E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Every buy a CPO that was in a accident??

05-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Every buy a CPO that was in a accident??

Well my mom did. She was in a rush to get one because of the 0.9% financing deal back during December of '08. They gave her a really good deal since i just signed the papers for car that day, they knocked $5000 off her price. I dint notice anything wrong at the time but when you get all excited about buying a CPO from BMW you really don't second guess them b/c of BMW and the dealers reputation.

Any way when my mom got the car she brought it to our mechanic to show him and thats when he said it was hit from the side and the two doors were replaced, brought it to our uncle who has a body shop and said it was in a accident as well. And you can see that its in was in a accident, that the 2 passenger side doors were horribly redone and horribly buffed out. But he air bags went off and the struts were f-ed up as well, her horn wouldn't work on the left side and when the she brought it to the local BMW dealer they said the airbag was blocking the connection to the horn!

We got out cars from Pace BMW, in Westchester County, NY, and we live on Long Island and get them serviced at the local dealer here. Now aren't CPO's suppose to be clean of any accidents to be a CPO? Anything you think she could do, she already called our salesman who sold the car and asked about it being in a accident, but she didn't get to deep in to it. I told her to really make a big fuss about it, due to the airbags going off and maybe not re-installed correctly and it being considered a CPO with 2 horribly redone doors!!

Cant trust BMW dealers either now! So always double check!
      05-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

This is scandalous.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

if its in accident, it can't be cpo'd. Thats a criteria for cpo.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
sbux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i 06

did u check the car fax? accident could still be CPOed if it didnt involve structural damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

I have purchased 2 CPO cars that were in accidents. One I never had any complaints about, I knew the roof and hood were painted. The second one had a quarter panel painted and the job was poorly done. I noticed it after I got the car in the sun (it was raining when I picked it up). When I brought it back the dealer gave me a loaner and redid the work to the standard is should have been. Very happy and satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

I don't want to make you feel any worse that you already feel... But it drives me crazy when I see people blind foldedly believing/trusting BMW dealers. We already know how crapy BMWNA is. But BMW dealers are much worse. They are priviatly owned and they fool people by taking advantage of naive people by using BMW name. They are no different than any other used car dealers.

So if you don't get anything from the dealer that sold you the damaged car, call BMWNA and report it. Tell them you were not told anything about the accident. Although BMWNA is not the best thing in the world I think you will be able to get something out of it (maybe some money back or credit for service or future purchases). But don't give up fighting. There is nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
that sucks man... could be the car was in an accident but never reported so it never showed up on a carfax. all the damages were paid out of pocket?

either way, its true about bmw dealers. they're not much different from any other dealer. salesmen are great but once you've signed papers, most service advisors are d-bags. to be honest, my experience has been the same with vw and chrysler. the only dealer i've ever had good experience was with lexus (and that's for 3 diff lexus dealers in the tri-state area).
      05-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Yea i told my mom to bring it back up to the dealer to have it done but she doesn't wanna bring it up to Pace BMW to have it done(guess going through the tolls, idk) but our uncle is gunna buff it out for her. But its more of the airbags im worried about since the one in the steering wheel wasn't put back in properly(due to the horn malfunction) and just worried about the side airbags. BMWNA was already notified of the problem. But imma still stress it to her to drop it off at Pace to get her car looked over again or get something from done as a courtesy. The dealers at Osyter Bay and Rallye have been super nice to her with hooking her up with replacements for interior imperfections that aren't under warranty.
      05-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
If I'm not mistaken BMW "can" still CPO a car that has been involved in an accident (I belive it can't have more than 3 body panels replaced) or that's Lexus's CPO? Then it is that the car can be repainted "but no panels to be replaced". It's either or I'm almost certain if that makes any sense
      05-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
so i don't get it.... you two walked into the BMW dealership and picked up the very first *USED* car you liked without checking carfax? FAIL.
      05-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
so i don't get it.... you two walked into the BMW dealership and picked up the very first *USED* car you liked without checking carfax? FAIL.
Carfax is "never" 100% accurate btw
      05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

it's not absolute, but whatever is on there can be condemning.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
I carfaxed mine, n it came up clean. But yea carfax isn't always 100%. The car i had before my 330, i rear ended someone and fixed the whole front, cash, so who ever carfax's my old car it would come up clean.
      05-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
TaTaToothy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i and 2002 M3

My CPO car had been in a fender-bender - one fender was replaced - but Carfax showed nothing, and the car exhibits no mechanical damage of any kind.

2002 M3 - 6MT - Jet Black over black leather - Xenon, power seats and H/K - no sunroof
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Yes.
      05-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

2 points here:

1. Despite what a sales associate may tell you, the BMW CPO process doesn't guarantee that a car doesn't have previous body damage, that it hasn't been abused, or that it's had any minimum level of good care. Yes, there are guidelines about what cars can be CPOd, but the reality is that these cars are often former service loaners or cars that came from wholesale auctions. CPO cars don't necessarily have any better "pedigree" than those sold outside of the BMW dealer channels.

There are 2 things that have value with a CPO car, the reconditioning process and the warranty. And the value of those often depends on the selling dealer. This board and others are littered with stories of folks that bought CPO cars with problems that should have been resolved before the car was sold, but weren't. The reality is that less reputable BMW dealers can and do get away with not adhering to the recon guidelines because they usually don't get called out, and if they do there aren't any penalties of substance for doing so.

2. In most cases, prior accident damage doesn't show up in a Carfax report, nor does Carfax guarantee that it will. A clean Carfax is absolutely no indicator that a car has a clean bill of health and should never be treated as such. Google is your friend here.

Sorry to hear about this situation OP, hope things get worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
sbux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i 06

Carfax is useful for you to screen what NOT to get, instead of what to get....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post

2. In most cases, prior accident damage doesn't show up in a Carfax report, nor does Carfax guarantee that it will. A clean Carfax is absolutely no indicator that a car has a clean bill of health and should never be treated as such. Google is your friend here.
Agreed, Carfax only shows reported issues and the vast majority of accidents are not reported to DMV. Good bodywork is not anything to be worried about, structural damage is different, but simple bumper or fender work is not uncommon, we are dealing with cars that are several years old and things happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I know mine was in 2 small minor incidents according to the carfax and it had the bumper in the front repainted.

I need to post a side view pic/s to see if the fender on the drivers side front is misaligned though, since you can feel the corner of the headlight and my gap between the door and fender is off some.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
my CPO had an accident on the carfax report. iirc they cannot CPO the car if there has been frame damage which can happen in accidents at 5mph. you have to have someone who knows check it out or at least use common sense.

check the lines/gaps, look for signs of filled body panels, shoddy workmanship etc.

OP it sounds like your mom's car has been through a serious collision and should not have been CPO'd
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I never realized it, and it wasn't on the carfax, but when I took my car in to get repainted my bodyshop guy told me the front right corner of my car had deffinately been hit before and mine was CPO'd so you never know...

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
lamasheen
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 '13 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
2 points here:

1. Despite what a sales associate may tell you, the BMW CPO process doesn't guarantee that a car doesn't have previous body damage, that it hasn't been abused, or that it's had any minimum level of good care. Yes, there are guidelines about what cars can be CPOd, but the reality is that these cars are often former service loaners or cars that came from wholesale auctions. CPO cars don't necessarily have any better "pedigree" than those sold outside of the BMW dealer channels.

There are 2 things that have value with a CPO car, the reconditioning process and the warranty. And the value of those often depends on the selling dealer. This board and others are littered with stories of folks that bought CPO cars with problems that should have been resolved before the car was sold, but weren't. The reality is that less reputable BMW dealers can and do get away with not adhering to the recon guidelines because they usually don't get called out, and if they do there aren't any penalties of substance for doing so.

Sorry to hear about this situation OP, hope things get worked out.

Angry3 guy is right on the money!!! BMW CPO process only requires examining the CARFAX and if it is clean, good to go. It could have been in multiple accidents, repainted, etc. It could have even been fixed at a BMW shop and if doesn't show up on Carfax, they can CPO it. The whole process is very subjective and very deceptive. They need the clean carfax so they can waive in front of your face, and say "see, clean carfax".

BMW NA will not help you. You have to hire a lawyer and take them to court. Proof is on the burden of the buyer. They will not penalize the dealers who sell and service their cars, why would they. Angry 3 = smart guy. I wish I had his car.
Appreciate 0