BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Sneaky unmarked cop/state trooper/highway patrol cars in your area?

05-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Sneaky unmarked cop/state trooper/highway patrol cars in your area?

Just curious what random sneaky unmarked cars you have in your state/city/area.

In Alabama, our state troopers now have a decent sized fleet of unmarked silver Infiniti G35 sedans ('05 or '06 models) that completely catch you off guard! It's now common to see people pulled over on the interstates and highways by completely normal looking G35s, but with flashing blue lights coming out of the grille and lower part of the rear window! Any other states now using luxury-sport sedans to throw off speeders? I bet they are great for them to have if high speed chases ever arise! I know to look out for them now....

State troopers also have been recently driving around in blacked out unmarked Dodge Chargers (black with dark tinted windows to hide the bars of blue lights behind the windows), but those are at least a little easier to anticipate (like the unmarked Durangos, Expeditions, and Tahoes they love as well). The Crown Vic is certainly becoming a dying breed here!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

Guess I can't say much about other states, but I see at least 3 unmarked troopers every day on Hwy 43 near the new Steel plant they are building north of Mnt. Vernon. I wonder what it says about our state that the first two posts are coming from here =(
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjzRide View Post
Guess I can't say much about other states, but I see at least 3 unmarked troopers every day on Hwy 43 near the new Steel plant they are building north of Mnt. Vernon. I wonder what it says about our state that the first two posts are coming from here =(
Haha, I was JUST on Hwy 43 coming down to Mobile from Tuscaloosa today to visit my family, and saw a few unmarked blacked-out Chargers on the way. That is kind of what sparked me creating this thread. They don't even always have the blue tags anymore that made them a dead giveaway! Used to be that Alabama had a mini-Autobahn system because state troopers were understaffed so anyone could just drive however you wanted. Now they are swarming like flies, I guess they got some more funding/troopers recently......
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
Just curious what random sneaky unmarked cars you have in your state/city/area.

In Alabama, our state troopers now have a decent sized fleet of unmarked silver Infiniti G35 sedans ('05 or '06 models) that completely catch you off guard! It's now common to see people pulled over on the interstates and highways by completely normal looking G35s, but with flashing blue lights coming out of the grille and lower part of the rear window! Any other states now using luxury-sport sedans to throw off speeders? I bet they are great for them to have if high speed chases ever arise! I know to look out for them now....

State troopers also have been recently driving around in blacked out unmarked Dodge Chargers (black with dark tinted windows to hide the bars of blue lights behind the windows), but those are at least a little easier to anticipate (like the unmarked Durangos, Expeditions, and Tahoes they love as well). The Crown Vic is certainly becoming a dying breed here!
Nice to see the government supporting the American economy.

This logic is hideously stupid, buy unmarked cars so that you can get more tickets to pay for the cars. Hmm, lets see, average ticket is $200, and im guessing the G35's are around $30,000, so to pay for each and every single one of those cars the cop has to give out 150 tickets each. Assuming that a decent sized fleet means 6-7, thats 900-1050 tickets just to cover the whole cost.

Something tells me that 1,000 tickets is a little extreme for a year, but I dunno for sure.
      05-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
bernjee82
cibai kia!
United_States
Rep
Drives: el coche

most of the cars they use are seized cars
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Not unmarked, but definitely sneaky.

During my commute, I always pass by a few cops near south Jersey and they always look kind of suspicious. They're always just parked there. If you drive close, you realize they're inflatable cop dolls inside the cars

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

How about ordinary everyday pickup trucks?

In my area the officers are compensated for using personal vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I saw a plain looking bronze ford taurus pull someone over in socal. I haven't done any speeding on the 210 since.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Just unmarked Vics and Chargers of varying colors here, and the occasional blacked out Expedition. They still bury themselves under bridges, in the woods, and in the median though - doesn't really matter what they're driving at that point.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

chics and vargers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Phil G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
Nice to see the government supporting the American economy.

This logic is hideously stupid, buy unmarked cars so that you can get more tickets to pay for the cars. Hmm, lets see, average ticket is $200, and im guessing the G35's are around $30,000, so to pay for each and every single one of those cars the cop has to give out 150 tickets each. Assuming that a decent sized fleet means 6-7, thats 900-1050 tickets just to cover the whole cost.

Something tells me that 1,000 tickets is a little extreme for a year, but I dunno for sure.
It is funny how government logic works, isn't it? My guess is that the Alabama Department of Safety (which oversees the troopers), is trying to scare people from speeding because the G35 is such a non-conventional patrol car. Speeding is VERY rampant in Alabama, and troopers have been setting up many recent "Taking Back Our Highway" programs where troopers crowd highways with zero-tolerance policies to crack down on speeders. However I'm seeing two problems with this logic:

1. Eventually word will get around to keep on the lookout for these G35s. They are effective now, but their cover will eventually be blown as people learn to look for them, so why do this to begin with?

2. If they want to use the "surprise factor", why use a $30,000+ luxury sedan?! There are PLENTY of other more cost-effective foreign options out there that would have the "surprise factor" and could be close to as quick in a high speed chase as a 1st generation G35. Maybe stripped down V6 Accord, Subaru WRX?

Now I'm not a believer in the effectiveness of Keynesian economics (the government dumping huge amounts of money into the economy in aid), but it does seem like there are plenty of other better things our government could be spending our money on.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
It is funny how government logic works, isn't it? My guess is that the Alabama Department of Safety (which oversees the troopers), is trying to scare people from speeding because the G35 is such a non-conventional patrol car. Speeding is VERY rampant in Alabama, and troopers have been setting up many recent "Taking Back Our Highway" programs where troopers crowd highways with zero-tolerance policies to crack down on speeders. However I'm seeing two problems with this logic:

1. Eventually word will get around to keep on the lookout for these G35s. They are effective now, but their cover will eventually be blown as people learn to look for them, so why do this to begin with?

2. If they want to use the "surprise factor", why use a $30,000+ luxury sedan?! There are PLENTY of other more cost-effective foreign options out there that would have the "surprise factor" and could be close to as quick in a high speed chase as a 1st generation G35. Maybe stripped down V6 Accord, Subaru WRX?

Now I'm not a believer in the effectiveness of Keynesian economics (the government dumping huge amounts of money into the economy in aid), but it does seem like there are plenty of other better things our government could be spending our money on.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Except substitute the stripped down V6 Accord or Subaru WRX with a Pontiac G8 or other huge engined American car (not exactly hard to find, are they?).
      05-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

here in new york , nypd uses yellow cabs disguised as undercover cars but very few
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronushi View Post
here in new york , nypd uses yellow cabs disguised as undercover cars but very few
that's so fuckin shady.

SMH.

It really is sad to see some of the stuff they resort to.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #15
themonotron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 AW

A little off topic, but cops around here like stalking cars at night with their headlights off. Back in high school, my group of friends used to hang out on this hill overlooking the city. Every once in a while cops would attempt to sneak up on us smoking, however, what they do not know is, when they turn off the front headlights, the fucking DRLs are still on and you can see them a mile away. Needless to say, they've never caught anyone doing anything by resorting to being sneaky. Noobs.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #16
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Phil, did you guys take 20/59 down to 43 yesterday? If so, you drove right by me. That is, if your vehicle is the on in you avatar. Good to finally see a local-ish poster.

Oh, and pretty much anything you see on the road other than a CVPI, Charger, Tahoe or Durango is a seized vehicle. We've got a few in our fleet right now. We would normally just send them to auction but they've been altered with compartments that make it more of a pain than is affordable to sell it to Joe Public. In Tuscaloosa, you'll see some Merc SUVs around. They are part of a high mileage test program MB does with various government and non-profit agencies in the area. With the current state of the auto industry, I'd think we'd see them die off sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I saw a mid 1990's Ford Expedition pull someone over in Tampa. It was just driving along in front of us then the whole thing lit up red and blue.
      05-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #18
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

In nassau county, recently ive seen a few TAXI Crown Vic Cop Cars..
and in south shore suburbs, im not even talking about BK and queens..
thats out of hand..

The car is completly white, (no taxi advertisements on the paint)
and one of these:
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  3.2 KB

flashing lights are behind its tinted window and grilles..
This might take the cake for sneaky..

p.s. fuck the police
      05-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

ive seen a lot of old ford pick ups recently with walen strobes. the unmarked impala, crown vic,charger are everywhere.

ive seen some mustangs and cameros. but those were highway patrol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #20
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
ugh might as well just put cop lights in our car and pull them over!

fuck the police.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

just for everyones knoledge..

NYC police taxi's are the only Cop's that actually have "stickers" on their car.. as they take an actual taxi and simply install their equipment into the car the way it is..

Any other undercover car cannot have bumper stickers, those taxi reflectors on the trunk, any sort of fake advertisement on the paint or windows..

this helps sort out the Livery vehicles who look like undercovers but may have a little something to give them away
      05-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #22
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

The thing about these unmarked cars is now any physco can pretend to be cop, buy some lights and pull over some random unsuspecting person and then who knows....

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0