E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need help - swapped CDV and I can't drive my car!

05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Need help - swapped CDV and I can't drive my car!

Hey guys! I'm posting here as this section gets more views and I really need your help: my clutch is dead as it barely has any pressure, so I can't drive the car!

I want to give you all details in case I missed something, so here is the background. Last week I did a CDV swap on my E92, and eventually I got the car drivable. I thought it was ok, but perhaps the clutch was somewhat less tight. Well today I wanted to bleed the clutch again as I thought I may not have taken all the air out of the system the first time around. I went and bought a 12 oz bottle of Valvoline break fluid DOT4 and poured about 1/2 of it in my Bavarian Auto bleeder kit. I then connected it to the clutch reservoir and pressurized the system to 20 psi.

Next I went under the car and released the bleeder valve screw. I did not see any air bubbles coming out, only air and perhaps I heard air pressure being released. I let this go for a couple of seconds and tighten the bleeder valve back up. Next I went back up and saw that the bleeder pressure was now ~ 10 psi; I then depressurized the bleeder kit and put the cap back on the reservoir. Btw, the car is on jack stands and the reservoir (albeit is not level) seems to have about 3/4 of break fluid in it.

Finally I went to the clutch and pushed it with my hand: it's 1,000 times worse than when I started: I pushed it in and while it comes back, it barely has any pressure.

Can you guys suggest what I did wrong??? I really appreciate your help!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 05-30-2009 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I'd suggest calling your dealership and setting up a tow so that a certified BMW technician can fix it. Not like it's going to cost you anything, you're still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I dont know if that would be covered under warranty. If they see you screwed shit up, they wont cover it. Either way I dont think you have many other options. Bring it in and plead the fifth. Say you dont know wtf happened and that bolt must have been loose from the factory because theres fluid all over your floor. Make sure you dont leave any evidence.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
If they notice the CDV swap, they won't cover it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys for your replies! I finally got the car back onto the road!

It turned out the system had a lot of air . My problem was that I did not keep the bleeder kit pressure constant. If you keep draining the clutch liquid thru the bleeder valve, eventually the pressure will lower, evidently. So I did it in sequential steps, as outlined below:

1. raise the car and put it on jack stands. NEVER work under the car while being suspended only by the floor jack. It's always prudent to have a double safety system. I felt more comfortable driving the car up on the rhino ramps, raise the car with a solid floor jack, put it on the jack stands, but still left the ramps in place, just in case. Make sure you WAIT A WHILE till car cools off, the clutch fluid will burn you.
2. fill the bleeder kit bottle with one 12 oz DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid bottle
3. connect the bleeder kit bottle to the clutch reservoir and tighten the cap; connect the plastic tube between the two
4. pump the bleeder pressure to 20 psi
5. I assume here that you already took off the underpanel, located the bleeder valve and took off the rubber nipple cap. Now loosen the bleeder valve screw with an open ended 7/16" wrench. Connect a catch bottle to the end of the bleeder valve (or something with a plastic clear tube so you can see the fluid and bubbles coming out). Drain for approximately 5-7 seconds. Close the bleeder screw.
6. check the bleeder bottle pressure, and if it lowered below 20 psi, raise it again
7. check clutch, probably it's still mush, go under and drain some more, say for a few seconds more. When I say drain, just open the valve ever so slightly that fluid comes out, but not gushing out. Remember, the system is pressurized. Make sure you keep the clutch in the closed position (i.e. up, lift the clutch by hand if it doesn't want to come up by itself)
8. repeat steps 3-7 until the clutch fluid is pretty much air free. What I noticed is that at the end, the stream was nice and solid, but I still had tiny small air bubbles in the fluid, albeit barely perceptible.

Hope this helps someone who happens in a similar position!

Thanks for the responses though, but I'm really happy I don't have to call the dealership and have it towed there...

The car drives smoother now, no more jerky 1-2 shifts. I was able to even chirp the tires in 2nd...my first time! Couldn't do that before the CDV swap.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

i think its funny when people screw with there car...screw something up...and all you people on here say "oh bring it to the dealership-tell them something is wrong with the car-idk what happened! it will be free to be fixed!"...cheap bastards...at least own up to your mistakes...

to the OP-glad you got your car fixed...CDVs are stupid...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
i think its funny when people screw with there car...screw something up...and all you people on here say "oh bring it to the dealership-tell them something is wrong with the car-idk what happened! it will be free to be fixed!"...cheap bastards...at least own up to your mistakes...

I totally agree, the OP should take satisfaction in knowing he solved the problem on his own. You can't buy that feeling with $$$$.

You constantly get that bad advice on this forum, just take it to the dealer and plead the 5th. That must come as the result of watching too much television and playing video games.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I totally agree, the OP should take satisfaction in knowing he solved the problem on his own. You can't buy that feeling with $$$$.
+1, and then some.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Good job on fixing it yourself.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
This is exactly why warranties get voided, the dealerships are not out to get you, they will try to help you out when you can, however when they find that YOU WERE MESSING WITH SOMETHING, It does not make them very happy...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

hm, rather than doing all that, i think all you had to do was bleed the clutch by pumping it a bit until your clutch doesnt sink to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post
hm, rather than doing all that, i think all you had to do was bleed the clutch by pumping it a bit until your clutch doesnt sink to the floor.
I don't think that would work, by pumping the clutch by hand all you're doing is internally cycling the air. You never let the air out because it has nowhere to go, system is closed. Once you have air in your system, the only way to let it out is to bleed it...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
Good job on fixing it yourself.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Absolutely, it always feels awesome when you get something done by yourself! After all, this is a learning process...it's always something stupid that you forget to do, but anywho, I just needed to bounce off some ideas off this forum!

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
This is exactly why warranties get voided, the dealerships are not out to get you, they will try to help you out when you can, however when they find that YOU WERE MESSING WITH SOMETHING, It does not make them very happy...

haha trust me i know, im a tech, ive had quite a few cars come with customer mods that either dont work at all, dont work right, or they fried call kinds of stuff in the process(for example a remote starter install gone bad on an e90 328i haha)
Appreciate 0