E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Terrible behaviour by VW Main dealer....

07-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Angry Terrible behaviour by VW Main dealer....

Chaps,

I have refrained to airing this piece of dirty laundry till now, because I believe everyone can make a mistake and some take time to sort out....... but it's now just getting to be a joke !

In May I looked to change the M3 for something more family and work orientated, I looked long and hard as did my vehicle broker (Gareth @ Bespoke). I'm a fussy fecker, so it took some time to find a suitable chariot... but eventually one ticked all the boxes, a VW Touareg V10 TDi Altitude.

BLADE VW in Gloucester had a great example and at the time the best price in the UK. After negotiations were made, a holding deposit (without any verbal or written conditions) of £1000 was placed over the phone using my Barclaycard. (as they are 200 miles away from me).

However after scouring all the finance companies including options from VW, we found that the current climate has had some serious knock-on effects to financing vehicles, especialy prestige and 4x4's (I'm sure it applies to any credit) so it became impossible for me to proceed without committing financial hari-kari.

No alterations to the vehicle were requested to be made immedialy, the vehicle was not re-taxed (on our behalf anyway) and this all occured within a statatory 7-day cooling off period... so WHY DO THEY REFUSE TO GIVE THE HOLDING DEPOSIT BACK ?!?!?!?

I totally understand how loosing a sale is gutting, I hate it when it happens to one of my sales... but they have basically said and I quote the sales managers email here "Have spoken to my Managing Director and on the basis that we took the deposit unconditionally, we are not prepared to refund if." It was the MD's vehicle and he was/is upgrading to a Phaeton... maybe it threw a spanner in the works for that and he's just a bit peeved?

This is now nearly two months ago and they still have not sorted returning the deposit... they didn't even cover their own backs and send me the PDQ machine reciept for the £1000 and a copy of their terms and conditions.

I find this totally unprofessional behavior by the MD of a VW main dealer. His attitude is "we're big, your small... deal with it".

VW UK have been contacted and basically don't want to get involved... very helpful (!) and Barclaycard who i used to place the deposit with need copies of the receipts and T&Cs before they can proceed (even after explaining the vendor hadn't supplied any............ another nice bit of feel good customer service from India, well done Barclaycard!)

One thing I must say is Gareth @ Bespoke has been a true star and like a pitbull never let off the pressure to get this resolved... and also found me an alternative vehicle from a super helpful and professional BMW dealership in Redhill.

I left a message with the MD's secretary this morning, if I don't get a call back today I will instruct my solicitors to proceed with legal action to reclaim the deposit and all due costs inured by myself and Gareth.

As you can imagine, it's not just the money that has annoyed me, it the down right arrogance of the dealership towards a customer... I wasn't buying an umbrella... I was buying a £35k vehicle !!!

Rant over........ off to make a cup of herbal tea....

Blade Group website quote:

"Since launching in 1995 Blade Group has grown significantly to the point where today it represents eight car brands and six motorcycle brands from a total of fourteen dealerships across Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire. This growth has been achieved through the recognition that the only way to gain customer loyalty and support is through the commitment and ability of our staff, who we strive to continually develop in order to maintain and improve on a high degree of customer satisfaction. We take pride in delivering the ‘Blade’ experience…quality, performance, passion and enjoyment."

NO COMMENT !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

As a Leeds fan, I have only thing to say...

Get into 'em!!!

To which the kop end would respond...

Fuck 'em up!!!

Matt

PS (Aside from all the usual condolences etc, its a bit shit, going to court isnt fun but I 100% would also do that if I were you and I will be interested to see how it goes)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
As a Leeds fan, I have only thing to say...

Get into 'em!!!

To which the kop end would respond...

Fuck 'em up!!!

Matt

PS (Aside from all the usual condolences etc, its a bit shit, going to court isnt fun but I 100% would also do that if I were you and I will be interested to see how it goes)

Sorry to hear about this Paul

Just a thought - you don't necessarily need a solicitor. You can handle this all through the Small Claims Court, and the entire procedure is done online. All the advice is there too, and the cost is minimal.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...aims/index.htm

If I can help in anyway, let me know...
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Paul, I've used the small claims court before and it works!! I got full settlement for a deposit (not on a car, something else) plus all of my costs because the company did not respond to my claims or attempt to defend its actions in the required time. They were served with a Court Order and the Bailiffs visited and didn't leave until they had a big fat cheque!

Go for it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
shocking behaviour of shoddy dealerships in desperation. The fact that its the MD's car would make you think that they'd treat it different. Can't believe VW won't get involved, thats the Golf I was about to buy my step daughter now cancelled mate! 1 series it is for her even if it is more expensive.

yup small claims is the business crack on mate and I'll be sure to avoid these guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

gutted for you

Had similar $hit last year trying to get a credit from a company they debited my mastercard for £3250 for something i never even bought.

I think i would go into Barclays they must have a uk customer help line as a start. You will get your money back that i am confident off

out of order VAG
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Paul mate,

ever so sorry to hear of your predicament.

I do hope it gets resolved soon.
      07-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Something else..

Agree with everybody above with regard to the shoddy treatment from the VW dealer.

On the Charge/Credit card front, Use your monthly Credit card bank statements as proof of payment ( amount, date & to whom ).The Credit card company can't say It wasn't paid If It stand's on their own statement.

I also put a deposit down on a Jaguar XJ (!??) back in December of last year, saw It advertised on the dealers site (dealer in Birmingham),got a mate to test drive It then put a deposit down via Visa over the phone & asked that he e-mail me the receipt.

A couple of day's later I'd changed my mind & called to cancel ( he still hadn't e-mailed the receipt at this time).Told me straight away that I'd not get my deposit back, contacted Visa & had the same story no receipt/ no refund. Had to wait a month for my credit card statement to come through & contacted Visa again. They accepted their own statement as proof of payment & I got a full refund 6 weeks later..

Last edited by Geoffo; 07-24-2009 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Yep, Use the MCOL (money claim on-line) dead easy. Write to them giving a final 7 days to pay following which you will issue a summons through the small claims court. If they don't pay then initiate proceedings. They'll probably refund you when they get respondent the letter from the court.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Chaps,

I have refrained to airing this piece of dirty laundry till now, because I believe everyone can make a mistake and some take time to sort out....... but it's now just getting to be a joke !
I have recently been in a very similar situation.

Your first line of attack should be the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...g-regulations/

I assume you are already onto this to some extent as you have mentioned a cooling off period.

The big question here is:

"did you visit the dealer and view the vehicle?"

If not the distance selling regulations apply and Trading Standards will help you to recover your money.

If you did visit the dealer, it's possible that they do not apply. However, I would write to the dealer referring to the legislation in any event.

I did exactly this late last year and got my deposit back in full. In that case I had actually signed paperwork indicating it was non refundable.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I have recently been in a very similar situation.

Your first line of attack should be the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...g-regulations/

I assume you are already onto this to some extent as you have mentioned a cooling off period.

The big question here is:

"did you visit the dealer and view the vehicle?"

If not the distance selling regulations apply and Trading Standards will help you to recover your money.

If you did visit the dealer, it's possible that they do not apply. However, I would write to the dealer referring to the legislation in any event.

I did exactly this late last year and got my deposit back in full. In that case I had actually signed paperwork indicating it was non refundable.

Was just about to pitch in with that one NFS. DSR apply here and the dealer should know that.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Was just about to pitch in with that one NFS. DSR apply here and the dealer should know that.
But be careful. If you visit the dealer and view the vehicle, then later agree to purchase it at a distance, the distance selling regs may not apply.

Depends if the dealer is prepared to risk finding out in court
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

It may be that I live under a rock but I can't actually believe there are LEGITIMATE businesses out there that so blatantly flout the law and treat someone in this way. Sorry to hear this Paul.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I'm with NFS on this one.

Sorry to hear about this Paul and hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Small Claims Court!!! It Works!...i Used It Before!...if Its Under £25k...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I would say for a start that they said they would only swipe the card once finance had been arranged.
As far as you are concerned they have now taken an illegal payment, no receipts, no copy, in fact the first thing you knew about it was checking your balance online.

Theft is a serious issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Sorry to hear about this Paul. Hope you get it sorted.

Blade are everywhere around here these days, and I'm not sure that is a good thing. Never had any direct dealings with them other than being unimpressed with customer service when just looking at cars in the showroom.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I would say for a start that they said they would only swipe the card once finance had been arranged.
As far as you are concerned they have now taken an illegal payment, no receipts, no copy, in fact the first thing you knew about it was checking your balance online.

Theft is a serious issue.
Unfortunately this will get you nowhere with the authorities.

Unless you can prove fraud, the system favours vendors in terms of 'card not present' transactions.

In my case I was advised by trading standards and my credit card company that there was no way to stop a deposit payment being made once the dealer had completed the transaction electronically.

This was despite the fact that I cancelled BEFORE any money left my account.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #19
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
find the big bad boss man of the group explain the legal action u'll take and that you'll contact all the auto magazines to publically make it known whats going on...i think at times like this...that'll hurt them big time.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

SCUM

If this was me i would be going mental , For what its worth your card provider will proberbly refund you regardless of what blaze group do .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Thanks for all your comments chaps...

Well....

Tried to speak with the MD on Friday but he was "with someone" in the morning then "not at the dealership" in the afternoon.

But he had left a message with his secretary saying "if you'd like to put what you're after in writing we will take a look at it".... cheeky fecker....

This is utter bull, as we've sent several emails over the past few weeks... tried to speak with him but he just avoids the calls... chicken **** !

Have posted a copy of all emails and a "please reply by Friday"....

I'll call them again during the week to make sure they have received it all... if they still won't budge or take my calls I'll go the Small claims route.

B +++
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Paul, just go in there mate!

EDIT (Just realised your miles away from them)