E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Spider tuning box pins

08-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Spider tuning box pins

Alrighty! (I meant jumpersby the way not pins)

I have looked through certain posts etc regarding the pins on these and how they are set, now mine is set for bottom row = 5 top row = 6.

How is yours set up and have you experienced any issues?? Just trying and get a definative guide to what every body is using and how they find it.

Thanks
      08-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yours sounds like the default setting

Previously discussed here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...er+jumper+pins

I am now running top row = 9, bottom row 7. I tried bottom row at 8 and kept going into safe mode. I took the box off a week ago for service. Noticed the engine felt weaker but not massively. However the difference was far more noticeable on putting it back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Cool!

Yeah I have read other posts but it was just to get a definative guide for myself first and foremost to see what every one is running.

Any idea how the RPM adjustment works? I am unsure as to what this does.
      08-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
monkeynuts
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Hey Walesy...

I've been seeking something definitive on this myself for a while but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. From my own experience and having read/written a lot of posts on the subject, I think it really is a case of trying it out for yourself. The advice I had from Mike (at Spider) was put the power as far up as it will go without it causing smoking/running problems and that the RPM should be ok anywhere between 5 and 8 - depending on how you like it!

After quite a bit of experimentation, I have my Power pin 2 from the right and the RPM pin 3 from the right (this is on the 163bhp version BTW). I had the RPM a couple of pins down towards the left for a while and it makes it feel much more responsive but it runs out of puff at 3,500rpm so actually works out slower.

I Recently went on a long drive abroad with a carload of people and luggage -I averaged 53.3mpg and around 630 miles from a tank - so it is definately working! As for performance, like always, after a few weeks you get used to it and it might leave you wondering if it's still working. In my case, I took mine off out of curiousity and was releived to find that I did notice quite a drop in performance, thus confirming it was still delivering the extra power.

Last edited by monkeynuts; 08-09-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0