E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan tune still warrantied?

05-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Dinan tune still warrantied?

Or does it void the warranty?

Last edited by Cars are the new horse; 02-09-2022 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

get JB plus if you want something easy, if you want insurance, get the BT cable.
Both are very easy to setup and use. You will get similar performance to DINAN at a fraction of the cost. There is a GB on the JB+ and the BT cable right now from mike@n54tuning.com, check the sponsor area
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

My dealership dropped Dinan over a year ago. I can't even get Dinan stuff there, and if I did somewhere else I don't know how that would work out. If you plan to track/race your car and/or you want to use anything besides Dinan (like I dunno AE exhaust or a DCI) then they will also grief you for that. Just make sure if you go Dinan then you go ALL Dinan and don't get caught racing. Basically, get it for the looks I guess? It does seem like a pretty good tune overall for longevity and reliability.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
That seems like it's really complicated...I'd rather not deal with taking stuff off/putting it on, etc. That's why the Dinan tune appeals to me...sure it's costly, but it's also very simple.
Do whatever you like. If you think that Dinan tune is worth $2k. Then go for it. Enjoy your tune. I'm from Houston too. Hope to see u around.
      05-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Hey, I have the Dinan Stage II tune, and I really haven't had any problems with it.....

I got it because I'm 31, a professional, and wanted some more power, but don't care if I have THE fastest rocket on the road....I enjoy my car a hell of a lot...

I have taken my car to the dealer multiple times, for small things, mostly stuff that was already "wrong" with the car when I bought it (used), ie. valve cover gasket leak....had it fixed, no problem, no questions asked....

I just went to the dealer last thursday, and again, no issues.....

So as of right now, no problem....if they were to go bankrupt, well I suppose then the warranty wouldn't be honoured, unless whoever's taking it over decides to honour it.....but as of right now, I have had NO problems getting stuff done through warranty, and I LOVE having that peace of mind......

Hope this helps!
      05-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
Hey, I have the Dinan Stage II tune, and I really haven't had any problems with it.....

...wanted some more power, but don't care if I have THE fastest rocket on the road....I enjoy my car a hell of a lot...

...have had NO problems getting stuff done through warranty, and I LOVE having that peace of mind.
Same here.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That seems like it's really complicated...I'd rather not deal with taking stuff off/putting it on, etc. That's why the Dinan tune appeals to me...sure it's costly, but it's also very simple.
well if that's complicated, then ok, feel free to pay a ridiculous amount for Dinan and get questionable results and non-guaranteed warranty coverage
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I got it because I'm 31, a professional, and wanted some more power, but don't care if I have THE fastest rocket on the road....I enjoy my car a hell of a lot...
LOL, a professional? ok, well I will melt down my iron ring because I have a JB3.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

LOL, I guess I will keep my iron ring cause I have Dinan.

To the OP, I also have not once had a problem with my Dinan. The reason I got it was the same as others, for peace of mind. I know I don't have the fastest 3, but I'm fine for now until I get an M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

not bashing Dinan, sorry didn't mean to come across that way, I was just reading the "loss of power thread" and formed a personal opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are there any shops that would do this for me without the need for BMW to know?
yeah, there should be people who can help you out that are locally, or shops, check out the local forums.

But before that, you should read up about all of the options that are available, and pick the one best for you given your circumstances, weather its Dinan or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #12
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

I didn't read what you wrote as bashing...it was funny though.

Hell, if I had a JB3 I'd still keep my ring.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #13
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
LOL, a professional? ok, well I will melt down my iron ring because I have a JB3.

OK Turkish.....I don't know how you read that, but all I meant by "professional", is that in my line of work, I have little time to spare having to worry about, much less actually physically having to remove and reinstall hardware onto my car. If something is wrong with it, I like to be able to take it to my dealer straight away and have it resolved, rather than be thinking "man, I hope some code didn't get thrown because of my mods" whilst at work, where there are MUCH more important things at hand that require my undivided attention.....that's all....and I am not that technically/mechanically inclined.....and I wasn't trying to say that ppl running other tunes were "not professionals"....

And it's ok if you're a "Dinan-basher"........It's simply a matter of circumstances and perspective for an individual; one person may value a particular aspect of something, and someone else the complete opposite.

Anyways, the OP seems to be someone who seemed similar in thinking to me, and I thought his concerns, though valid, may be a bit jaded by what he may have read here on the forum, because although there is a great wealth of useful info on here, you'll also find many complaints here. And although those complaints might be legitimate, the number of errors or issues with our cars that are posted about are probably not indicative of ALL or even the majority of cars out there. ie. I'm sure that 80% of HPFPs are probably running fine on the 335's out there, but if you read the forum often, you'd think that 80% aren't.....

Anyways, I didn't write this to "fight back", I really just wanted to clarify, because it's obvious that I wasn't all that clear in my last post. No hard feelings dude . Also, didn't mean to hijack, sorry OP, I just didn't want anyone to misinterpret what I meant.....

For me, I'm very happy with the Dinan tune, and the warranty has been awesome, and the peace of mind that comes along with it.....Just do yourself a favour and do SOME kind of performance tune/piggyback/pnp.....Stock is awesome, but modded is unbelievable (and this is coming from someone who always had stock cars)
      06-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #14
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OK Turkish.....I don't know how you read that, but all I meant by "professional", is that in my line of work, I have little time to spare having to worry about, much less actually physically having to remove and reinstall hardware onto my car. If something is wrong with it, I like to be able to take it to my dealer straight away and have it resolved, rather than be thinking "man, I hope some code didn't get thrown because of my mods" whilst at work, where there are MUCH more important things at hand that require my undivided attention.....that's all....and I am not that technically/mechanically inclined.....and I wasn't trying to say that ppl running other tunes were "not professionals"....

And it's ok if you're a "Dinan-basher"........It's simply a matter of circumstances and perspective for an individual; one person may value a particular aspect of something, and someone else the complete opposite.

Anyways, the OP seems to be someone who seemed similar in thinking to me, and I thought his concerns, though valid, may be a bit jaded by what he may have read here on the forum, because although there is a great wealth of useful info on here, you'll also find many complaints here. And although those complaints might be legitimate, the number of errors or issues with our cars that are posted about are probably not indicative of ALL or even the majority of cars out there. ie. I'm sure that 80% of HPFPs are probably running fine on the 335's out there, but if you read the forum often, you'd think that 80% aren't.....

Anyways, I didn't write this to "fight back", I really just wanted to clarify, because it's obvious that I wasn't all that clear in my last post. No hard feelings dude . Also, didn't mean to hijack, sorry OP, I just didn't want anyone to misinterpret what I meant.....

For me, I'm very happy with the Dinan tune, and the warranty has been awesome, and the peace of mind that comes along with it.....Just do yourself a favour and do SOME kind of performance tune/piggyback/pnp.....Stock is awesome, but modded is unbelievable (and this is coming from someone who always had stock cars)
I should have put a sarcastic smiley mark in my post, I was just messing around LOL!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #15
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
My concern is that the search revealed that Dinan is having financial difficulties and just got bought out. My understanding is that if Dinan goes bankrupt, it will not have to honor warranties
Can you point to the source of this?

The information I know about is that they were being bought out by a capital corporation with aims of listing on a venture stock exchange. The following snip about it hardly smacks of a company about to go tits up.

Quote:
Dinan, a private company located in Morgan Hill, California, USA, was founded in 1979. Dinan's software division develops performance enhancing software for BMW engine management and other control systems, as well as the tools necessary for BMW dealers to efficiently install the software. In addition, the company designs, manufactures and markets an extensive line of high performance products and systems for cars manufactured by BMW. Unique to Dinan, through a 10 year relationship with BMW North America, Dinan products carry an identical warranty to that offered by BMW North America. Dinan products are distributed through a North American network of 143 authorized Dinan BMW performance centers, offering professional sales, installation and after sales support.

Dinan has been featured in over 70 road tests and 11 cover stories in the automotive press. For more detailed information about Dinan, see: www.dinancars.com/bmw/press.

According to unaudited management prepared financial statements for the nine months ended September 30, 2008, Dinan had gross revenue of $10,362,089, an increase of 46.5% over the nine months ended September 30, 2007, while maintaining gross margin of 69%. For the same period, EBITDA increased from ($129,323) to $1,011,952.
Further Steve Breen of Dinan recently posted that Dinan have done 1200 flashes of the 335 and 135. Reputedly, they put $500 aside for warranty claims from the sale of every unit. That would give them a fund of about $600,000 for warranty claims, assuming they've kept it separate from their operations.

I still think Dinan is the way to if you are interested in a longer term relationship with your car, wish to have a warranty-backed tune, are not to excited about playing a catch-me-if-you-can game with your dealer, and like balanced acceptable performance.

I am extremely happy with my tune and have had no issues with it.
      06-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
i got dinan stage II no problems with power or getting things covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #17
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I was going to get Dinan when I first bought my car, but I just couldn't justify the $2000. However, I was almost willing to bite the bullet and I asked my dealer about it and they dropped Dinan (back in early 2008) so I can't get it anyway... atleast not there. It is the only dealer in my area, and I just don't want to deal with problems from them since they are no longer associated. I think SSTT or JB+ are my only 2 options right now since they can be installed/removed so quickly. I have had to have my car towed to the dealer from a parking lot over an hour away from home. There is no way I could have removed DP's, swapped out my intake, or probably even removed a piggy from inside the ECU. I may add FMIC, exhaust, and DCI under warranty as well but that is all. I don't think those would be a problem for my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
That would give them a fund of about $600,000 for warranty claims..
Ding that fund for ~$10k-$12k.
      06-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
It was in some random thread on this forum...I've done so many searches, I couldn't begin to tell you where it was.

This and that article you posted make me feel much better about it, as it seems to be pretty profitable (which is very different from the "Dinan is in the red" posts I read a few days ago). Still it is a bit nerveracking when companies get bought and sold.

As far as for the $600,000 they have set aside for warranties, that's great and all, but if the company were to file bankruptcy, that cash would go to entities their creditors.

Thanks for the info...I feel a little better now.
I agree, unless they set up some sort of segregated trust fund, the warranty slush fund would be available to their creditors in the event of bankruptcy nor would anything prevent them from accessing it for general operations if cash was tight.

Also the sales figures quoted above were posted before the Great Recession. Aftermarket part companies are probably not doing much better than the auto industry in general. But then you shouldn't buy anything because everyone is going bankrupt.

Meanwhile, Dinan have a flash out now for the new M3, more models using the N54 engine, and a CAI that is just about to be released for the 335.
      06-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Evolve UK are a reputable tuning company that have a tune for the 335i taking power to around 380whp. They are will soon be offering a 'switchable box' that will enable you to switch between stock and the upgraded power in minutes. It is as simple as plug in, select stock and unplug- no trace. Currently it is only available for diesels but will soon be available for 335i.

Heres a link to the 'Switchable unit; thread :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=evolve
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Evolve UK are a reputable tuning company that have a tune for the 335i taking power to around 380whp. They are will soon be offering a 'switchable box' that will enable you to switch between stock and the upgraded power in minutes. It is as simple as plug in, select stock and unplug- no trace. Currently it is only available for diesels but will soon be available for 335i.

Heres a link to the 'Switchable unit; thread :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=evolve
Now thats what im talkin about!
Appreciate 0