic.com, I dont know I am a bit apprehansive now about the car, read the following:

"The body control - pretty hopeless in Normal, acceptable in Sport and Sport+ - is on a par with the SLK, but a world away from a Boxster, and to be honest I think the SLK is more nimble and feels lighter, keener to work with you at high speeds. It's like there's a hesitancy built-in to the Z4, even the engine feels happiest just stroking along using no more than 5000rpm. It's a smooth and terrifically powerful unit, but it doesn't zing to the red line like a BMW should."

"First thing you'll notice is that the ride quality is leagues ahead of the knobbly old Z4, in fact it's quite incredibly supple considering its runflat tyres. Next you'll be surprised how effective the DCT 'box is when left in 'D', shuffling between ratios with all the fluidity of a torque converter auto, snapping upshifts through seamlessly and in 'S' delivering intuitive rev-perfect downshifts when approaching a corner or roundabout. Impressive. But you'll also be slightly shocked that the Z4 doesn't feel like a sports car at all - more like a comfortable 3-Series sized saloon car... "

"On a road this good (good enough to get the brakes smoking and the pedal sinking to the floor) the Z4 should be utterly brilliant, inspiring even. But despite carrying good speed, offering consistent and predictable levels of grip and excellent traction it just doesn't get your pulse racing. Even the manual car - which felt somehow tauter, with a cleaner line of communication between throttle and engine and more energy in the way it revved, doesn't quite hit the spot (although I think it's the transmission of choice if you want thrills from your Z4). "

My God, have the enthusiasts been proven right?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

Why would anyone be surprised? The car is on a 3-Series platform, it is bloated, heavy and bigger than the previous Z4. A roadster with the new Z's dimensions and specs will never handle as well as the mid-engine Boxster or the more taut SLK. It is a user-friendly cruiser aimed to please a larger demographic than the previous model. I was excited as everyone else and will still see and test drive the car. But now, especially with prices heading into the $60k range, I am almost certain a Boxster is in my future.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

most test drive hilight a better compromise between confort, ride quality and handling, also in sport + mode, a ride pretty similar to previous z4. would not be scared by these comments, the best is to test drive yourself, i dont trust reviews. for me the new z4 is in between a series 3 and a boxster, certainly closer to series 3 than porsche. if you want a car handling like a boxster then yes you ll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Looks like the M division has got its work cut out on this one!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
God.... SLK is nimbler than the z4?????????????????
Haha...That's plain crazy.
I guess new z4 really went into the blvd cruiser type.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW may have tuned the car out of the factory to be softer (won't know for sure till we all test drive the car ourselves), but i'm sure the underlying fundamentals of the drive are going to be up to par with BMW standard, and a few simple changes will bring this car up to phenomenal handling and ride. for me, that would include a set of normal summer tires (no RFTs here!), change of the springs and shocks, and possibly a set of thicker anti-roll bars. Something along those lines and I bet this car would be a killer.
      04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Im waiting for the track tests...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
BMW may have tuned the car out of the factory to be softer (won't know for sure till we all test drive the car ourselves)
I think this is a relatively safe guess (see the attached picture)...

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Let me start my selective reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
"...is on a par with the SLK, but a world away from a Boxster,...
Why compare the Z4 with a Boxster? At least in Europe prices of a Boxster are far away from prices for a Z4. If this is different in the US it might be a different story.

BMW themselves also don't compare the Z4 to a Boxster (they target Audi TT and Merc SLK but not Porsche).

Quote:
"First thing you'll notice is that the ride quality is leagues ahead of the knobbly old Z4, in fact it's quite incredibly supple considering its runflat tyres...
Very good. So I can have my two seater BMW and have the best ride ever (in an affordable two seater BMW).

Quote:
"But you'll also be slightly shocked that the Z4 doesn't feel like a sports car at all - more like a comfortable 3-Series sized saloon car... "
Exactly what I am looking for. Right on spot.

I feel sorry for all other guys who are looking for the ultimate sports car - but for me it closes the deal.

Quote:
My God, have the enthusiasts been proven right?
I couldn't care less. I believe the BMW will still be solid ride - maybe not ultimately sporty but still good value for money.

You see, it is always a question of your own expectations.

I know that this may not be the common opinion in this forum and I understand that some (most?) of you guys are looking for something different. Personally, I am very happy with the development the Z4 is taking.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Hey, everyone has their opinions. It's clear, from reading the numerous reviews, that some people love it whilst other people don't. This reviewer is clearly one who doesn't like the car. The review is littered with hidden positives wrapped up in general negativity. Such as, "it's really smooth, BUT...", or, "it's terrifically powerful, BUT..."

What strikes me as really surprising is what he had to say about the International Engine of Year (2008):

"It's a smooth and terrifically powerful unit, but it doesn't zing to the red line like a BMW should."

The motoring press have pretty much been waxing lyrical on this engine ever since it first appeared in the 335 but this guy finds something bad to say about it. Sums the article up for me.

I personally wouldn't get too hung up with reviews. If you're thinking of getting one but are still undecided book a test drive and form your own opinion. Much better than simply reading this review and projecting one man's view onto your own. One such poster, in another thread on this site, did exactly that (test driving the Z4 35, a Boxster and a TT) and decided on the Z4. Hmm, maybe they're not too bad after all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It is quite obvious that BMW are not really targeting the previous generation of Z4 owners with the 09. They are playing to a different audience altogether...

Also, the reviewer is correct...the N54 does not zing to redline like a true roadster engine should. This is what probably concerned me the most. I would prefer a high-revving 6 in a 2-seater sports car. It also confirms that BMW is appealing to a certain segment with their range, especially the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
It is quite obvious that BMW are not really targeting the previous generation of Z4 owners with the 09. They are playing to a different audience altogether...

Also, the reviewer is correct...the N54 does not zing to redline like a true roadster engine should. This is what probably concerned me the most. I would prefer a high-revving 6 in a 2-seater sports car. It also confirms that BMW is appealing to a certain segment with their range, especially the 35i.
Maybe this is an interesting read for you:

http://www.richardaucock.com/bmw-z4-...nt-background/

It is BMW policy that they want each car to have a different characteristic.

They may share the same engine (N54) but the cars should have a different personality.

Quote:
"just as the 5 cannot simply be a shrunken 7 or a big 3, so the Z4 should not be a quasi-M, or a 135i Coupe with 2 less seats."

They surely could have made the Z4 a pure sports car, if they had wanted to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post
I think this is a relatively safe guess (see the attached picture)...

Interesting.
Did you create the graph?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent60 View Post
Interesting.
Did you create the graph?

it's a bmw slide...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedfive View Post
it's a bmw slide...
Yep. Shown at the official Press launch in Alicante.

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3525999...7615722693868/
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
" did you create the graph....". That's funny. Agree it looks little homemade. NOT bmw quality looks like they took a pic of a pic and posted it.
      04-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
" did you create the graph....". That's funny. Agree it looks little homemade. NOT bmw quality looks like they took a pic of a pic and posted it.
Well, I assume it was displayed and photographed by the journalist.

The original slide probably looks better and cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well I am glad they have made the ride more supple. My other sports cars dont exactly spoil you in that department.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I really liked Honda S2000. It really give F1 feeling when you drive it. Its sad Honda don't produce a S2000 successor, because I still think S2000 is great car for people who want very sporty oriented roadster... I hope Z2 will be similar ...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post

I guess I was expecting something a little more professional(for lack of a better word) if it came from BMW. Anyone here could have made the graph shown. Silly me.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #21
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent60 View Post

I guess I was expecting something a little more professional(for lack of a better word) if it came from BMW. Anyone here could have made the graph shown. Silly me.
Clear.

But then, what relevance would the picture have, if I would have doodled it

To be relevant it must come from BMW at this stage (since up to now they are the only ones who can judge the behaviour)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #22
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

It seems to me that BMW is positioning the z4 for that baby boomer crowd who has become successful in life and want a luxurious but not harsh sports car experience. You know - something that is more exotic than a Corvette, but less splashy and expensive than an Aston Martin (or you fill in the blank).

I would guess they plan on producing fewer of them too. But the Z2 will take the place of those who lusted after the more sporty buzz in your seats experience that came from the Z3; yet do it with more pizzaz, more luxury (options) and considerably less money than a well equipped Z4. It's product differentiation. We're all just used to one 2-seat BMW sports car (the Z8 notwithstanding) and many of us are chagrined over the high MSRP of this fabulous machine.

Unless BMW comes out with substantial manufacturer discounts, I doubt my next car will be the Z4. This might be the push that gets me into a C6 instead

Doug
Appreciate 0