E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Remap or Tuning box. whats everyones thoughts?

07-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Remap or Tuning box. whats everyones thoughts?

hi all

I've been pondering over the whole tuning route for my 320d for a while now and always read the posts on guys tuning there motors on here. I went to speak to my local superchip dealer for advice as i've been considering the bluefin option. He said there great but he would map it himself for me for same price and if BMW flash the ecu and wipe it he'll put it back on no problems. I've also considered the tuning box route and mentioned it too him, but his reply was no way! All they do it trick the fuel rail into pumping more in and can cause all sorts of problems which guys on here have encountered. With a proper remap the fuel,boost,revs etc etc are all altered and tuned which would give a better more smooth result.

So I really just want to hear anyones thoughts as the tuning boxs are a good bit cheaper but at what risks to the car. I also for a brief second considered buying the software and flash lead and doing it myself. A quick search on tinternet soon put that to bed.not advisable!

cheers

mike
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you've answered your own questions.

I would have preferred to go with a remap but I don't outright own my car. I went for a Spider box due to good reviews, no issues seem to be had by anyone. I can remove at anytime when its in for a service. I can sell it when I hand the car back and recover some cash back.

Either way get it done and your 320d will be liberated with 200+ bhp.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
thanks for the reply mate. I read what you thought of your spider box and then when you spoke to the fella who said you could adjust it for more power! that must of been like christmas! haha. That is a valid point about being able to punt it on once the car has gone!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
webby318dEMS
Spider powered!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d Edition M Sport saloon

I've also got a spider box on my car, and it makes the car almost petrol like to drive in the way it revs much more freely now. Whichever choice you make you wont regret it.

If you prefer the remap route give the guys at evolve a call. very knowledgeable & professional.
I chose the tuning box route as I have a bad habit of changing my car too often!
      07-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Re-map is the more advanced way to tune an ECU, tuning boxes are cheaper because they are less technical and cost a lot less to develop.

Either way its what ever suits your personal circumstances.

If I had a company car I would buy a tuning box, as I own my car I want the piece of mind of a proper map.

A tuning box in my opinion is a half way house.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #6
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe / Boxster S 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Re-map is the more advanced way to tune an ECU, tuning boxes are cheaper because they are less technical and cost a lot less to develop.

Either way its what ever suits your personal circumstances.

If I had a company car I would buy a tuning box, as I own my car I want the piece of mind of a proper map.

A tuning box in my opinion is a half way house.
Hi guys - newbie here and considering a remap but now I'm confused....

Was considering an Evolve Switch. Is this considered a tuning box?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

I have the spider also, never heard of anyone having issues with them so far. However, I have looked into some 'others' which only increase the fuel rail pressure thus putting strain on the pump and assiciated components. My understanding is that the Spider box cycles the fuel differently and adds a little pressure here and there but not excessive, but the fuel cycling is key to the performance it gives. I know a guy who paid £100 for a box to tune his Golf TDI, we opened it up and it was a resisitor and a lump of bluetac to give it some weight, so beware of the cheaper options. The spider seems to have a good name. I knew a guy who remapped his diesel (peugeot) and it smoked like hell afterwards, esp in the morning.
      07-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushall View Post
Hi guys - newbie here and considering a remap but now I'm confused....

Was considering an Evolve Switch. Is this considered a tuning box?
No. The Evolve switch is a way of loading the new performance map on to the car without having to visit their premises.

You can also remove it at will when the car has a service. My opinion if you live near Evolve get them to map it, if its a long drive and you cant find the time get the switch.

I had the map as I live 30 miles away and visiting their premises is always interesting as there is normally another BMW on the rollers and the guys are 100% straight
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe / Boxster S 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
No. The Evolve switch is a way of loading the new performance map on to the car without having to visit their premises.

You can also remove it at will when the car has a service. My opinion if you live near Evolve get them to map it, if its a long drive and you cant find the time get the switch.

I had the map as I live 30 miles away and visiting their premises is always interesting as there is normally another BMW on the rollers and the guys are 100% straight
Thanks mate - is the map on premises the same as the map on the switch?

I like the idea of being able to remove the map pre/post service etc.

That said, I drive up to Leeds pretty regularly so could drop in en-route.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: soon to be 440iM Sport Coupe

Spider box for sale for a 320d in the for sale section
      07-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Its the same map but I think the software is written slightly differently when its loaded onto the switch.

The net result is the same though same performance etc.
Appreciate 0