E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Someone backed into my Car

05-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

Someone backed into my Car

I was at the UPS store mailing something out. As I look outside I see a guy backing up and I see him get close to my car and before I could do or say anything..BANG! He backed right into me. I ran out of the store and I am pretty sure if I didn't he would have driven off...I hit his trunk to let him know to stop and he did. He got out and was a pretty big dude. He took a look at my car and said there is no damage, however I was adament on taking all his information as it is a lease. I looked it over and since it was raining, it didn't look bad and he was on his way. I dried the car off and you could see all these scuffs on the back bumper. BMW was next door so I took it in.

When I took it in, one of the SA's looked it over and he said it could probably be buffed out. I ran into one of my old SA's and he came over to look at it and another guy I knew also came to look..before you knew it, I had about 6 SA's looking at my car. I pretty much told them that if its something that can be buffed out and not looked down the line at end of lease, we can go that route or I have his insurance information if we should get it taken care of right away. They then mentioned that there is a slight dent and and that it would probably be billed to me at the end of lease. I'm thinking of 3 options.

Since I have all his info including insurance (he has my drivers license info), I am thinking of the following..What do you all think?

1) Get a estimate and bill him (He won't be happy about $1200 to $1500 for a back bumper..rough estimate from BMW)

2) Go right to his insurance company and file a claim

3) Tell him to give me the amount that it will cost to repair it. I then get the car bumper buffed out. When its end of lease, if they don't pick up on it, then I give him back the remainder. If they do...I pay them off at that point.

I'm not here to make money..I just don't want to get screwed at the end. What do you guys think I should do?
      05-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

sounds like insurance is ur safest bet?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

never play the 'pay me cash and I won't go through insurance" game. It never pans out, the hitter always underestimates the damage and is always surprised to hear the estimated cost of repair, and that never ends well. Go through your insurance. I've learned my lesson from previous hit and runs: Always call the police and file a report. But that ship has sailed, so your next best bet is through your insurance.
      05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
EuRoTUneR
Eurotuner
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasup1357 View Post
sounds like insurance is ur safest bet?
+1 =/
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
never play the 'pay me cash and I won't go through insurance" game. It never pans out, the hitter always underestimates the damage and is always surprised to hear the estimated cost of repair, and that never ends well. Go through your insurance. I've learned my lesson from previous hit and runs: Always call the police and file a report. But that ship has sailed, so your next best bet is through your insurance.
I always call the police but it literally looked like no damage till I dried the car off a bit and noticed how scuffed up it was. Once I took it to BMW, they noticed the warping of the bumper and the dent. You guys are right... I think it would be easier to go through insurance.

Is there any way for him to flip it on me? I thought about it after considering that he backed into me...although, the UPS store employee saw it happen (when I asked for a statement, he said that the guy is one of his clients and doesn't want to put it in writing) I wrote down the time, so I'm sure the UPS store survelience cameras would show me sprinting out of the store at that point.
      05-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
canucklion
Canada
Rep

I understand your situation, bro.

I would call your insurance ASAP, file a claim and indicate to them that there is a witness, your insurance company will act quickly. There is always the possibility of the guy flipping on you. I would really contact your insurance right now (they usually have a 24h claim hotline, DO IT NOW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer3253 View Post
I always call the police but it literally looked like no damage till I dried the car off a bit and noticed how scuffed up it was. Once I took it to BMW, they noticed the warping of the bumper and the dent. You guys are right... I think it would be easier to go through insurance.

Is there any way for him to flip it on me? I thought about it after considering that he backed into me...although, the UPS store employee saw it happen (when I asked for a statement, he said that the guy is one of his clients and doesn't want to put it in writing) I wrote down the time, so I'm sure the UPS store survelience cameras would show me sprinting out of the store at that point.
      05-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
I understand your situation, bro.

I would call your insurance ASAP, file a claim and indicate to them that there is a witness, your insurance company will act quickly. There is always the possibility of the guy flipping on you. I would really contact your insurance right now (they usually have a 24h claim hotline, DO IT NOW).
I was going to contact his insurance company directly b/c I don't want my insurance company to know. I have allstate and will lose my accident foregiveness and also my safe drivers deductible. Although I'm not sure if I am at risk to give that up since my car was parked and not moving. I'll call my agent up in the morning to find out
      05-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Ugh, I was in almost the exact same situation with my previous car. Some woman backed her Jeep Liberty out of her parking spot (in a garage) and cut the wheel too hard too early. Watched her do it from a distance, but initially didn't know she had actually hit me. Couldn't get any of her information. So I paid a $700 repair (deductible is $500, not worth putting it through insurance in my opinion) on a lease car that went back a month later. Sucks.

If you were parked and have a witness as to what happened, there's no reason Allstate should penalize you beyond a deductible. If you call his insurance, they'll contact your Allstate - there's no way to hide it like that once you get an insurance company involved.

For $1500, I'd put it through insurance. Unless it can be wet sanded/buffed out for a nominal fee (less than your deductible). Even if it's 90% perfect, you still may want to consider going this route. Also try a PDR place and get an estimate, just to see how it compares and what they can do. Even if it's not a dent they still may be able to work some magic on it and save you some cash.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Insurance, its the safest way out of being screwed in any way later.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

sry to hear that. hope you get her fixed soon
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

I contact his insurance company directly this morning and filed a claim. I only brought it to the BMW dealership since it was right next door. It was afterhours and body shops weren't open so I figured i'd just get an idea. It was funny b/c I think they forgot to lock the automatic garage and were all startled when I pulled in. Luckily the guys there are pretty cool and I know most of them. At end of lease, I'll take it to a different dealership (where I bought this one from). The one i went to last night was the place I bought my last one from but service this one.

(I follow around my salesman..where he goes..i go)
      05-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Pending Order

Garage List
call the guy and explain the situation. If he give you any trouble then report it to insurance. Its a lease so you are not going to be hurt with resale value when you give it back, so its best to get it taken care of the right way.
Pending- Something New and BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Tried to call him yesterday and this morning. His phone is turned off. I left him a VM yesterday but didn't today. I'm not going to sit and stay after the guy. I understand its only one day, but the longer I wait, the worse it would be for me. I think its best to get this reported within 24 hours of the accident.
      05-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
canucklion
Canada
Rep

He's trying to screw you over.

I thought you had already reported it? Don't wait around to talk to the guy.

Quote:
Tried to call him yesterday and this morning. His phone is turned off. I left him a VM yesterday but didn't today. I'm not going to sit and stay after the guy. I understand its only one day, but the longer I wait, the worse it would be for me. I think its best to get this reported within 24 hours of the accident.
      05-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
canucklion
Canada
Rep

that's not going to get you anything or anywhere. Call insurance directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan83 View Post
call the guy and explain the situation. If he give you any trouble then report it to insurance. Its a lease so you are not going to be hurt with resale value when you give it back, so its best to get it taken care of the right way.
      05-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

without insurance in the loop you run the risk of getting screwed big time

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Quote:
It is time for you to take action Op. File a claim & police reports & get your baby fixes. GL
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Agreed. You can't wait much longer at this point. Put it through your insurance. Again, don't call his - you pay insurance for times like this. Call Allstate, give them the information they need, and let them work it out.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys...I called my guy this morning and he told me to contact his directly and if i run into issues, then to call him up and let him know...We'll see how it goes
      05-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
i was surprised to learn that on leases BMW allows dents up to two inches in diameter!
Appreciate 0