Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

Puncture! Advice please

Was a little bored tonight so thought I'd go for a blat....oops.

Heard a pop within 200m of leaving the house, thought "can't be" then a couple of mins later the tyre pressure monitor bonged to warn of the potential need to sell a kidney...

Clever system - I couldn't visibly see the flat but the hissing was a giveaway. Soon enough, the left rear was notably flat so I set about deciphering the instructions of the M Mobility kit.

I've gunked it, driven it, re-inflated it and it looks like it might not be holding pressure.

Either way, it needs looking at.

My Q's are:

- I've had several punctures repaired in the past - would you on an M3's rear?

- If it needs replacing (fair enough if so), the tyres have done 2,700 miles, do I need to change both rears?

- Finally, on the assumption that the price is more or less the same, would you recommend the dealer changing the tyre or a trusted independent?

Thanks in advance and ....'Oh cock'

Ta.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and I forgot to ask: to add insult to injury, can anyone tell me how much a can of M Mobility Gunk is please?

(You have to laugh...I think?)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

If the puncture is not too close to the edge of the sidewall less than 1", it should be easily repairable. To do it correctly, it will need to go to a tire shop, be dismounted from the wheel, and patched from the inside. The only possible hitch here is that some say once you use the "gunk," it is hard to clean out for a proper repair. However, you don't need to go to a dealer. Any decent tire shop can do this in their sleep.

If it is a large gash or too close to the sidewall it may not be repairable (not likely from what you described), you should not need to purchase 2 tires with that mileage.

Don't bother with the "gunk." Purchase a tire repair kit ($15) on eBay, and plug it for a more reliable temporary repair. You can then use your OEM air pump to re-inflate.
      07-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Watch out that whoever takes off/changes your tyres doesn't hack your alloys.

I had a REAL bad experience on my last 335 where they screwed 3 out of 4 of the rims and they all had to be repaired.

Now I do a walk around with the manager to make sure they know there are no marks BEFORE they start. Then do a walk round when they've finished to double check all's OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

It all depends on how you drive and where you drive the car as well. If you are taking it to trackdays; DO NOT REPAIR! otherwise not a problem as to what Mollox described.
      07-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys

Well, I've learnt a bit in the last couple of days. Apparently, if you use the M Mobility kit then the tyre can't be repaired...great! If only I'd known that, seeing as I was less than a mile from home, 300m from a petrol station - and the fact that the tyre was completely flat again the next day.

Am getting a new tyre tomorrow and taking it to the dealer's in the end - could have saved £50 or so but the mobile independent I was thinking of using couldn't do it on sat so, goodbye pointless £350

For a while I wondered if I didn't have to change both rears, so in that way (somehow) its a relief!

Last edited by Mollox; 07-31-2009 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Get your dealer to price match! Mine advertises this and always honours the offer!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks - I did ask about price-matching, but not so, apparently...

Anyhow, as a consequence, I now have a 2 month old 265/35/19 PS2 XL sat in my hallway with what looks like a perfectly repairable puncture in it. I can't understand why people would say you can't repair a gunked tyre - the gunk hadn't even set so I just hosed it off.

I was thinking "Coffee table" but now its just in the way so open to offers.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollox View Post
Thanks - I did ask about price-matching, but not so, apparently...

Anyhow, as a consequence, I now have a 2 month old 265/35/19 PS2 XL sat in my hallway with what looks like a perfectly repairable puncture in it. I can't understand why people would say you can't repair a gunked tyre - the gunk hadn't even set so I just hosed it off.

I was thinking "Coffee table" but now its just in the way so open to offers.
You could always take it up to Kwik-Fit to see if they'll repair it now it's clean, and then keep it in your garage/shed until you need it? They had a job repairing my recent punture because the Michellins are so shiney on the inside, but they did a great job, and no problems since... didn't even charge me for the repair.
      08-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks - have had a couple of tyres repaired at Kwik Fit without problem.

However, if anyone wants to buy it, I'd rather they repair it to their own satisfaction - its only £12 I believe but pays to feel comfortable about these things.

And unfortunately I don't have a shed/garage - which is part of the problem!
Appreciate 0