E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got a 335d with clunker money.

07-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Got a 335d with clunker money.

Wow torque. Torque makes the car feel faster than it is. Bought the launch car cheap. So far my impression after 500 miles is. Good economy unless you step on the go pedal. I always step on the go pedal. Big difference in mpg depending on how you drive. Passing cars on the highway is excellent and quick. Engine is louder around town and quieter on the highway. Barbera red gets better looking the longer you have it. Inline 6 does sound better. 328i feels more nimble from being 500 lb. lighter. Can't tell the difference between the GM or ZF auto. The wheels look great and I'm glad the RFT are Continental.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
chrisdridley
Road Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Welcome to the 335d club. I have had mine for a month and 6200 miles and the more I drive it, the more I like it. I hope you feel the same about yours.

Check out my blog on the 335d. The link is below.

Last edited by chrisdridley; 07-31-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
Good economy unless you step on the go pedal. I always step on the go pedal.

Congrats!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

Quote:
Wow torque. Torque makes the car feel faster than it is. Bought the launch car cheap. So far my impression after 500 miles is. Good economy unless you step on the go pedal. I always step on the go pedal. Big difference in mpg depending on how you drive. Passing cars on the highway is excellent and quick. Engine is louder around town and quieter on the highway. Barbera red gets better looking the longer you have it. Inline 6 does sound better. 328i feels more nimble from being 500 lb. lighter. Can't tell the difference between the GM or ZF auto. The wheels look great and I'm glad the RFT are Continental.
Congratulations! I bought one of the launch vehicles 10 days ago and I love it. I got such a good deal ,that I bought it when I really wasn't looking for a car.

The torque is really entertaining, which is a word I wouldn't use to describe most diesels. You certainly don't have to wait to feel the power.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

awesome car..
congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdridley View Post
Welcome to the 335d club. I have had for a month and 6200 miles and the more I drive it, the more I like it. I hope you feel the same about yours.

Check out my blog on the 335d. The link is below.

http://www.thelonghighway.com/

This is one of the bet blogs on the web. Nice job!
I read the whole thing last night and I learned a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep

One more thing. . .

This car has a DIPSTICK. I like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

You're welcome! Glad to see our US tax dollars go to support a German car company. That'll help the economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
You're welcome! Glad to see our US tax dollars go to support a German car company. That'll help the economy.
don't the clunker payments sit in lieu of the trade-in which would go to the US based dealer as cash instead of a car on the lot?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
It sure is helping the economy...just not the US economy and the government didn't restrict the 'Cash for Clunkers' program to US made vehicles. Who is to blame for that?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
It sure is helping the economy...just not the US economy and the government didn't restrict the 'Cash for Clunkers' program to US made vehicles. Who is to blame for that?
The people we elected to Congress and the White House.

They should have made it for US Auto companies only, if they were trying to help the economy by helping the US Auto companies.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
alq80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
One more thing. . .

This car has a DIPSTICK. I like that.
now that, i wish i had!!! i hate relying on electronic bs ;(
      07-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can appreciate your sentiment but allow me to briefly explain.

The car was sold by an American, whose American Sales Mgr was grateful.
The very pretty American receptionist was pleased to take all my calls as was the American detailer at the dealership when I tipped him for the nice hand wax. The American trucker who brought the car from S. Carolina was happy to haul, and the mostly American mechanics and rest stop personnel were happy to provide the help when he made a brief pit-stop en route to the dealer. You get the point. I am leaving out at least 1000 other Americans who are positively affected by this minimal cash injection jump-start from the Federal Reserve for just one car sold from this program. The clunker program will pay dividends to thousands of working Americans for years to come long after the purchase is made. This program reaps WAY more than it sows for the American people and BTW also the environment. I could elaborate but I have to buy some American made wax to detail my new German car.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:

The very pretty American receptionist was pleased to take all my calls as was the American detailer at the dealership when I tipped him for the nice hand wax. The American trucker who brought the car from S. Carolina was happy to haul, and the mostly American mechanics and rest stop personnel were happy to provide the help when he made a brief pit-stop en route to the dealer. You get the point. I am leaving out at least 1000 other Americans who are positively affected by this minimal cash injection jump-start from the Federal Reserve for just one car sold from this program. The clunker program will pay dividends to thousands of working Americans for years to come long after the purchase is made. This program reaps WAY more than it sows for the American people and BTW also the environment. I could elaborate but I have to buy some American made wax to detail my new German car.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
That's exactly right.

Congrats to the OP as well.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
The people we elected to Congress and the White House.

They should have made it for US Auto companies only, if they were trying to help the economy by helping the US Auto companies.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The US auto companies already got billions in bailout money. Apparently none of it helped them, and GM and Chrysler both filed BK, and wasted all of our tax money. Doesn't that piss you off? If those companies could not find a way to use all that money to become profitable, how would this small clunker program do it? Dumping more money into an outdated and failed business plan is not smart spending IMO.

Kudos for FORD for actually having a business plan that works in a modern international market, and NOT taking bailout money. It's all about corporate evolution. Either you adapt and change with the market, or you go away. It's clear which companies were not on board with this. Modern Capitalism is not about saving an old company because they no longer know how to operate efficiently in a modern competitive world.

(rant off)

The bottom line is that clunker money helps Americans that work for all types of car dealerships, not just a select few. And just so you know, the news did a story here last night on one of the big Ford dealerships, and how they had a big surge in business because of this program.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
DrunkOnJ20
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP E90 :(

Congrats!
      07-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
335d is awesome, had mine 2 years... Proper car.

tune it.

I did.
      07-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
toymaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. The US auto companies already got billions in bailout money. Apparently none of it helped them, and GM and Chrysler both filed BK, and wasted all of our tax money. Doesn't that piss you off?
It does piss me off. Much better to teach a man to fish than to give him one.
I think this clunker program does just that and I would have preferred to see it invested with 100 Billion dollars instead of just 1 billion. CARS program is better bang for the taxpayer buck than a cash handout. Plus I get thrown back into the seat while emitting less CO2
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

congrats man! enjoy !
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

I read an article in my paper today that said the Gov Clunker money incentive may com to an end next Thurs at Midnight.
Better hurry if you want to buy!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:

GOD BLESS AMERICA
God damn right!! This was my exact feelign as I was reading through some of the responses..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Exactly. It's a global economy these days. And with the way that various countries' tax structures are set up, money may not even be transfered back to the 'home country' and instead stays with the U.S.-based entity.

And OP, congrats on the new car.

Last edited by lucas.kent; 07-31-2009 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0