E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Spluttering Then Limp Mode?

04-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 // Panamera Turbo

Engine Spluttering Then Limp Mode?

So just now, I started my car, and immediately it sounded horrible. The engine was spluttering and it sounded like it was about to die anytime. It would randomly rev up to 2.5k and then come back down to 800. Then on the nav screen, it says "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power."
When I opened the hood, there was foam everywhere, it came from the foam cover thing on the hood. I'm pretty sure a rodent got in and started gnawing at my engine harness.
Any idea what parts he chewed up? or what else could have happened?
I'm having it towed to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. Hopefully, they can fix it ASAP.
Oh yeah, I have no engine mods.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

If it is due to a roddent chewing at your engine.. GL on getting BMW to cover that under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Damn, you dont think they can somehow cover it under warranty?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
I guarantee the issue is your spark plugs. I just had the EXACT same problem. I took it into the dealer, and they replaced all six fuel injectors and upgraded the software. Doing so made the idle a little better and it didn't throw a code, however when I put my tune back in that has a 4 degree timing advance at idle, the issue came back immediately. I replaced the plugs this weekend by myself and the issue is completely resolved-- tuned or valet mode (stock).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

BMW won't cover it but your insurance company will... Of course you need to pay the deductible.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho View Post
So just now, I started my car, and immediately it sounded horrible. The engine was spluttering and it sounded like it was about to die anytime. It would randomly rev up to 2.5k and then come back down to 800. Then on the nav screen, it says "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power."
When I opened the hood, there was foam everywhere, it came from the foam cover thing on the hood. I'm pretty sure a rodent got in and started gnawing at my engine harness.
Any idea what parts he chewed up? or what else could have happened?
I'm having it towed to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. Hopefully, they can fix it ASAP.
Oh yeah, I have no engine mods.

What is that on your air filter? I can't really make it out in the pic..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

foam and what looks to be like a hardened orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dropped the car off at Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. I talked to my SA Chris Zappia. He said that they would take a look at it in the morning, but if it is damage caused by a rodent, it is NOT covered under warranty. But he would do his best to get a good discount on parts and labor. Also, only the Check Engine Light is on, so he said it isnt that bad to the point where all the lights on the dash are on.
Hopefully I will be hearing good news from him tomorrow
but if you guys are in the area and need service or anything. Give Chris a call he will hook it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Put moth balls in the hood from now on.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the car back today.
They switched out spark plugs and fuel injectors. One of the cylinders was misfiring. Anyways, the car runs great again My SA says that I should take some precaution with the rodents because they did see some chewing on different parts of the engine.
But everything is good
Thanks Chris for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
glad to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Sounds familiar. I had the exact same issue/resolution (minus the hood insulation everywhere )

SI B12 06 09
Appreciate 0