E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bought out of state...title info?

08-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i 6MT

Bought out of state...title info?

I bought my CPO 335i last week out of state, and went to get it titled in my home state today, and was told that I needed the title of transfer to the car. Looking through my docs, realized I don't have it, so I emailed the sales guy, and he said it takes 3 weeks for it to go through the title bureau before it's mailed to me...does this sound legit?

I realized that I probably should've asked for it at the purchase, but never bought a car out of state before, should it take this long to get the title?

Also, I did not finance through BMW, I used capital one, would the title go to them first? I always though you only get the title after the car is completely paid off...but not sure in these instances when it's bought out of state, and required for registration/tags in my current home state.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

The selling party should have had title in hand and should have transfered it over to you upon completion of sale. This is typically done by both parties signing the applicable areas on the backside of the title where it indicates "title transfer". I'd ask him why he doesn't have the title.

If the seller doesn't have the title, it could take a while to get a title copy from the local vehicle registration department.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, I bought it from a dealership too, shouldn't they have it in hand? I bought in Ohio in case that matters. Thing is, my temp tags only last 30 days, so if it's really 3 weeks, it'll be cutting it close to driving without registration
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

You should be able to get an extension to your temp tags, but I'd have the dealer handle the details since this isn't your fault (except for accepting the vehicle without title). I'm sure this is not the first time your local DMV has seen this scenario.

If you bought from a dealer, there's no excuse why they don't have title unless the party that traded it in didn't provide title. But the dealer should have required title from the previous owner before accepting the vehicle for trade in.

Again, call them up and ask why they don't have a title on hand to transfer to you. Also, let them know your temp tags are coming due and what are they going to do about it if you don't receive the title before hand.

Having worked on a Title and Registration IT project for the Dept of Revenue in Colorado, I can tell you the process of getting a new title is lengthy because of all the fraud investigation that comes along with it. The State doesn't want to issue a new title to someone that doesn't have the previous title because they have no way to confirm that the vehicle wasn't stolen or salvaged or has any other adverse history behind it. Issuing a new title when there's no previous title to surrender usually requires a VIN verification (usually done by the local PD) and usually some sort of bond/gurantee and an affidavit. This is why the process is so lengthly in Colorado.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Yea you're right, I'm going to speak with the sales guy, see why they don't have it and what's the holdup...thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

my sales guy emailed me back...guess all I can do is wait it out in the meantime, will update when I get more news

"Yes it is about a 2-3 week process because we have to get the title
transferred from our name to your name with the state then get it sent to
you. That's why we get a 30 day tag."
Appreciate 0