E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan users---Who's running rich?

06-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Dinan users---Who's running rich?

For those of you with the flash, are you running rich? How's the smell at idle?
      06-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

as mr Hanky would say... "it smells like roses"

while i havent sniffed the exhaust upon startup I dont get any blow back into cabin that smells irregular.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

I always ran rich... you can search my dynos and you see that it always ran a lot richer than stock (and dropped MPG by about 1.5). I actually liked the extra safety though I think direct injection can do without it. Not sure how it would affect potential carbo buildup issues...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
it smells different than when it was stock, but its not over powering or smelling rich at all
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
as mr Hanky would say... "it smells like roses"

while i havent sniffed the exhaust upon startup I dont get any blow back into cabin that smells irregular.

ppp
You'll notice it more at idle in a space like a garage. You'll also notice it on your back bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
I always ran rich... you can search my dynos and you see that it always ran a lot richer than stock (and dropped MPG by about 1.5). I actually liked the extra safety though I think direct injection can do without it. Not sure how it would affect potential carbo buildup issues...
That's right, I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
it smells different than when it was stock, but its not over powering or smelling rich at all
Ok.

That may be what happens when you base your US flash on 95 RON Fuel only available in Europe. This stuff bothers me.
      06-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Not to go OT, but anything from Orb? Any news at all? I am curious even though I made my decision not to get flashed again. Bubbles can you elaborate how 95Ron into this? is it better than our 93, the same or worse? I know I put 95 and mostly 98 when I was in Europe 2yrs ago. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference. I figured it was probably because car was new to me, but what do I know?
      06-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Not to go OT, but anything from Orb? Any news at all? I am curious even though I made my decision not to get flashed again. Bubbles can you elaborate how 95Ron into this? is it better than our 93, the same or worse? I know I put 95 and mostly 98 when I was in Europe 2yrs ago. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference. I figured it was probably because car was new to me, but what do I know?

The Dinan Flash is optimized for euro octane fuel, that is why it comes alive and runs leaner when running 98+ octane. The map is not optimized for 93 or 91 Oct, period.
      06-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
That may be what happens when you base your US flash on 95 RON Fuel only available in Europe. This stuff bothers me.
Wikipedia is your friend.

Quote:
Difference between RON and AKI
Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere. 87 AKI octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91–92 RON in Europe. 93 AKI octane fuel, the "premium" gasoline, is 97-98 RON in Europe.

However most European pumps deliver 95 RON as "EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" (equivalent to 90–91 AKI). In Germany, Great Britain and some other countries, 98 RON as "SuperPlus" (93-94 AKI) is available almost everywhere. Even 100 RON (95-96 AKI), is widely sold, and BP sell 102 RON, marketed as "BP Ultimate 102", at some very select few filling stations.
      06-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

I'm running rich....my AFRs were like 10 on my post flash run (#2)....and on the first run on the dyno post-flash, the effin curve bottomed right out, out of range of the flippin graph......but my car doesn't smell rich at all at idle, from what I can tell....

why do you ask?
      06-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Yeah I think his is running rich and he is not so happy about it so he asked about everyone else?
      06-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
You'll notice it more at idle in a space like a garage. You'll also notice it on your back bumper.
residue on the back bumper is nothing new for me comming from a fiberglass injen exhaust. I have no carbon buildup or any residue besides dirt on the back bumper.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
Wikipedia is your friend.
Sparkplug, my concern is the fuel makeup rather than octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
I'm running rich....my AFRs were like 10 on my post flash run (#2)....and on the first run on the dyno post-flash, the effin curve bottomed right out, out of range of the flippin graph......but my car doesn't smell rich at all at idle, from what I can tell....

why do you ask?
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Yeah I think his is running rich and he is not so happy about it so he asked about everyone else?
Bingo!

Quote:
residue on the back bumper is nothing new for me comming from a fiberglass injen exhaust. I have no carbon buildup or any residue besides dirt on the back bumper.

ppp
Ok, thanks PP.
      06-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Sorry Bubbles, I thought you rang the RON number. But how is euro fuel different?

I do agree that the tune loves higher octane fuel, but haven't noticed any more soot build up on my exhaust pipes than I always had. Since I haven't sniffed exhaust since I could afford to buy beer, I have no comment on the smell test.

Steve Breen posted something about this a while back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.breen@dinan View Post
Thanks for the comparison graphs, Kelvin.

The Dinan tune runs richer than the JB3 and stock because it's necessary to run a richer mixture when increasing boost. As you increase cylinder pressure by adding boost, the mixture needs to be richened for a couple reasons. The first is to reduce detonation, a side effect of increased cylinder pressure. Incidentally, the reason why the JB3 power curve is so lumpy is because the knock control system is actively pulling timing back in order to save the engine from detonation. The second reason for a richer mixture is to reduce piston crown temperature and catalytic converter temperature to ensure long-term durability.

Our tech article titled "Safety Strategies for a BMW Turbo Control System" is a good resource for more information:

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technial-info
      06-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
Sorry Bubbles, I thought you rang the RON number. But how is euro fuel different?

I do agree that the tune loves higher octane fuel, but haven't noticed any more soot build up on my exhaust pipes than I always had. Since I haven't sniffed exhaust since I could afford to buy beer, I have no comment on the smell test.

Steve Breen posted something about this a while back:
No worries. Don't start sniffing pipes.
      06-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
damn thats pretty rich to have the soot on your bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Octane boost?

You guys recommend octane boost to get your stage 2 cars to run leaner?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Orb's latest comments from his thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I'm still testing gas mileage and now satisfied there is a real engine efficiency problem that is 100% repeatable. I am running a lot more test with BT pro tool.

The more information I getting about this tune the more I want out. I like to know why every Dinan car has 2A17 error code consistently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am starting to piece lot of information that pointing to the low pressure pump and would have a major effect on net positive suction on the HPFP. I don't expect people to understand this.

The fuel mixture and injection timing for this tune seems wrong. It like it was tuned for completely different emission system. It is not an error for the dyno shop that stoic is rich.

Just to be clear to everyone that Dinan is not as good as they seem. I was denied warranty on fuel pump because it would run with the stock car and not the Dinan software 8 months go. Dinan wanted to just to replace the spark plug but the DME errors data pointed to the fuel pump. I took over control of the direction of the repairs due to lack action by my dealer and Dinan and paid for fuel pump out of pocket. Dinan rescinded replacing plugs after the when they were removed so yet another cost to me but they did pay for fuel pump install labour as a jester. This action fixed the car but I’m out 700.00. I don’t have much confidence in Dinan resolving the issue with my car going by the past dealing with them.

At this point I rather take a refund because in a few year when I have no warranty the car going to have problems. This is my opinion so I will leave it at that until I gather more facts.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
damn thats pretty rich to have the soot on your bumper
I know, like a clear film of grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
You guys recommend octane boost to get your stage 2 cars to run leaner?
No, don't do add octane booster. Bad things can happen.
      06-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #19
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you feel the Dinan tune is causing these results... did you approach Dinan to buy back the tune ?

ppp
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
If you feel the Dinan tune is causing these results... did you approach Dinan to buy back the tune ?

ppp

PPP, I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but I wouldn't expect Dinan to buy my flash back. I enjoyed use of it.

However I do hope bringing some of these issues to light will spur some needed refinement on their end.

I've never had a warranty problems, but there will be better flash options very soon.
      06-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Thanks, didn't think octane was a good idea. I did my dyno on 93 octane and it was running rich. I had it on the dyno when it was stock, then with dinan stage 1 and now with stage 2. Besides the flash, everything else is stock on my xi coupe. Dinan stage 1 ran a bit richer on the dyno, but nothing noticeable. Stage 2 was noticeable around the pipes and the AFR's confirmed it. I wouldn't mind if there was a huge jump in power from stage 1 to stage 2, but there isn't. I actually like the throttle response on stage 1 better and it was easier to drive. Stage 2 1/4 times were better. I would probably go JP3 if my a$$ could go back in time. BTW, with stage 1 I didn't notice a difference in mpg, with stage 2 I'm down from 22mpg to 19.4mpg on my same weekly commute.
Appreciate 0