E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 330i Power Loss

08-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
thomask
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

E90 330i Power Loss

Hi guys,

Am hoping someone can help shed some light on a problem which is occuring to my poor old car.
My car is going in for the same fault for the 6th time this week and it's concerning that I don't think they have a clue what the problem is.
My car is a 330i (auto) on a 57 plate with approx 15k miles, over the past couple of months I have had an intermittent problem where I lose power at low speeds. As an example I will approach a roundabout try to apply the throttle with no response at all (It's not the traction control kciking in as the garage initally tried to say it was nor my driving style as they also tried to say it was), it seems to be a problem when the car is in second gear and then struggles to find first gear when needing to accelerate. The car pauses for around 0.5 seconds whilst it thinks about what to do and then accelerates. The fault is getting worse and is starting to become dangerous so any help is gratefully appreciated. So far the garage has tried "restting" the car and updating the software (although not too sure what this involved).

Am a newbie to this site so go easy on me :-)

Thanks in advance......
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sounds like a ECU or gearBox software issue.

How long have you owned?
      08-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Hi guys,

Am hoping someone can help shed some light on a problem which is occuring to my poor old car.
My car is going in for the same fault for the 6th time this week and it's concerning that I don't think they have a clue what the problem is.
My car is a 330i (auto) on a 57 plate with approx 15k miles, over the past couple of months I have had an intermittent problem where I lose power at low speeds. As an example I will approach a roundabout try to apply the throttle with no response at all (It's not the traction control kciking in as the garage initally tried to say it was nor my driving style as they also tried to say it was), it seems to be a problem when the car is in second gear and then struggles to find first gear when needing to accelerate. The car pauses for around 0.5 seconds whilst it thinks about what to do and then accelerates. The fault is getting worse and is starting to become dangerous so any help is gratefully appreciated. So far the garage has tried "restting" the car and updating the software (although not too sure what this involved).

Thanks in advance......
I think Carl is right - sounds like the gearbox software. But then if the dealer has updated the software this should have been sorted.

Have you tried disabling DSC+ (press and hold the button for 5 secs).

Interesting to know if it still happens after you do this.

On my old 530d I used to knock the car into 1st gear manually, because it tended to bog down in the way you describe if I let the car manage the gears itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
thomask
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Have had the car since almost new (car only had 400 miles on the clock). Car had been fine up to about 3 months ago when this fault started to occur... The most frustrating thing is that nothing is showing up on BMW's diagnosis software they are running and as mentioned they initially said it could be a feature of the car (which is rubbish!!)...... I haven't tried to disable the DSC will give that a go to see what happens but am a bit cautious in doing this will have to make sure it's a dry day outside when turning it off :-)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Took my car in for engine loss problem recently...work carried out under warranty...technician told me it was a "vanos" issue...and didn't really understand what he said after that....he will send me the full report this week, so i'll post it up...think they "reset" the ecu as well....as the car now is smoother and the gear changes seem more responsive...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
sur444
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance......

Hi i seem to be getting the same did you ever sort it out?
Appreciate 0