E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Besides maximum HP...

05-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

Besides maximum HP...

Hello All,

I've been a lurker for a bit, and have been trying my best in keeping up with all the different options out there for our beloved N54. I'll apologize ahead of time if I say anything stupid or I've been able to answer most of my questions by searching, but every time I read about tunes, rarely do I see much else besides HP & 1/4 times.

I've finally decided to go ahead with making my car feel new again (mod time!) so here's a question regarding the various tunes out there.

(please note, I am not trying to start a brand war/HP war, just seeking some helpful advice)

Trying to make the smartest decision possible. Out of all the tunes out there, which one has done the best job in taking everything into consideration? By that I mean timing, reliability, etc...not just who can squeeze out the most HP, or post the biggest PSI increase on the poor little snails of turbos we have.

Thank you in advance for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
Hello All,

I've been a lurker for a bit, and have been trying my best in keeping up with all the different options out there for our beloved N54. I'll apologize ahead of time if I say anything stupid or I've been able to answer most of my questions by searching, but every time I read about tunes, rarely do I see much else besides HP & 1/4 times.

I've finally decided to go ahead with making my car feel new again (mod time!) so here's a question regarding the various tunes out there.

(please note, I am not trying to start a brand war/HP war, just seeking some helpful advice)

Trying to make the smartest decision possible. Out of all the tunes out there, which one has done the best job in taking everything into consideration? By that I mean timing, reliability, etc...not just who can squeeze out the most HP, or post the biggest PSI increase on the poor little snails of turbos we have.

Thank you in advance for any feedback

I would vote Dinan and Procede based on your question.......IMO JB3 seems to focus on the HP and 1/4 wars you've stated...and doing a damn good job!

there are other flashes out there but most have been less than impressive so far it seems....maybe ESS?
      05-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
if you don't want stress on your snails, go with the JB+. That way you'll get a quick install, substantial power gains, you won't need any other mods, and it is safe as long as you don't run around at 100% on 87 octane. I know that you could be looking for a more powerful tune, but based on your OP this is my .02
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Interesting topic. Which tune (JB3 or Procede) puts less stress on the engine, if you don't care about the ultimate hp gains, and maybe chose a less agressive map?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I would vote Dinan and Procede based on your question.......IMO JB3 seems to focus on the HP and 1/4 wars you've stated...and doing a damn good job!

there are other flashes out there but most have been less than impressive so far it seems....maybe ESS?
not to start a tune war or anything and all the respect to u and your knowledge but on what are you basing your claim of procede being more reliable?
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

pretty sure there is no conclusive evidence that one tune is more reliable than others. you could put a procede or JB3 on a high boost map and claim its not reliable or with those same tunes stay with lower boost and have more reliability.
      05-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
not to start a tune war or anything and all the respect to u and your knowledge but on what are you basing your claim of procede being more reliable?
certainly not scientific but I just feel that Shiv is a less aggressive tuner and leaves more headroom in his tunes, only thing I ever see Terry worried about it is putting out more power.......power sells tunes so i'm not bashing him for that.

also based on my personal experience w the procede vs a bunch of friends w/ the JB3 who are always complaining about a car that is pulling timing and not smooth up top.

thats where my statement came from.

truth is, run the right map and play it conservative and you will stay more reliable i'm sure. We're all HP junkies (at least most) so its hard to have the self control.

Last edited by Sniz; 05-11-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

+1

I own both tunes and feel that JB3 has more boost uptop and holds it longer before tapering towards redline. In part that might be why JB3 is faster as the main design philosophy was to build the quickest tune and most of the marketing is centred around 1/4 mile times.

The Procede emphasizes driveability and I have datalogged the latest canbus version numerous times and my current timing curves are spike free. Earlier iterations were not - as evidenced by Scalbert's tune comparisons and by my own BT datalogs.

I have posted several of my BT datalogs on this forum showing datalogs of timing advance and throttle closure.....would be nice to see some JB ones too!

The procede logs indicate to me that Shiv has made adjustments to timing correction and as far as I can tell by my BT datalogs, it actually is helping to prevent sudden timing events.

However, with both tunes, if you run a map that is too powerful for your car, you may experience some throttle closure and timing pull.

I think this shows up as a wobbly dyno curve.....and there are plenty of those on here!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
+1

I own both tunes and feel that JB3 has more boost uptop and holds it longer before tapering towards redline. In part that might be why JB3 is faster as the main design philosophy was to build the quickest tune and most of the marketing is centred around 1/4 mile times.

The Procede emphasizes driveability and I have datalogged the latest canbus version numerous times and my current timing curves are spike free. Earlier iterations were not - as evidenced by Scalbert's tune comparisons and by my own BT datalogs.

I have posted several of my BT datalogs on this forum showing datalogs of timing advance and throttle closure.....would be nice to see some JB ones too!

The procede logs indicate to me that Shiv has made adjustments to timing correction and as far as I can tell by my BT datalogs, it actually is helping to prevent sudden timing events.

However, with both tunes, if you run a map that is too powerful for your car, you may experience some throttle closure and timing pull.

I think this shows up as a wobbly dyno curve.....and there are plenty of those on here
!
thats about all I see honestly....I love seeing a nice smooth dyno making the power you expect from a 335 user, its just a rarity. Most are bouncing and having timing pulled as the owner keeps adding boost/stronger maps.
      05-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
certainly not scientific but I just feel that Shiv is a less aggressive tuner and leaves more headroom in his tunes, only thing I ever see Terry worried about it is putting out more power.......power sells tunes so i'm not bashing him for that.

also based on my personal experience w the procede vs a bunch of friends w/ the JB3 who are always complaining about a car that is pulling timing and not smooth up top.

truth is, run the right map and play it conservative and you will stay more reliable i'm sure. We're all HP junkies (at least most) so its hard to have the self control.
I respect your opinion, but honestly i have to disagree. I've had the JB3 for a long time and never had an issue with smoothness nor pulling timing. In fact I've loved every single version that came out of the JB3, each was somehow an improvement over the other even when I thought each time that it was perfect. But like you said, if you're going to run an aggressive map that your car cant handle you have to expect those issues. And honestly, not saying this in defense of the JB3 but I've never seen a Procede at the track that i go to (New england Dragway) that doesnt keep limping or the driver keeps complaining about an issue or even some say they were just spinning when you can obviously tell its a made up excuse cus he had a nice launch but something just went wrong half way through, which tells me a lot about the tune itself and its safety parameters

But in all fairness I have to admit, the new V3 Rev II is a huge improvement (atleast from reviews and friends opinions), I've heard a lot of +ve things about it, unlike the older versions which most of the times you'd hear -ve things about it more than the +ve.

I think there are risks with either tune and if you run the correct map and drive like a normal human being by not beating the hell of your car 24/7 on high boost maps, you wont be complaining about limp modes or even reliability issues
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
munters
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

Quote:

+1 This was my concern from the beginning and also the reason to never change my procede. Shiv is on the right way.
      05-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

If you want a little extra kick but not too extreme, why not just get the SSTT. I personally think this is the "safest" since it only runs 12psi of boost and still utilizes the stock ECU to do the tuning. It basically taps into a "stock" map designed for higher altitude (crappy air) to keep power from dropping by raising the boost from 8.5 psi to about 12 psi. That is my understanding of it atleast. JB+ is similar but different. Most people with SSTT's install it and drive it without ever having problems, in any type of weather.

I think with any tune the biggest "reliability" upgrade you can do is an FMIC. I like the Helix, but there are plenty available with different sizes and shapes. Less pressure drop means less stress on your turbo's, especially with a tune. Not to mention cooler AIT's with less heat soak and timing retard (for your engine).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
I respect your opinion, but honestly i have to disagree. I've had the JB3 for a long time and never had an issue with smoothness nor pulling timing. In fact I've loved every single version that came out of the JB3, each was somehow an improvement over the other even when I thought each time that it was perfect. But like you said, if you're going to run an aggressive map that your car cant handle you have to expect those issues. And honestly, not saying this in defense of the JB3 but I've never seen a Procede at the track that i go to (New england Dragway) that doesnt keep limping or the driver keeps complaining about an issue or even some say they were just spinning when you can obviously tell its a made up excuse cus he had a nice launch but something just went wrong half way through, which tells me a lot about the tune itself and its safety parameters

But in all fairness I have to admit, the new V3 Rev II is a huge improvement (atleast from reviews and friends opinions), I've heard a lot of +ve things about it, unlike the older versions which most of the times you'd hear -ve things about it more than the +ve.

I think there are risks with either tune and if you run the correct map and drive like a normal human being by not beating the hell of your car 24/7 on high boost maps, you wont be complaining about limp modes or even reliability issues
cool

everyone has had different experiences, especially if you have been around awhile.

good thing the market is bringing more and more viable options

oh, and with the track comment, I have had the exact opposite experience....my procede tunes have always worked well while others I have seen running other tunes have had worse experiences. Maybe the v1/v2/v3 just like MIR where I used to run my car, maybe it was just my car, maybe it was just my stellar driving (wishful thinking), who knows.

one thing you have to keep in mind is that these cars have proven to be pretty finicky IMO....fuel pump dying, wastegates, sensors acting up, boost leaks, vacuum leaks, bad gas, hot air, heat soaking, forgot to take your morning crap, etc.....all make the cars act bad regardless of tune. So when you see a 335 acting weird, dont always assume it was the tune.
      05-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
If you want a little extra kick but not too extreme, why not just get the SSTT. I personally think this is the "safest" since it only runs 12psi of boost and still utilizes the stock ECU to do the tuning. [...]
It's all in how you look at it.

I see the SSTT and JB+ as a "change one factor and neglect to properly adjust the others to match" kind of solution.

IMHO an "everything in moderation" approach seems safer to me... like running a stage 1 map with JB/V3.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
beshaw81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
It's all in how you look at it.

I see the SSTT and JB+ as a "change one factor and neglect to properly adjust the others to match" kind of solution.

IMHO an "everything in moderation" approach seems safer to me... like running a stage 1 map with JB/V3.

-scheherazade
That's exactly what I want to avoid. Something that changes one factor just to create more PSI.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
cool

everyone has had different experiences, especially if you have been around awhile.

good thing the market is bringing more and more viable options

oh, and with the track comment, I have had the exact opposite experience....my procede tunes have always worked well while others I have seen running other tunes have had worse experiences. Maybe the v1/v2/v3 just like MIR where I used to run my car, maybe it was just my car, maybe it was just my stellar driving (wishful thinking), who knows.

one thing you have to keep in mind is that these cars have proven to be pretty finicky IMO....fuel pump dying, wastegates, sensors acting up, boost leaks, vacuum leaks, bad gas, hot air, heat soaking, forgot to take your morning crap, etc.....all make the cars act bad regardless of tune. So when you see a 335 acting weird, dont always assume it was the tune.
agree and honestly like u said everyone of us has different opinions and different tastes, but if i were to be honest, if i was a new person to the n54 tuning RIGHT NOW i wouldnt know which tune to choose (JB3 or Procede V3 Rev II) as both have showed great results. the only reason i would probably go with the jb3 is because its obviously significantly cheaper and i dont think anyone can deny Terry's awesome customer support.

and maybe because i just dont like Shiv's attitude and business strategies lol
(now i dont want everyone to go crazy over my comment it just meant to be a joke)
Appreciate 0