E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > The 3m Plastic Leading Edge Protection

08-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
edspilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking

The 3m Plastic Leading Edge Protection

08-01-06 3:20pm ET

Wondering if you have purchased the leading edge clear plastic protection. The finance person was pusing it when I purchased. I did not bit. Will it last? Any paint damage from it?

Thoughts?

edspilot
Dean
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I got it for my car but did not go through the dealer to buy it. They will just outsource it to another company so that's just 1 more level or markup. Go directly to a company that installs them.

As long as it's installed correctly there's really no risk of damage to your paint from the film. I don't have long term experience with it but my understanding is they've fixed the problems that would cause the film to cloud or yellow over time. In this case I decided I'd rather prevent the damage than try to fix damage after it's occured.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
the vinyl bra is one of the best investment for ones car, it saves your car from rock chip and also a great reselling option for a car. 3M seems to be the most popular one, they warrant for them is up to 5 yrs, some non-3m brands are warranted even up to 7 years. They dont fade the car color too btw.

I have been shopping for quotes from local area installers, and I have bids from $1095, $750, and finally found one that will do it for $650. The install kit comprised of the front hood, upper/lower bumper, headlight/lower headlight panel, the front side of the quarter panel by the headlights. The vendor Im going with will also cover the side mirrors and door edge guard, maybe a small portion of the mud panel area.

If you would like to attempt this on your own, buy the kit, get a sqeegie, knife, spray bottle and maybe a pin to take air bubbles, also hair dryer.
1. fill the spray bottle half water, half alcohol and bottle cap of Johnson baby shampoo.
2. stripped wax from the area to cover, by applying alcohol, and let dry.
3. wet/saturate the area with the mix solution.
4. peel off the backing from the vinyl bra and wet the adhesive part with your mix solution.
5. affix the kit to the car area surface and work it in, sqeegie air out, once you feel you got it all out, use hair dryer to dry it. (work with small area first)
6. large kit would need 2 people to work it.

If you decide to just have it done I got some local vendors that have good recommendations from M3 forum mbrs.

Also, Bavarian(AJ) has this installed on his 330i, maybe you can PM him.

Good luck and have fun on your M driving class this week, take photos, and bring gifts back

Later Dean!

Last edited by ase2dais; 08-02-2006 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

ase... I dont have a 330, but thank you for suggesting I do
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
.........................................shhhh! bav

Dean, left you a voice mail about the vinyl bra place at Herndon, today!

Last edited by ase2dais; 08-03-2006 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0