E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > radar/laser detector recommendations for CHP, nor cal

07-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

radar/laser detector recommendations for CHP, nor cal

well, just got pulled over for speeding (first time ever in 17 years of driving). while i do tend to speed and drive aggressively, i've always followed a few guidelines:
-keep out of the fast lane
-always keep eyes on the rear view mirror (and all around) looking out for the crown vic shape
-always slow down around corners or crests of hill (where there might be a cop lurking on the other side)

unfortunately, a moment of inattention just now and some CHP pig was able to clock me at 79. given this, i wanted to see what forum members suggestions were for radar/laser detecters..
-does laser work that well at night (wouldnt it be tough for the cop to aim at the front license plate and get a good return in the dark?)
-what does the CHP in nor cal typically use?
-what device would you recommend for avoiding CHP specifically?

i'll also ask a few of my EE friends, but wanted to know what folks on the forum had used, thanks in advance
      07-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

no idea on nor cal but doubt its much diff than so cal

the more chrome in front the worse (chrome grill, plate, etc)

and they dont need a great reading

if you're the only one, they can get you

i love my V1
but it doesnt work on freeways

most chp pace you or see you pass them IMO cause it's hard to laser/radar on the freeway.... (highways are different but still)

you also really have no 'legal' protection against laser...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
mdxh99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
you can detect radar before you get hit with it, but laser is too fast...

i use a passport 9500, works great, i get about a 2 mile headsup for radar, not too many false alarms...

i read in another forum of a similar thread, a few of those guys use a radar detector in addition, a bct scanner, basicaly a scanner that picks up a shitload of frequences like EMS, CHP, local police, even aircrafts that are used to radar cars. this would be useful when on the highway when you run into a speedtrap or a cop on the side of the road issuing a bolo for you car, you hear them on the radio, you can just pull over and wait it out, etc.

i definitely gotta save up for one of those, sounds useful
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
RichMattB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M3, e70 X5 4.8i

Man, the cop hating is getting a little juvenile. It detracts from the credibility of this site.

The CHP guy is a pig cause he clocked you speeding which you admittedly do as a matter of routine?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMattB View Post
Man, the cop hating is getting a little juvenile. It detracts from the credibility of this site.

The CHP guy is a pig cause he clocked you speeding which you admittedly do as a matter of routine?

OP didn't mean any harm.We do not bash LEO on this site.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMattB View Post

It's understandable the OP is frustrated but I agree with the above. You were speeding, he nailed you. Unfortunate but you really can't run around complaining.

If you have one ticket in 17 years of driving (while admittedly speeding and driving aggressively) consider yourself lucky. You'll be better off with your strategies than a piece of technology in this case. Also, instant-on radar is capable of getting your speed instantly, just like laser. All cops have instant-on now, it just depends if they're sitting there turning it on/off. Obviously, its most efficient in low-traffic areas.

You may find this site interesting: http://www.guysoflidar.com - but note that jammers have been explicitly made illegal in CA.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

another member posted this web site a little while ago and it has some cool info you might be able to use. also, it should say on your ticket what kind of device was used. you might be able to use the basic speed law to get out of it if he wrote down the right code. http://www.helpigotaticket.com/sitemap.html
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the helpful posts guys. i'm interested in tactics that the CHP is using, as back in the day they used to pace you (so it was relatively easy to keep an eye out), but now they have lidar and radar at their disposal. the other factor in this incident is that this CHP car did NOT have reflective strips on the back of the trunklid--in the past, these have been very helpful in indicating an otherwise completely hidden speed trap. a couple of questions:
-how efficient is the return from complex surfaces for the lidar (as anothe rposter mentioned, the chrome grille, etc)?
-approximate at what range do lidar and radar offer optimum performance?
-how good (if at all) are the v1, k40, passport, etc at picking up stray returns from the cops nailing people ahead of you (both lidar, radar)?

thanks in advance

as for referring to LEO's as pigs, that is my perogative. if it's deemed to be 'juvenile', so be it. i'm sure some of the people on this forum have negative opinions of other professions (investment bankers, management consultants, hedge fund traders, etc).
      07-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
Can't remember what it was but my grandpa rolls around with one of those detectors that detects up to 5 miles and has a police walkie talkie looking thing (like a military radio) that gets all the frequencies when he goes out to race.
more details please

i want i want lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
chaze
Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: ebony and iiiivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
you can detect radar before you get hit with it, but laser is too fast...

i use a passport 9500, works great, i get about a 2 mile headsup for radar, not too many false alarms...

i read in another forum of a similar thread, a few of those guys use a radar detector in addition, a bct scanner, basicaly a scanner that picks up a shitload of frequences like EMS, CHP, local police, even aircrafts that are used to radar cars. this would be useful when on the highway when you run into a speedtrap or a cop on the side of the road issuing a bolo for you car, you hear them on the radio, you can just pull over and wait it out, etc.

i definitely gotta save up for one of those, sounds useful
I have this app on my iphone, Emergency Radio. It streams their radio chatter in, however not all agencies have put their frequencies online.
2008 A4 2.0t Phantom Black -- Not Stock
Piczzz
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaze View Post
I have this app on my iphone, Emergency Radio. It streams their radio chatter in, however not all agencies have put their frequencies online.
I saw something like that on CNN or the internet about in Washington DC the cops there say that people that use the iPhone app that tells them where all the cameras and speed detectors are, are cowardly. LOL Washington DC cops are the biggest haters.

I say to the OP: just get a V1, its really the best thing and has saved me numerous times while driving. Although I did tend to drive more on the safe side and not speed as much as did in my E46. But it already paid for itself with the E46 so
      07-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
well, just got pulled over for speeding (first time ever in 17 years of driving). while i do tend to speed and drive aggressively, i've always followed a few guidelines:
-keep out of the fast lane
-always keep eyes on the rear view mirror (and all around) looking out for the crown vic shape
-always slow down around corners or crests of hill (where there might be a cop lurking on the other side)

unfortunately, a moment of inattention just now and some CHP pig was able to clock me at 79. given this, i wanted to see what forum members suggestions were for radar/laser detecters..
-does laser work that well at night (wouldnt it be tough for the cop to aim at the front license plate and get a good return in the dark?)
-what does the CHP in nor cal typically use?
-what device would you recommend for avoiding CHP specifically?

i'll also ask a few of my EE friends, but wanted to know what folks on the forum had used, thanks in advance
sorry you got pulled over, that is never fun, however, you were speeding & he was just doing his job.

my ex gf lives in sonoma & i made the drive from LA-nor-cal probably 15 times over the last couple years. i don't drive slow, i try, it's impossible.

so to answer your questions:
i've never been hit by laser on all the times i've driven up & i know a couple of chp's in sonoma/nor-cal & they don't use laser, i'm not sure abotu the chp's in the sf & immediate surroundng areas but i haven't ever been hit by laser. just the normal chp KA band & i would highly suggest the V1 for chp specifically, it has saved me on numerous occasions driving to nor-cal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

actually, thats where i got nailed, NB 101 in sonoma country (santa rosa ave exit). i've noticed a heavier police presence in the last few years, especially at night. as you go north of san rafael, there are a couple of crests, bends and other spots where i'll see a speedtrap setup

might be time for a v1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
sorry you got pulled over, that is never fun, however, you were speeding & he was just doing his job.

my ex gf lives in sonoma & i made the drive from LA-nor-cal probably 15 times over the last couple years. i don't drive slow, i try, it's impossible.

so to answer your questions:
i've never been hit by laser on all the times i've driven up & i know a couple of chp's in sonoma/nor-cal & they don't use laser, i'm not sure abotu the chp's in the sf & immediate surroundng areas but i haven't ever been hit by laser. just the normal chp KA band & i would highly suggest the V1 for chp specifically, it has saved me on numerous occasions driving to nor-cal.
      07-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

+1 on the V1

+1 on fighting the ticket.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
no idea on nor cal but doubt its much diff than so cal

the more chrome in front the worse (chrome grill, plate, etc)

and they dont need a great reading

if you're the only one, they can get you

i love my V1
but it doesnt work on freeways

most chp pace you or see you pass them IMO cause it's hard to laser/radar on the freeway.... (highways are different but still)

maybe you need an update for your v1 because mine works perfectly on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

mine is updated... but i rarely ever pick up anything except X or K and that's when i pass busy districts where you're on a bridge and there are shopping centers near by...

on the freeway i think radar is useless for cops if its busy...
i mean, if you are going 85, not in the fast lane, and there are cars around you, how are they going to pin point on you?
it's a laser that is pointed at a car, radar spans out...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

yeah, the lidar is a much more coherent beam than radar. since both are line-of-sight, i try and avoid the fast lane as much as possible.