E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Connecting an Apple i pod

07-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Question Connecting an Apple i pod

I'm sure you guys know the anwser to this.

When I get my new car, i am keen to connect my nano ipod to the cars stereo through the aux connection hidden in the centre arm rest.

Question: Where can i get a cable from to connect the 2 together ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin

When I get my new car, i am keen to connect my nano ipod to the cars stereo through the aux connection hidden in the centre arm rest.

Cheers
Hahaha- have a look here.

You can try using the forum's search facility- top right on any page- it works wonders!

You can get that cable from Maplin, Dixons, Currys or any other electrical store.

Just one thing though- what stereo system have you ordered for your car, Snake Pliskin?

Just in case you didn't know, you should be able to play mp3/wma audio files in the car, depending on which system you have (info courtesy of a post by London320d- cheers):

Non iDrive cars:
Dash Slot - MP3/WMA
CD Changer - MP3/WMA from March 05

iDrive Cars with Professional Nav:
Dash Slot - MP3 Only (with appropriate Car s/w level Oct 05 or upgraded)

iDrive Cars with Business Nav:
Dash Slot - MP3 (not sure about WMA) (with appropriate Car s/w level Mar 05 or upgraded)

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin

Cheers
the Best sound from the IPOD is via the line-out - this bypasses the ipods amp and gives you a pure signal (volume control on the ipod no longer functions.

The nano has a dock-connector at the base (where you plug it into your PC). So you need a dock connector cable to use the line out.

Do NOT get the Belkin cable in the linked thread - it's rubbish - it has a crappy little pre-amp that will throw the sound quality completely - don't buy it.

Instead get the 'monster cable low profile charger':

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=120584

You'll also need a straightforward 3.5mm male / male STEREO connection cable - I got mine from amazon.

Now .. something I wanted to check - the monster cable charges your ipod as well as providing the line out jack. In the armrest - next to the aux input - is there a 12 volt power adapter? I think I can see one in the photo in theother thread but it would be good to have this confirmed by someone in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
There is a cig socket 12V. Only problem is it powers off with the car.
      07-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Now .. something I wanted to check - the monster cable charges your ipod as well as providing the line out jack. In the armrest - next to the aux input - is there a 12 volt power adapter? I think I can see one in the photo in theother thread but it would be good to have this confirmed by someone in the UK.
Yes- there is definitely a 12v adaptor next to the aux input.

The ipod adapters work well, as long as you aren't too bothered about changing tracks whilst you drive.

In that respect, using mp3/wma CDs or DVDs (if you have SatNav Business or Pro) is far easier.

Depending on compression, you can fit 100-150 mp3 tracks onto a CD without any problem.
If you have the 6CD changer, you've got potential access to a total of 7 discs worth of music.
Throw in the DVD drive if you have in-car SatNav (can't use it at the same time as SatNavPro use, but you can on SatNavBusiness) & with a double-layer disc, you have another 8.5Gb to play with- over 2000 more music tracks.

I've got an ipod shuffle 1Gb & nano 4Gb, but don't use either in the car, because I'm happier using the in-car system.
I'd rather leave the ipods at home when I don't have to keep them in the car.

All the best.

Viv.

BTW- for those with idrive, the BMW MOST ipod interface is probably due for UK release in September- more info about JSpira's US test here

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Yes- there is definitely a 12v adaptor next to the aux input.
Thanks - I was getting slightly worried that the 12 volt adapter wasn't there. I'm ok that it turns off with the ignition - in fact I prefer that.

I had the aux input retro'd to my 530d when I bought it along with a power socket - sited in the passenger footwell. I use the monster cable charger I mentioned above and have a non damaging bracket and mount that keeps the ipod nicely to hand when driving:

(NB: photo was taken when I still had the belkin cable - don't buy it!)

It's a 30 gig job and it's nearly full, so I'm pretty keen to use it in the e90.

I'm hoping I can tuck it into the armrest (actually wondering if it'll fit upright in the cup holder slot thing) and just lift it out when I want to change tracks.

Less accessible than my current set-up but neater and the ipod is not visible to thieves.

Might get crowded in there though cause I'll have the snapfit cradle as well for my phone.

I modded my e60's aux input to improve the sound (removed some in-line caps and resistors) if the sound quality is muddy I may have to pull out the e90's cable and try the same trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Might get crowded in there though cause I'll have the snapfit cradle as well for my phone.
Crowded? Ha! That's an understatement. I have the phone cradle and I can barely get a moleskin notebook and mechanical pencil in there. What I'd like to have is a small metal clip that can be attached to the armrest lid into which I could slip the notebook so I don't have to move everything to get the phone out.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Plenty of advise there guys cheers !

I have the standard professional steroe but have spec'd the optional 6 disc boot mounted cd unit.

I am sure they are all mp3 compatible so you are quite right in that there is huge potential for cd storage there, but i also have a lot of songs on my ipod already so its handy to have the option to play it in the car, especially as the aux connection is there already.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Boner1979
Rep
Drives: Black 335i SE Coupe

I was quoted £444 for a docking station in the glove box of my e92. Full control of iPod with steering wheel and idrive.

Seems a little steep though especially with mp3 already available.
Appreciate 0