BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Got Pulled over Funny story.

06-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Got Pulled over Funny story.

Ok so me and 3 of my friends were bored last night and one of my friends has this really old beater 86 Civic he uses just for fun. So we decided to go take back roads and get lost and just see where we end up...Not much to do where I live..So after about 2 hours or so we end up in this small town, so we go to this gas station where my friend has a fake ID and gets a 40. As soon as we leave a cop passes us then turns around. So I was like throw that beer out dude, because he wasn't going to show the cop his fake ID. But he decides to keep it under the seat sense they have no reason so search us. So after he pulls us over he says, I pulled you over because you guys looked young. Can he ever do that????? Then he asks are you guys doing anything illegal tonight? And we proceed to tell him not at all. Then out of no where 4 more cop cars show up and they all just walk around the car. About 5 min later after he takes out ID's are checks us all up he comes back with another cop and says would It be alright if we searched the car? And after stumbling around my friend says well there's no need to. So the cops walks back and tell the other 5-6 cops that. Then after about 5 more minutes he comes back and says well I called another cop and the KN dog will be coming up to sniff around your car then. So we were like ok? So after 5 more minutes the dog came up and didn't find anything just kept jumping on the outside of the car and scratching the doors up. After that they finally just let us go...So we went back to the gas station and told the clerk and she said thats what they do here, the cops are bored so they all come when someone gets pulled over because they have nothing better to do.. Isn't that some bullshit? If was a fun experience but does anyone know if any of that is legal???
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's legal if there's a curfew in your area and they thought you were under 18....and yes they can have a K9 untit sniff your car anytime they want. My car gets sniffed by K9's all the time at border patrol checkpoints

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Really? we were all 20. It was all like 25 year old cops to, seemed like none of them really knew what was going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep

they're just bored and have nothing to do. they can search the car every and any time unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_mcfly View Post
they're just bored and have nothing to do. they can search the car every and any time unfortunately
Need probable cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

...lol

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
shahsk30
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@Motorwerks View Post
Need probable cause.
+1

You can always say no to the search. It's not against the law if you say no.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

so lemmie get this right....you're bitching because you did something illegal then you got pulled over?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Not bitching it was worth it. I didn't do anything illegal I didn't even know he bought it until we got back in the car. Its a beer, chill out. If we were all coked out it doesn't matter he pulled us over because "we looked young"
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Need probable cause.
sorry, i was looking it at another point of view
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

lol funny story indeed

Cops once chased me for about 10 miles, then as i was leaving the outer sides of the city , they pulled me over , said they thought i looked young, asked for papers and licence, and let me go.

After that , i continue further away from their patrolling area, following speed limit (70 km/h) , after about 2 minutes , they suddenly come up right into my ass at high speed, to check if i was driving away from them too fast ... lol. They must have been doing almost double the limit there to catch me like that since they were no where near even getting in their car the minute i took off Followed me for about 5 more kms to where i needed to be constantly right on my bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
lol funny story indeed

Cops once chased me for about 10 miles, then as i was leaving the outer sides of the city , they pulled me over , said they thought i looked young, asked for papers and licence, and let me go.

After that , i continue further away from their patrolling area, following speed limit (70 km/h) , after about 2 minutes , they suddenly come up right into my ass at high speed, to check if i was driving away from them too fast ... lol. They must have been doing almost double the limit there to catch me like that since they were no where near even getting in their car the minute i took off Followed me for about 5 more kms to where i needed to be constantly right on my bumper
How were you driving when you were on your bumper?
      06-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
and yes they can have a K9 untit sniff your car anytime they want. My car gets sniffed by K9's all the time at border patrol checkpoints
No they can't. If they don't have probable cause and you say no, they can not search you or your car,

Though border control I believe is different on that regard, but if you're already in the US and get pulled over, it is not legal to search a person or his car without his/her consent or probable cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
No they can't. If they don't have probable cause and you say no, they can not search you or your car,

Though border control I believe is different on that regard, but if you're already in the US and get pulled over, it is not legal to search a person or his car without his/her consent or probable cause.
If you say no, the cops can't search your car but, they can get a K9 dog to sniff out your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

didn't probable cause just go out the window a few months ago? something that expired or they overruled? maybe it was something else....anyhow, OP - don't do something stupid like that....just too risky and your record is on the line...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Need probable cause.
That's true but almost anything can be considered probably cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
9thwardboi
Waaaaaaaa! it's A N.O. thing baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 white E92 335i W/RED GUTTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
That's true but almost anything can be considered probably cause.
Probable cause is needed for the stop and the officer has to be able to articulate said probable cause. The the law in the state of Florida states an Officer can not hold you at a traffic stop for an unreasonable amount of time after he/she writes a traffic citation. The 5 minutes you waited for the KN Officer to arrive could be considered unlawful detention.

1..........9thwardboi............................. ..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
didn't probable cause just go out the window a few months ago? something that expired or they overruled? maybe it was something else....anyhow, OP - don't do something stupid like that....just too risky and your record is on the line...
No. Previously the police didn't need probably cause. They only really needed "reasonable suspicion", meaning if they pulled you over, and they felt that they were in danger of any sort, they could search your car. This was taken to excess by several LEOs, who actually searched the car of someone they had detained in a squad car who obviously posed no danger to them. The case went to SCOTUS. SCOTUS ruled in favor of the defendant. Probable cause and a warrant are now needed again unless you are near the car and pose a danger to the police officers. The case was Arizona v. Gant, and it was decided only a few months ago, maybe less.

If I got this wrong I'm sure yomama69 will straighten me out.

Last edited by radix; 06-05-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
shahsk30
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
No. Previously the police didn't need probably cause. They only really needed "reasonable suspicion", meaning if they pulled you over, and they felt that they were in danger of any sort, they could search your car. This was taken to excess by several LEOs, who actually searched the car of someone they had detained in a squad car who obviously posed no danger to them. The case went to SCOTUS. SCOTUS ruled in favor of the defendant. Probably cause and a warrant are now needed again unless you are near the car and pose a danger to the police officers. The case was Arizona v. Gant, and it was decided only a few months ago, maybe less.

If I got this wrong I'm sure yomama69 will straighten me out.
yomama will bring his whip...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Yeah the case law on the subject has been batted around a bit. Basically it is not clear cut anymore, it depend on any number of circumstances what is reasonable or not.

Let put it this way good your friend exercise his rights, but you got lucky, the police can make the dog respond and say it detected something and could have preceded to search. Using K9 is a nice trick the police use to grain access to a car when someone does not allow them to search or they can not see anything in plain sight and still feel something is wrong.

Problem is you can not interrogate a dog to see whether he smelled something. It depends on the handler and what he says the dog did. If they pull the dog trick saying it responded and they found the beer under the seat, you or your lawyer would be hard press to say the dog did not really respond.

The best thing to do is asked why you were stop and if they are not ticketing you or arresting you, you ask if you are free to go and keep asking that, they can detain you for a short period of time but they can not hold you unless you did something wrong or they plan to arrest you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

LOL, where was this at? Cops these day got nothing better to do. Here in SF, they love to pull people over with no front license plate. I mean come on, aren't there better things to do..?
Appreciate 0