BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
nkweisberg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Le Mans Blue / Bamboo

Please post your track experience with BBK's

I'd love some feedback on peoples experience with their brake upgrades. Specifically, on track performance. I currently have upgraded my OEM setup with Ferodo pads, Stoptech SS lines and Castrol SRF. This setup is working well for me and I will likely keep this until something goes. I track my car weekly for around 1.5 -2 hours so things are going to wear out and I like to plan ahead.

Please post which BBK you have upgraded to and how happy you are with it on the track. I don't care how many pistons or how pretty it is, just performance (and price). If you have done a BBK and are disappointed in the performance please post that as well.

I am posting this in the track session specifically for feedback from those tracking their M3's.

Some upgrades I have being installed this week are track dedicated CCW c10 18x10 square rims with 275/35 Hoosier tires, Dinan springs and camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

i got my bbk last year after i warped my stock breaks at Watkins Glen. i had 15 trackdays last year and the breaks held up great. Now they are finally developing a little shoulder on the rotors, but still they are nowhere near at the end of their life. In that time i went through 2 set of front pads.

I spent the last two days at the glen again and finally got a chance to track with another fellow enthusiast also with an M3.

on the front and back straighaway i could outbrake him with at least 100 feet every time.

this upgrade was the most expensive on my car, but it was well worth the money. Btw they are the 380mm 6 piston brembos upfront and 355mm 4 piston in the back.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
i got my bbk last year after i warped my stock breaks at Watkins Glen. i had 15 trackdays last year and the breaks held up great. Now they are finally developing a little shoulder on the rotors, but still they are nowhere near at the end of their life. In that time i went through 2 set of front pads.

I spent the last two days at the glen again and finally got a chance to track with another fellow enthusiast also with an M3.

on the front and back straighaway i could outbrake him with at least 100 feet every time.

this upgrade was the most expensive on my car, but it was well worth the money. Btw they are the 380mm 6 piston brembos upfront and 355mm 4 piston in the back.
Good to hear of someone putting Brembos to use. What size and type wheels are you running with them on the track?
      04-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

unfortunately when i got the car,(last Apr) the only brake kit that was available was the 380mm front and 355mm rear from Brembo.
I know I know... their appearance is a bit flashy, and they are expensive,but i have to admit that they are incredible on the track!

I wanted to get a set of trackwheels and tires this year along with tons of other stuff, but business is a little slower, so i have to hold off.

right now i have the stock 19'' with stock tires on.
Finally got hawk racing pads, the only downside of that is that you have to put them in at the track, since they don't reach their operating temperature on the street.
I'll try them this coming monday at NJ Motorsport park.
I'll let you know.
Tamas
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkweisberg View Post
I'd love some feedback on peoples experience with their brake upgrades. Specifically, on track performance. I currently have upgraded my OEM setup with Ferodo pads, Stoptech SS lines and Castrol SRF. This setup is working well for me and I will likely keep this until something goes. I track my car weekly for around 1.5 -2 hours so things are going to wear out and I like to plan ahead.

Please post which BBK you have upgraded to and how happy you are with it on the track. I don't care how many pistons or how pretty it is, just performance (and price). If you have done a BBK and are disappointed in the performance please post that as well.

I am posting this in the track session specifically for feedback from those tracking their M3's.

Some upgrades I have being installed this week are track dedicated CCW c10 18x10 square rims with 275/35 Hoosier tires, Dinan springs and camber plates.
Stoptech BBK offers you the best bang for your buck in my opinion. You will have much broader brake pad selection, cheaper replacement pads and discs, and more caliper to wheel clearance(Stopetech's 6 piston caliper has a much lower profile than Brembos).
Appreciate 0